Frustrated as all get out!!!!!!!!!


Chris Christenberry
 

I've had the Amateur Logging program for a couple of weeks now.  Rockin' right along.  Everything seemed to be working like clockwork.  Frequency was following both my Kenwood TS-590SG and the SDR Uno program.  Then seemly for no reason the logging program stopped following my rig.  To my knowledge, I did nothing to initiate the change.  I've had all sorts of problems because I keep getting a message saying Com Port 3 isn't available.  When I went to check, Com Port 3 was missing.  Messed around with all sorts of things and then, as if by magic, Com Port 3 showed up in my list again.  Was able to get the Logging program to hook up to the radio.........until I turned it off.  Been searching and reading all over this forum and trying things I've read.  Then my Uno stopped following the rig.  Turned off the logging program and turned it back on and there's no following of the frequency.  So no neither Uno or Amateur Logging will follow my rig.  I've been yanking on my hair so hard I've little left.  I'm fairly tech illiterate, so for me to get this far with it is a great accomplishment..............but I'm still not there..........not getting the N3FJP software to follow my rig without failing later.

If anyone has the patience to walk me through this labyrinth, I'd sure appreciate it.

73s Chris KX5ALC


Mike - W4HRL
 

Greetings Chris -

I think you have identified your problem - now we just need to figure out a solution. It sounds like it is a COM port problem. For some reason, COM port 3 that the radio needs is being used by something else before the radio gets turned on.

Although I may not be able to walk you trough the solution, I am sure others will be along who can. But first we will all need some additional info.

What computer system  - PC or Mac?  If PC, what version of Windows?

W4HRL
Mike in Poquoson VA


Chris Christenberry
 

Thanks for getting back with me, Mike. 

Okay............. the particulars:

PC, custom built.  Windows 10.  Kenwood TS-590SG. 

I know this isn't the SDR  Uno forum, but I did get the Uno program to start tracking, so that problem is no longer a consideration.


Dave
 

Chris  KX5ALC,

I am also using ACL & a 590SG in a very simple fashion with no other hardware or software.

I am using the Kenwood2 choice in the rig setup tab.

Nothing else can use the Com 3 port

All I do is turn on the 590 first then start ACL and all should is good for me.

ACL reads & populates Band, Frequency and Mode.

Dave KC3AM


Chris Christenberry
 

Thanks for that, Dave.  I turn on my radio first before either the ACL or SDR Uno programs.  Here's what I see when ACL opens up:


Dennis Wage
 

Reboot, and try that one more time. Something else is using Port 3 or Port 3 is not the correct port for the Kenwood, either by your error or somehow the port has changed. 

Open device manager and plug and unplug the USB cable and confirm that port 3 appears and disappears.


On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 3:39 PM Chris Christenberry via groups.io <chrischristenberry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for that, Dave.  I turn on my radio first before either the ACL or SDR Uno programs.  Here's what I see when ACL opens up:


Chris Christenberry
 

Thanks, Dennis.

Turned radio off and then back on.  Rebooted computer.  Same message when I pulled up ACL.  Opened device manager and unplugged USB cable and Com Port 3 disappeared and reappeared when I plugged it back in.

73s Chris KX5ALC


Dennis Wage
 

Something else has to be using Com Port 3. I know zero about Uno, but could it be starting up either the program or a background app program when you boot the computer.

Another thing you might try is to go to device manager and while port 3 is visible. right click it and Uninstall and then reboot.

If that doesn't work, in device manager uninstall port 3 again but this time tick the box that says remove driver. Then download a fresh driver for  your kenwood cable and reinstall it.

Hope this helps.
DW

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 4:01 PM Chris Christenberry via groups.io <chrischristenberry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks, Dennis.

Turned radio off and then back on.  Rebooted computer.  Same message when I pulled up ACL.  Opened device manager and unplugged USB cable and Com Port 3 disappeared and reappeared when I plugged it back in.

73s Chris KX5ALC


Lou WA5LOU
 

Looks like something else is using com 3 before ACL.   Comm ports cannot be shared.

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 4:39 PM Chris Christenberry via groups.io <chrischristenberry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for that, Dave.  I turn on my radio first before either the ACL or SDR Uno programs.  Here's what I see when ACL opens up:


JeffBanke
 

PC, custom built.  Windows 10.  
                            This is your problem
Windows 10 has the habit of reselecting com ports, get rid of everything else that might want a com port and the problem goes away.


Chris Christenberry
 

SDR Uno and my radio are on COM Port 3.    I'm so cotton-picken' confused at this point I could bite myself.

