Armed Forces QSL

Christopher Scibelli

This is slightly off-topic but I know several of you participated in Armed Forces Day crossband.  I worked six or seven stations and I am currently filling out the form so I can receive all those QSLs by providing my information online.

I'm running into one problem. The next to last question is as follows:

Enter the text of AFD Test Message to confirm receipt:
cut and paste the actual message text received below.  Do not include any other remarks in this field.
Your answer

I do not see anything below regarding the test message.  Below that question is just a question asking if I have any comments, thoughts, or ideas, and then the page ends.

Where can I find the test message they are asking me to cut and paste?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris  NU1O

Mike - W4HRL

Hello Chris - 

I did not participate in this year's contest, but as I understand it, the message is the AFD message that was broadcast as part of the contest. They are asking you to fill in what YOU received so it can be checked for accuracy. Like an exchange at Field Day or other contest.

W4HRL
Mike in Poquoson VA

Christopher Scibelli

By chance I tuned into the CW broadcast, but it was already underway. I copied what I heard in my head, but I have no recollection of that transmission other than a bunch of platitudes. 

A little while ago, I noticed that question did not have a red star which means it was NOT required.  So I sent in what I had filled out and I'll hope for the best.  When I got back into the hobby back in 2010, I was on for AFD and I have a few QSLs for the event. I know I did not listen to the Sec of DoDs broadcast. I just worked a few stations.

Thanks for the clarification. It was appreciated.

Chris  NU1O

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, May 17, 2022 12:17 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Armed Forces QSL

Hello Chris - 

I did not participate in this year's contest, but as I understand it, the message is the AFD message that was broadcast as part of the contest. They are asking you to fill in what YOU received so it can be checked for accuracy. Like an exchange at Field Day or other contest.

W4HRL
Mike in Poquoson VA

Wes Stewart

Despite sending a reminder message to my club about this activity, I forgot to participate this year.  But in the past I have, and I've received QSL cards without copying any message.

The only problem has been that when I upload my log to Clublog, it protests the calls.

Wes  N7WS

Christopher Scibelli

I know I never sent any part of the message when I returned to the hobby after a 15-year break and I received QSLs that year.  Also, as I wrote in my previous message, the box that had the question about the Sec. of Defense's message didn't appear to be a required answer.  I sent the QSL request without a message and it went off on its merry way.  If I get some QSLs back I'll write a message to the group in case this question ever comes up again.

I had heard or read that a station in Alaska was used but I don't see one in the station list.  If anybody knows what station was used I'd appreciate it for next year.  With increasing solar activity I hope to work Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, and maybe even Camp Foster Okinawa next year.  I'll also be prepared for the Sec. of Defense's  message. 

Chris  NU1O

Sent: Wed, May 18, 2022 9:12 am

Despite sending a reminder message to my club about this activity, I forgot to participate this year.  But in the past I have, and I've received QSL cards without copying any message.

The only problem has been that when I upload my log to Clublog, it protests the calls.

Wes  N7WS

Christopher Scibelli

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 09:12 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:

That will happen with any logging system setup for amateur radio.  The MARS calls use a different format.

I have some old ARRL logbooks that I used before the advent of computer logs.  I still have a few blank books.  I simply use one of those books for anything out of the ordinary.  I used it for this year's AFD QSOs.  I use it for Shortwave stations I find interesting, etc., etc.

I'm glad I bought a bunch of those books when I placed my last order, but I'm always a bit surprised by the number of hams who still write down their QSOs.  I'd have thought most everybody would be using logging programs by now, but that's not the case.

Chris  NU1O

Russ Johnson

I actually double log.   After it goes into N3FJP, it gets entered into ARRL Mini Log. I modify columns some and use the adjacent reverse side for comments.

Stuff happens.  

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 1:09 PM Christopher Scibelli via groups.io <nu1oscar=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

That will happen with any logging system setup for amateur radio.  The MARS calls use a different format.

I have some old ARRL logbooks that I used before the advent of computer logs.  I still have a few blank books.  I simply use one of those books for anything out of the ordinary.  I used it for this year's AFD QSOs.  I use it for Shortwave stations I find interesting, etc., etc.

