Field Day 6.6, VHF 6.6, WW Digi 1.2, AC Log 7.0.1 and More Now Available!

Scott Davis

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your great enthusiasm and kind words on last week's release of Amateur Contact Log 7.0!  Kimberly, Chris and I really appreciate it!

For those of you who missed last week's announcement detailing our direct WSJT-X integration, support for the 13 Colonies event and more, with lots of details and setup information, you will find that here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/news/news2021-05-13.html

wsjt1.PNG

We knew that you would really enjoy having the WSJT-X direct connect integration into Field Day, VHF and other contest logs that use the FT modes too, so we have been working hard on that as well.  As a result...

The following contest program upgrades are now available!

ARRL RTTY Roundup 3.9 (which also supports FT Roundup)
CQ WPX 4.9 (not WSJT-X applicable, but you can enjoy the rest of the enhancements in next week's CQ WPX CW contest)
Field Day Log 6.6
VHF Log 6.6
World Wide Digi DX 1.2

You will find all the details on directly connecting these programs with WSJT-X here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html#wsjtx

In addition to the WSJT direct connect feature, which will also display duplicates in red, right on the WSJT-X Band Activity list, etc., these programs also include many of the features you've already been enjoying in the recent releases of Amateur Contact Log including:

- Font scaling based on manual form height changes of main form.
- Frequency Privileges form enhanced to show current frequency and DX spots.
Winkeyer settings now saved along with your other CW settings when you click the Save Settings button.
- Winkeyer: Use _ to merge characters and | to add a small amount of space between characters.
- RI: commands in F1 now can be programmed with loop delay.
You can now toggle most rigs from transmit to receive with Ctrl + Shift + A.

Lord willing, we plan to release upgrades for the rest of the contest programs with these new features within the next few months.

As always, upgrades are free to registered users. If you are currently running the last released version, it should detect the new upgrade and offer to retrieve it on start, but if you have any problem, or you are running an older version, you can install the latest from the specific program's download link on n3fjp.com (you should not have to uninstall your previous version).

Amateur Contact Log 7.0.1 Now Available!

Immediately after releasing Amateur Contact Log 7.0 last week, along with the great feedback, we received lots of requests for two features related to the WSJT-X decode coloring including:

- A color for AC Log Watch List decodes (displayed with a black background and different foreground, depending on duplicate status).

- The ability to control what defines a needed entity (new, new on band, new on mode or new on band and mode) based on your selection in Settings > New Contact & QSL Alert Options.

Not only have we accommodated both of those requests in AC Log 7.0.1, you can also optionally set an audio alert that will let you know when a call sign in your Watch List is decoded.  That way, rather than staring at the screen, waiting for that rare, juicy DXPexpedition callsign to appear, AC Log will let you know the moment WSJT-X decodes it!  After you click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the Listen for WSJT check box, just click the Configure button to enable audio alerts and customize the colors that will appear in WSJT-X.

We also corrected the circumstance in which grids were sometimes appearing with the purple color, indicating they were needed, when they had already been confirmed.

Also, immediately after releasing AC Log 7.0, the 13 Colonies folks contacted us to let us know that there will be an additional bonus station from France this year.  If TM13COL (TM1 on the display) is not appearing in your 13 Colonies display (View > 13 Colonies), just click File > Download Country Files from AD1C and that form will update as well.

As always, AC Log upgrades are free to registered users. If you are currently running AC Log 6.8 or later, it should detect the new upgrade and offer to retrieve it on start, but if you have any problem with the automatic upgrade, or you are running a version prior to 6.8, you can install AC Log 7.0.1 from here (you should not have to uninstall your previous version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/aclog.html

A Couple Notes on Field Day!

- Field Day Log 6.6 is the last planned release before Field Day, so please go ahead and install it now.  Please do not wait until the week of Field Day to get set up!!!

- If you are operating in the Delta class, be sure that Settings > Enable Delta Station Scoring Waiver is checked, so that you can log and score other Delta stations properly per ARRL rules.

