Just Upgraded to 7.0 Wow.. and Question

Mike Olbrisch

Good morning Dave.

I have not tried it yet, but when Scott writes something and it gets released to the general users, it is usually pretty functional.  It is a rare thing for true “BUGS” to get in to Scott’s work, more often it is anti-virus software or a driver issue that has to be corrected.

I started out using JT-Alert.  It didn’t work smoothly for me, and some of the folks on the user’s group were downright rude about help.  So I just used it in a clunky sort of way, working around the problems.  Then someone turned me on to Grid Tracker.  It doesn’t do some of the stuff JT-Alert did, but it isn’t as clunky as JT-Alert in my opinion, and the folks in the group seem a bit friendlier with help too.

I hope to try V-7 later, without Grid Tracker…..  we’ll see how that goes.  I’m up to my neck in other stuff right now, so maybe in a couple of weeks.  But I’m betting it works smoothly right from the start!

JMHO, FWIW, and YMMV of course.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61. 

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Templeton N4NG via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 10:08 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Just Upgraded to 7.0 Wow.. and Question

Greetings and thank you for your continued support of the Ham Community.

I have been using AC Log for a few years now. I received the notice via groups that version 7 was available. I was surprised to be greeted by an upgrade notice that let me upgrade ACLog when I fired up the program. It was a joy to upgrade/update without having to download the file. Wow Big Plus Plus there. I upgraded from 6.9

I am new to digital and just getting around to FT8. More Specifically, I just Downloaded WSJT-X and will be running it with IC-7300 at home, and TS-480 out in the field. Looking forward to ACLog and WSJT-X.

Question: I read that ACLog does not require the use of JTAlert to communicate with WSJT-X. Is there a specific reason I would want to run JTAlert since ACLog now does not require it? I realize there may be some input of a subjective nature, but I am new and looking for general consensus on the topic.

Stay Safe
--
73's

Dave - N4NG

Scott Davis

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your e-mail.  If you are just getting started with digital, AC Log 7.0 will be enough to get you going.  That said, JTAlert and / or GridTracker provide a lot of additional displays and information, so once you get settled in you may want to run those as well.  You can connect all 3 or 4 apps simultaneously, enjoying direct connect to N3FJP, N3FJP's coloring feature of WSJT, and all the benefits the other programs provide by setting up multicasting as detailed here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/wsjt-x-integration-with-n3fjp-software.html

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement on the software!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 12:07 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Just Upgraded to 7.0 Wow.. and Question

I have been using AC Log for a few years now. I received the notice via groups that version 7 was available. I was surprised to be greeted by an upgrade notice that let me upgrade ACLog when I fired up the program. It was a joy to upgrade/update without having to download the file. Wow Big Plus Plus there. I upgraded from 6.9

I am new to digital and just getting around to FT8. More Specifically, I just Downloaded WSJT-X and will be running it with IC-7300 at home, and TS-480 out in the field. Looking forward to ACLog and WSJT-X.

Question: I read that ACLog does not require the use of JTAlert to communicate with WSJT-X. Is there a specific reason I would want to run JTAlert since ACLog now does not require it? I realize there may be some input of a subjective nature, but I am new and looking for general consensus on the topic.

Stay Safe
--
73's

Dave - N4NG

Dave Templeton N4NG

Stay Safe
--
73's

Dave - N4NG