I'm glad I bought a bunch of those books when I placed my last order, but I'm always a bit surprised by the number of hams who still write down their QSOs.  I'd have thought most everybody would be using logging programs by now, but that's not the case.

Chris  NU1O

--

“Focus on the signal… not the noise”

Pat Whelton

Hey Russ.  I’m like you a belt and suspenders guy.  I log to ACLog and to paper logs.  The only thing I do not log to the paper log is contests.  I just place a note in the paper log to look in ACLog for the contest contacts and import the logs.  Old school I guess.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Russ Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 1:02 PM

I actually double log.   After it goes into N3FJP, it gets entered into ARRL Mini Log. I modify columns some and use the adjacent reverse side for comments.

Stuff happens.  

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 1:09 PM Christopher Scibelli via groups.io <nu1oscar=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Chris  NU1O

--

_._,_._,_

Russ Johnson

Oh yeah definitely 

Too much work for that!

I keep a printed copy of contest logs as a back up 

On May 19, 2022, at 11:19 AM, Pat Whelton <pwhelton@...> wrote:

Hey Russ.  I’m like you a belt and suspenders guy.  I log to ACLog and to paper logs.  The only thing I do not log to the paper log is contests.  I just place a note in the paper log to look in ACLog for the contest contacts and import the logs.  Old school I guess.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Russ Johnson

Stuff happens.  

Chris  NU1O

--

JoAnn Donaldson

I not only log in ACLog but also LOTW, eqSL, and QRZ.COM. If for some reason, the HD crashes, I can get a copy off one of these sites to repopulate the New ACLog.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Thursday, May 19, 2022, 10:24:01 AM CDT, Russ Johnson <radiok3pi@...> wrote:

Oh yeah definitely 

Too much work for that!

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

Stuff happens.  

Chris  NU1O

--

Bob Stothfang

Here's my  belt and suspenders log path...

I log each contact to ACLog (N3FJP). Then...
I upload to LoTW at the end of the session. Then...
At the end of the day I download any confirmed or accepted LoTW files back into ACLog to update the ACLog entries. Then.....
I import the LoTW updates into my QRZ log directly from LoTW with a couple of easy key strokes. Then...
Each night when I close my ACLog it automatically saves the ACLog mdb file to my DropBox account.
Occasionally I will upload my log to eQSL for any folks that prefer that logging technique.

The mdb file in my DropBox account is my primary backup file stored offsite. If a disaster happens (i.e. Fire, theft, tornado or computer failure etc.) I can easily get my ACLog file back in the original file format that ACLog understands.

Bob - W8RES

On 2022-05-19 15:26, JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io wrote:
I not only log in ACLog but also LOTW, eqSL, and QRZ.COM. If for some reason, the HD crashes, I can get a copy off one of these sites to repopulate the New ACLog.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Thursday, May 19, 2022, 10:24:01 AM CDT, Russ Johnson <radiok3pi@...> wrote:

Oh yeah definitely 

Too much work for that!

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

Stuff happens.  

Chris  NU1O

--

Christopher Scibelli

Sent: Thu, May 19, 2022 6:11 pm

Here's my  belt and suspenders log path...

I log each contact to ACLog (N3FJP). Then...
I upload to LoTW at the end of the session. Then...
At the end of the day I download any confirmed or accepted LoTW files back into ACLog to update the ACLog entries. Then.....
I import the LoTW updates into my QRZ log directly from LoTW with a couple of easy key strokes. Then...
Each night when I close my ACLog it automatically saves the ACLog mdb file to my DropBox account.
Occasionally I will upload my log to eQSL for any folks that prefer that logging technique.

The mdb file in my DropBox account is my primary backup file stored offsite. If a disaster happens (i.e. Fire, theft, tornado or computer failure etc.) I can easily get my ACLog file back in the original file format that ACLog understands.

Bob - W8RES

I had to doublecheck to make sure I had written your message.  I basically do the same thing except I upload to eQSL after each session and I occasionally upload to QRZ for those who use that.  I also upload to Clublog after each session so I can see what I have worked, confirmed, and Verified.