73s Chris KX5ALC


Lou WA5LOU
 

Can you put your UNO on a different port?

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 6:14 PM Chris Christenberry via groups.io <chrischristenberry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

SDR Uno and my radio are on COM Port 3.    I'm so cotton-picken' confused at this point I could bite myself.

73s Chris KX5ALC


Chris Christenberry
 

I have no idea, Lou.  I had to get someone to walk me through installing it over the phone to start with.  I don't "get" all of this tech stuff.  I probably shouldn't be allowed to even touch a computer!  Hi Hi !!!  I've uninstalled it and ACL twice now but I guess that doesn't have anything to do with the Com Ports, does it???
--
73s Chris KX5ALC


George Davenport
 

Try reloading your virtual com port manager...I get a similiar error when my Win 8 updates...when I reinstall VCP Mgr it solves the problem.
--
George-- KM4ODS


Lou WA5LOU
 

Remove UNO and just load ACL and see what happens.  Again, your rig and UNO are trying to use the same port.  This will not work.  So uninstall UNO and just try ACL.  Let us know what happens.

Lou WA5LOU

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 6:21 PM Chris Christenberry via groups.io <chrischristenberry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have no idea, Lou.  I had to get someone to walk me through installing it over the phone to start with.  I don't "get" all of this tech stuff.  I probably shouldn't be allowed to even touch a computer!  Hi Hi !!!  I've uninstalled it and ACL twice now but I guess that doesn't have anything to do with the Com Ports, does it???
--
73s Chris KX5ALC


Chris Christenberry
 

I don't even know if I have a virtual com port, George!

I didn't even have to remove Uno..............just turned it off and everything works fine on AC !!!  Well now, THAT's a revelation!!!!!.  The frequency follows the rig.  So I guess  you are probably correct.  Completely uninstall Uno and reinstall it on another Com Port.  Guess that would solve the problem. 
--
73s Chris KX5ALC


Chris Christenberry
 

I turned off the SDR Uno program and everything between the rig and ACL worked flawlessly.  BINGO!!!  So the Uno was the problem.  I just completed a deep uninstall of the entire Suite and will see if I can figure out how to properly install it using a different Com Port.  Busy teaching tomorrow, but will try and get to it on Sunday.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  You guys have really been patient to put up with a non-techie such as myself.
--
73s Chris KX5ALC


Dennis Wage
 

If Uno talks to the radio on the kenwood com port 3, then you can't use Uno and ACL at the same time.
Unless you install virtual com ports or use an API between Uno and ACL like you do with WSJT-X

When I operate FT8. WSJT-X needs to talk to the radio on com port 3 so I have to start it first, then ACLOG, But then ACLOG get's all the information it needs to log from WSJT-X's API connection and the internet. 



On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 7:31 PM Chris Christenberry via groups.io <chrischristenberry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I turned off the SDR Uno program and everything between the rig and ACL worked flawlessly.  BINGO!!!  So the Uno was the problem.  I just completed a deep uninstall of the entire Suite and will see if I can figure out how to properly install it using a different Com Port.  Busy teaching tomorrow, but will try and get to it on Sunday.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  You guys have really been patient to put up with a non-techie such as myself.
--
73s Chris KX5ALC


Dave
 

Chris,

If the SDR Uno is also running and is on com 3 then ACL cannot access com 3 since it is already in use.

Shut down / disable SDR Uno and that should free up com 3.

This is why I do not complicate things by running multiple programs.

Dave KC3AM

On 1/28/2022 6:14 PM, Chris Christenberry via groups.io wrote:

SDR Uno and my radio are on COM Port 3.    I'm so cotton-picken' confused at this point I could bite myself.

73s Chris KX5ALC


Chris Christenberry
 

I finally figured that out, Dave.  I did a deep uninstall on Uno and everything works fine.  Now I need to reinstall Uno with a virtual Com Port.  Going to take me a while to figure out exactly how to do that and then reinstall Uno, but I'll get there.

73s Chris KX5ALC




On Friday, 28 January 2022, 11:11:12 pm GMT-6, Dave via groups.io <kc3am@...> wrote:


Chris,

If the SDR Uno is also running and is on com 3 then ACL cannot access com 3 since it is already in use.

Shut down / disable SDR Uno and that should free up com 3.

This is why I do not complicate things by running multiple programs.

Dave KC3AM

On 1/28/2022 6:14 PM, Chris Christenberry via groups.io wrote:
SDR Uno and my radio are on COM Port 3.    I'm so cotton-picken' confused at this point I could bite myself.

73s Chris KX5ALC

--
73s Chris KX5ALC