Can't upload 10 meter log to server. Error

Christopher Scibelli

I've been in the ARRL 10 meter contest for decades using AC Log.  I've never had this problem submitting my log. Last night I finished the contest and completed a Cabrillo file.  Today I uploaded it to the website given on WA7BNM's contest website.  After uploading I got an error that EVERY single QSO I uploaded was an error.

I think this has to do with the way Massachusetts is broken up on the ARRL's contest upload page.  I am in Western Mass. but during the contest, we don't differentiate between Western and Eastern Mass.  We just give our report as 59 or 599 MA.  Not 59 Western MA or Eastern MA.  At least that's how every station I worked in Massachusetts replied to me when I worked stations in my home state. However, when I upload my Cabrillo file to the ARRL's 10-meter page it is asking me whether I am in Eastern or Western Mass. I enter Western Mass. because that is where I'm located, and I think that's what's causing the error but I have no choice but to enter Western Mass.

However, upon submittal, I am receiving an error for every single QSO.  Here is a copy of my basic info and the first few QSOs that came back from the ARRL's 10-meter upload page.

Contest: ARRL-10 [contest rules]
Call Sign: NU1O
Category: Single Operator Unlimited, Mixed Mode, High Power
Operator: SINGLE-OP Created from Number of operators question (Answer: Only one)
Assisted: ASSISTED Created from Spotting assistance question (Answer: Yes)
Mode: MIXED
Power: HIGH Created from Highest power question (Answer: More than 150W)
Band: 10M
Transmitter: ONE
Station: FIXED
Location: WMA
Station Grid: FN32rb
E-mail: nu1oscar@...
QSOs in Log: 161

ERROR-->Following QSO errors were found:

  • Sent qth (001) for 161 of 161 QSOs doesn't match qth associated with location (WMA) selected on this web form.
  • QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0044 NU1O 59 001 KC1XX 59 NH
    sent exchange qth (001) not valid
  • QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0046 NU1O 59 002 W1TJL 59 CT
    sent exchange qth (002) not valid
  • QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0047 NU1O 59 003 W1TRK 59 MA
    sent exchange qth (003) not valid
  • QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0048 NU1O 59 004 N1LZF 59 MA
    sent exchange qth (004) not valid

What the hell am I doing wrong?  I am sitting here with a broken ankle,  I am in a lot of pain and my patience is at an all-time low.  I usually can solve most problems on my own but in the condition,  I am currently in, I'm just not my normal self.  Can anybody offer help?

Thanks,

Chris  NU1O

Larry Banks

Hi Chris,

It looks like you sent a serial number, not MA as your exchange.

Larry / W1DYJ

On 12/13/2021 13:14, Christopher Scibelli via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Mike Olbrisch

In each case below, it seems that QTH is causing the error.  The only thing I see is in each of the 4 QSO files you have below, their QTH is a 2-letter abbreviation on all.  I am not familiar with the divisions of every state, but Texas for example would be NTX for North Texas, STX for South Texas, and WTX for West Texas, much as you say EMA or WMA.

Not sure this is any help.  I’d like to say I feel your pain, but I don’t.  I have had broken bones in a previous life, so I get it.  Eventually the pain of the break subsides.  But then the itching inside the cast takes over.  And that is nearly as maddening!  I hope you find some relief.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC – WRFF851 –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61.

An EXIT is really an ENTRANCE to someplace new.

It isn’t an ADVENTURE until something goes wrong!

[...]

No, I am positive I didn't send serial numbers.  I sent my state each and every time. I did receive serial numbers from DX stations but they are supposed to send a serial number.  I may have a broken ankle but I haven't lost my marbles. At least yet: :-)

I'm looking at the rules.  The 10-meter rules list all the ARRL sections. Why list them if contestants give their states?

73,

Chris  NU1O

Christopher Scibelli

Hi Mike,

So, you are saying we were supposed to send our ARRL sections and not our states?  I must have worked 25 to 50 stations in my home state of Mass.  Not one of thise stations sent me Eastern or Western Mass.  They all sent MA.  I worked five stations in California.  Not one sent me their ARRL section.  They all sent 59 or 599 CA.

73,

Chris NU1O

Christopher Scibelli

So, I can look forward to perpetual itching.  Thanks a million, Mike.  You just made my day!  :-)

73,

Chris  NU1O

[...]

Were you in the contest, Larry?  It looks like you are in Eastern Mass.  Did you send Eastern Mass, or just Mass?

[...]

Mark

The problem is that the section/state submission is not consistent between contests and what the log robot will accept.  For some, simply having your state in the Cabrillo file will work, for others it must have the specific ARRL section.  The 10M contest requires your ARRL section in the Cabrillo output even though you didn't send it as part of any QSO exchange info.  If you're using the ARRL submission site, the pull down menu has the ARRL sections on it as opposed to just the states.  I've had my log rejected enough times from previous contests that I just edit the Cabrillo output before I send it to show the ARRL section and not the state.

73
Mark KN7T

Hi Mike,

So, you are saying we were supposed to send our ARRL sections and not our states?  I must have worked 25 to 50 stations in my home state of Mass.  Not one of thise stations sent me Eastern or Western Mass.  They all sent MA.  I worked five stations in California.  Not one sent me their ARRL section.  They all sent 59 or 599 CA.