- If you can't find your Field Day password, please e-mail us direct now and we will be happy to look it up for you, but please do not wait until the week of Field Day!

If your club is planning to operate from your individual homes this year, please review these tips for enjoying the event together virtually, using our free Club Score Processor and other on line tools:

http://www.n3fjp.com/clubscore.html

If your club is gathering together, you plan to use a network for Field Day and haven't already done so, it's time to get all the PCs you'll be using together and make sure your network is all set. Complete details on networking my Field Day software using both File Share and TCP methods are here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/networkinghelp.html

Please take a little time well before the contest, get your PCs together and your network up and running. As always, problems easily solved in a relaxed atmosphere can seem insurmountable when the clock is ticking!

Whether you are a contester or not, please get on the air and make some Field Day contacts!

As we approach Field Day weekend, groups from all over the continent will be making final preparations, getting equipment, generators, food, rigs and computers together, antennas airborne, coordinating operating schedules and all the little things that make Field Day go. In many cases they will be on the air for many hours, striving to both show off the amazing hobby of Amateur Radio and turn in a competitive score. It is a huge amount of fun and a heck of a lot of work! Please help reward their great efforts by providing plenty of QSOs for their logs!

Even if you aren't a contester, and you only have an hour to spare from home, please fire up your rig and give as many stations as you can a contact. Every group you call will really appreciate your QSO, and it will make their Field Day that much more enjoyable! In addition, you might be able to pick up a few more states towards your Worked All States Award. If you are ambitious, it is very possible that you can achieve the goal of working every state on Field Day weekend alone!

For folks new to Field Day, if you are on a single transmitter home station with commercial power, your exchange is simple. You'll simply send your Call, your Class as 1D and your ARRL section. Just be aware you can't call other 1D stations for contest points, but all the other station categories will love for you to give them a call!

Here us a quick start video on using our Field Day software that you can share with your local group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJEIXuoKWqc

Encouraging visitors can change a life (and even affect yours)!

When I was 14 years old, a family friend took my Dad and me to a local Field Day on a Saturday evening. That was my first exposure to Amateur Radio. I didn't understand the significance at the time, but the guys had an amazing run going as we arrived at their site. Still, they took the time to explain what was going on, the exchange, and they were completely willing to abandon their run to encourage this shy, 14 year old to take over the mic. I got started, the run resumed and so much was happening, I forgot all about being nervous. Before I knew it I was having a blast! Anyone who has ever been at the bottom of a pile up, running a frequency, knows the thrill. They kindly said I was a natural, and I was hooked!

Had it not been for the positive, encouraging spirit of that great group, willing to forego an awesome run for the sake of possibly encouraging a kid, I'd very likely never have become an Amateur Radio operator. I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing today, and there would never have been N3FJP Software for you to use. Those couple hours changed my life and hopefully, through my software, has brought some added enjoyment to yours, too!

If you see a visitor with a hint of intrigue in their eye, please offer them that same gracious encouragement that was given to me. It's very possible that you will be helping to shape a destiny, and we will all be better for it!

Have Fun!

Kimberly, Chris and I are planning to run 1E (home station emergency power) from here at the house this time. We hope to work you!

Above all, be safe, have fun and enjoy the Field Day experience!

And in response to the questions we always receive when we neglect to include the following in our e-mail announcements...

Package Upgrade Information...

If you have registered one or more individual programs and would like to upgrade to N3FJP's Software Package for full use of all our Amateur Radio software, we would be glad to apply the amount that you have registered so far as a credit towards that purchase. Please send us an e-mail directly and we'll let you know your balance.

N3FJP's Software Package includes more than one hundred programs for contesting, net management and general logging Amateur Radio applications. In addition to full use of all these programs, registered package customers are also entitled to receive free passwords for any new software that we add to the package and free upgrades to existing programs. There are no annual / maintenance costs of any kind.  Simply register once and you are set with N3FJP Software for life!  You'll find all the details on the Register Now page here:

Donations are Gratefully Accepted!

