AC Log 6.8.5.2 - Please Test Manual Resizing!

Scott Davis

Hi All,

I am still working on the manual resizing code and need another round of testing.  Please go ahead and close AC Log.  Then try this 6.8.5.2 Beta (no need to uninstall your previous version).

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

The main difference from 6.8.5.1 is that I was using the whole area (height X width) change to calculate the font size change, but that was leading to some unintended results.  It also created some rounding issues on multiple resizes.  Version 6.8.5.2 ONLY resizes the fonts on height changes.  Dragging the edges wider or narrower will have no affect on the font size.  If you want the fonts to shrink, make the form shorter or drag it higher to make them larger.

Please keep in mind that the scaling is not specific to individual controls and the sizing feature will definitely not satisfy everyone.  If you contort the form, have expectations of large fonts regardless of size, are running a resolution less than 1920 X 1080, etc., you will probably want to keep the existing behavior by simply not manually resizing the form, or entering a form size other than 100%.  The folks that will find the new sizing features most useful are those running larger monitors at resolutions higher than 1920 X 1080.  In short, this will be a new tool for those that need it, while the software can easily be configured to continue to behave as always for those that don't.

For example, if I manually size the LoTW form, which is designed for a 16 X 9 display ratio in a contorted way, the fonts will overlap.

Capture1.JPG

But as long as you keep the form to roughly the intended design ratio, the form can be scaled down considerably and still look pretty good:

Capture2.JPG

So, here are the things to test (please try these on both the main form and the LoTW form):

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%).  Please keep the form close the the intended design ratio (16 X 9) for best results.

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly (AC Log only has the maximize button).

-  Double clicking on the title bar will also resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.  This code had to be implemented differently than the maximize button, so it needs to be tested separately.

Please go ahead and install AC Log 6.8.5.2 Beta.  There is no need to uninstall the previous version:

Please let me know how you make out!

Thanks loads for your help!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Dave

Scott,

Just trying this for the first time on a different computer with no data and it seems to do somewhat OK here.
Starting from a small screen I can make ACL smaller from top to bottom and the fonts shrink or grow.
I can change the width and the font size does not change.

If I start ACL in full screen mode I cannot change the size at all, the cursor just hits the edge of the screen and I do not get the adjustment arrows.

HP All in one computer. Screen is 24" wide 13" tall running Win 10.

Dave KC3AM

On 03/08/2021 17:13, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi All,

I am still working on the manual resizing code and need another round of testing.  Please go ahead and close AC Log.  Then try this 6.8.5.2 Beta (no need to uninstall your previous version).

The main difference from 6.8.5.1 is that I was using the whole area (height X width) change to calculate the font size change, but that was leading to some unintended results.  It also created some rounding issues on multiple resizes.  Version 6.8.5.2 ONLY resizes the fonts on height changes.  Dragging the edges wider or narrower will have no affect on the font size.  If you want the fonts to shrink, make the form shorter or drag it higher to make them larger.

Please keep in mind that the scaling is not specific to individual controls and the sizing feature will definitely not satisfy everyone.  If you contort the form, have expectations of large fonts regardless of size, are running a resolution less than 1920 X 1080, etc., you will probably want to keep the existing behavior by simply not manually resizing the form, or entering a form size other than 100%.  The folks that will find the new sizing features most useful are those running larger monitors at resolutions higher than 1920 X 1080.  In short, this will be a new tool for those that need it, while the software can easily be configured to continue to behave as always for those that don't.

For example, if I manually size the LoTW form, which is designed for a 16 X 9 display ratio in a contorted way, the fonts will overlap.

But as long as you keep the form to roughly the intended design ratio, the form can be scaled down considerably and still look pretty good:

So, here are the things to test (please try these on both the main form and the LoTW form):

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%).  Please keep the form close the the intended design ratio (16 X 9) for best results.

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly (AC Log only has the maximize button).

-  Double clicking on the title bar will also resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.  This code had to be implemented differently than the maximize button, so it needs to be tested separately.

Please go ahead and install AC Log 6.8.5.2 Beta.  There is no need to uninstall the previous version:

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

--
73, Dave KC3AM Hams should be seen as well as heard

K7GA

Installed 6.8.5.2 and like the larger font in the smaller window!  73/Geoff K7GA (that’s two screens)

Graphical user interface, application

Description automatically generated

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 3:13 PM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] AC Log 6.8.5.2 - Please Test Manual Resizing!

Hi All,

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

73, Scott

N3FJP

Tom Ellis

Scott,

I like this version.

Display is a Dell 19” with a 1440 X 900 Resolution.

Tom

K5TEE

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 3:13 PM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] AC Log 6.8.5.2 - Please Test Manual Resizing!

Hi All,

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Please go ahead and install AC Log 6.8.52 Beta.  There is no need to uninstall the previous version:

73, Scott

N3FJP

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..

Don - kx9q

I am using the following resolution on my 4k monitors: 2560 x 1440.  Resizing appears to be working quite well.  I might have to go to a lower resolution in the future.  The eyes don't see as well as they used to.

Don - kx9q

Don - kx9q

I should add that I tried the Rig Interface screen and that does not resize at all, however, the LoTW screen resizes properly.  

Scott Davis

Thanks Don,

The only two screens I've added the new code to is main form and the LoTW form.  It is quit a bit of work, so I will not be adding it to all the forms.

Thanks for all the great reports so far!

73, Scott
N3FJP

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Mar 8, 2021 10:47 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] AC Log 6.8.5.2 - Please Test Manual Resizing!

I should add that I tried the Rig Interface screen and that does not resize at all, however, the LoTW screen resizes properly.