73,

Chris NU1O

Kevin Gray

Chris,

Your Cabrillo file is not correct. It is showing a serial number (001, 002, 003) for the sent exchange, where it should say MA

Check your Cabrillo file with a text editor. It should look like the picture above.

In your original post, you said you used AC log, I assume you didn’t and you actually used the 10M contest.

In the Setup (CTRL-S) you do have MA, Correct ?

And when you write the Cabrillo file,

make sure you picked the correct contest

73 Kevin

N9VPV

[...]

I sent MA, the Exchange is your STATE.

Here are the first four lines from my Cabrillo:

QSO: 28021 CW 2021-12-11 0038 W1DYJ         599     MA K1KI            599     CT
QSO: 28423 PH 2021-12-11 0041 W1DYJ            59      MA KC1XX         59      NH

QSO: 28014 CW 2021-12-11 0045 W1DYJ         599     MA W1WEF       599     CT
QSO: 28036 CW 2021-12-11 0050 W1DYJ         599     MA WA1T          599     ME

Here are the lines you sent from yours:

QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0044 NU1O 59 001 KC1XX 59 NH
QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0046 NU1O 59 002 W1TJL 59 CT
QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0047 NU1O 59 003 W1TRK 59 MA
QSO: 28000 PH 2021-12-11 0048 NU1O 59 004 N1LZF 59 MA

Note the "00n" -- you were sending serial numbers somehow.

From the rules:

Exchange: All stations send a signal report. W/VE stations, including Alaska and Hawaii) send their state or province. (District of Columbia stations send “DC”.) Mexican stations send their state or province. DX stations send a serial number. Maritime mobile stations send ITU Region (1-3).

I'm not sure what you can do, as all those you had a Q with you will probably have the serial number in their log.

Larry / W1DYJ

PS -- I've done this contest for 28 years, and I have never had a problem sending in my log.

On 12/13/2021 13:55, Christopher Scibelli via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Yeah Chris, sorry.  If you can find a metal coat-hanger, cut it apart, loop one end in about a 6-inch hot-dog shape to form a handle.  Bend a tight loop on the other end, and put some heat shrink of wrap it with electrical tape, and you use it to poke down inside the cast to scratch the itch.  It is important that no sharp end is exposed, you do not want to bleed inside the cast.

To keep it ham radio related, if you can’t find a metal coat hanger, perhaps you have the whip section of an old antenna?

I do not recommend dipping the tip of the hanger into any type of anti-itch cream to poke down there, it gets the inside of the cast really messy after a couple of weeks.

Look at the bright side.  Time to look at what contests are coming up, brush up on your CW, start chasing SOTA summits and POTA parks.  And in the evenings, tune in to 5.085 MHz, a good SW station playing lots of oldies.  That is one of the SW stations I turn to (along with Radio Habana Cuba, I like Latin Jazz) when we are out camping.

Sorry for your situation.  Whatever you did to make this happen, don’t do that again!

Mike.

[...]

Mark,

That was a very helpful reply.  At least I now know the rules weren't changed and all those I worked who are in an ARRL section were not wrong when they just gave me their state in the exchange.

I just read the rules and the only way to submit an electronic log is via the ARRL's robot.  I am entering my ARRL section (WMA) on the robot's webpage but it's not working.  Actually, I had no choice.  There was no choice for just entering MA and the only other choice for MA was Eastern Mass. and I don't live there.

I guess I'll have to call ARRL which is something I try to avoid.

Thanks again,

Chris  NU1O

[...]

OK, Kevin.  Yes, I did use the 10 meter contest program created by N3FJP.  I do not recall filling in the setup page as you did.

Is there a way I can redo that and then upload my QSOs to the program again so I need not enter each and every QSO?

[...]

I've been in this contest for over 30 years without a problem.  Have you ever operated in a contest while in much pain with a broken bone?  You tend to make mistakes you don't make when you are well.

Chris

[...]

Western Mass is shown under US Call Area 1 in the SELECT ARRL/RAC Section...  drop-down.

Are you at the correct URL: https://contest-log-submission.arrl.org/

Larry / W1DYJ

On 12/13/2021 14:25, Christopher Scibelli via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Did you use the US or DX version of the program.  The DX version uses serial numbers.

Larry / W1DYJ

On 12/13/2021 14:30, Christopher Scibelli via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Yes !!

Just open the 10Meter contest program, all the contact are still there right ??

The only part you really need to do is this part :

Then, Fill out the form that appears :

After clicking the Write Cabrillo Summary file, remember where it is writing this file, that is the one you upload to the web page. (it should be N1UO.log)

On the web page it is OK to pick WMA, the robot will filter that to just MA for scoring.

73 Kevin

N9VPV

[...]

My best guess is I didn't enter MA in the setup page.  However, I'm forgetting a lot and not sleeping so I have no idea what happened with 100% reliability.  Right now I'm thinking about selling all the equipment and finding some other hobby.  This is very frustrating.

Chris

[...]

Agree, and I'm sorry to hear of your pain,
Larry - W1DYJ

On 12/13/2021 14:34, Christopher Scibelli via groups.io wrote:
[...]

You must be my Guardian Angel.  Let me try that.  Thanks a zillion!  Yes, all the contacts are still there.

Chris