And in response to the often asked question, for which Kimberly, Chris and I are very grateful...

"I know your upgrades are free, but I also realize how much time and effort coding these enhancements and new programs take and that your pricing policy doesn't fully reflect that. Can I send you something to show my appreciation for your continued efforts?"

Yes, thanks so much, your continued support in any amount is very welcome and deeply appreciated! You can use this page:

or send your contribution by mail, payable to Affirmatech Inc., to:

G. Scott Davis
118 Glenwood Road
Bel Air, MD 21014-5533

Thank you so much for your continued support!

Thanks!

As always, thanks for your kind words, support, linking to our web site and spreading the word about our software. Kimberly, Chris and I really appreciate it!

73, Scott, Kimberly and Chris

N3FJP, KA3SEQ and KB3KCN

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

p.s. If you want to unsubscribe or need to change your e-mail address for future announcements....

If you wish to be removed from this e-mail list, or you would like to change your e-mail, please see this FAQ here for all the steps:

n0dpr@comcast.net

Just downloaded v. 7 and moved all my contacts without issue. Good job. I do have a question. On my old version every other line on the log was an alternating shade. I really liked that and so far I have not been able to find the setting?
Thanks,
Brad
NØDPR

73
Brad
NØDPR

On May 19, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Gray

Settings>Appearance>Colors and Fonts

Then select the check box for Alternate Backcolor with

73 Kevin

N9VPV

[...]

Paul Van Dyke

Scott
Understanding all of you will accept donations..
Which do you prefer, pork and beans or Vienna sausages?

smile
Paul KB9AVO

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM Kevin Gray <n9vpv@...> wrote:

[...]

N8OFP.DL@...

Thank you for adding the Watchlist to the WSJT-X colors, that will be a big help with the upcoming 13 Colonies Special Event.

Scott Davis

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your e-mail and kind words. To show grids, select from the menu options Settings > Appearance > Colors & Fonts. Please enable the checkbox: Alternate Backcolor With Default and click the Change Main List Backcolor Select button to choose another color.

Grid color.JPG

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

[...]

Bobby Chandler

In 7.0.1 I hear the call alert only on the first decode. Did I miss a checkbox somewhere?

Bobby/N4AU

--
n4au@outlook.com
n4au@arrl.net

Scott Davis

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for your e-mail.  That is as intended, so as to not drive users crazy.  The audio alert won't sound again until there is a gap in decodes of more that 3 minutes.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

In 7.0.1 I hear the call alert only on the first decode. Did I miss a
checkbox somewhere?

Bobby/N4AU

--

Gary E. Kohtala

Hmm. Unfortunately, n3fjp.com is not accessible for some reason. I'm not sure why.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

---

On Thursday, May 20, 2021, 7:12:39 AM EDT, Scott Davis via groups.io <snkdavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Banks

Hi Gary,

No issues here, in Maine.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

[...]

OK, Thanks Kimberly,

Bobby/N4AU

--
n4au@outlook.com
n4au@arrl.net

kb3co

Scott,
Please forgive me if you have stated this before through this group (reading all posts would be an almost full time job) but it is not clear to me where AC Log gets the data to populate the report provided by View -> 13 Colonies. Is there a new field in the database? Or is the info gleaned from an already existing field?

Charlie
KB3CO

Scott Davis

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Just log the 13 Colony QSOs normally in AC Log.  The form will display those calls logged during the event period.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Please forgive me if you have stated this before through this group (reading all posts would be an almost full time job) but it is not clear to me where AC Log gets the data to populate the report provided by View -> 13 Colonies. Is there a new field in the database? Or is the info gleaned from an already existing field?

Charlie
KB3CO

JoAnn Donaldson

Scott,

    Almost all of my Contest Loggers did the Upgrade with not problems.

JoAnn
AB8YZ