Crash? Not connecting

Larry Stowell K1ZW

I've had this occur in the past. I'm not a computer geek but what I've done is to totally
disconnect the ac to the computer, pull the plug, just not shutdown and reboot.
Leave it disconnected for a couple of minutes. This lets all the components dissipate
there charge. It's worked for me in the past. Windows sometimes just doesn't want to let go.

73 Larry K1ZW

On Sunday, April 25, 2021, 08:35:19 AM EDT, Ryan Trullinger (KC0QNB) <rt83021@...> wrote:

No windows update recently. I deleted and re created the virtual com ports, it is working now.
The rest of the story is I was running Win4Icom suite concurrently. The suite allows connection to up to 6 "virtual radios", it uses a different com port to allow the programs to run the same time.
So for now I learned something I am good to go.

Ryan Trullinger (KC0QNB)

No windows update recently. I deleted and re created the virtual com ports, it is working now.
The rest of the story is I was running Win4Icom suite concurrently. The suite allows connection to up to 6 "virtual radios", it uses a different com port to allow the programs to run the same time.
So for now I learned something I am good to go.

Jeff Steinkamp

Ryan

This is a common windows problem that happens with COM ports, especially when using USB to Serial devices.  The COM port probably did not get completely shutdown and there is still a handle open to the device, which is why you can not write to the device.  The only way to really clear this issue is to reboot the computer which should clear all of the handle during the shutdown.

--
Jeff K. Steinkamp (N7YG)
Tucson, AZ

Ryan Trullinger (KC0QNB) wrote on 4/24/2021 20:31:

I used ACL most of the day, no issues. Tonight however it would not connect to the com port, and when I try testing the connection I get make sure the port is not in use by another function it wasn't. I restarted my computer a couple of times and get this. I tried to test polling and the program would lock up. "not responding"
Not sure what to do next...thanks

Scott Davis

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  I don't recall ever hearing of a Write Timeout error before, but it would occur when your OS attempts to write data to the com port and can not.  Either your Internet protection software is blocking the connection, another app has hold of the port, or there is a problem with the port's function (hardware, bad driver, etc.).  Once your OS is able to communicate with your port, AC Log will again be able to pass information to your rig.

In addition to checking for permissions, one thing you can try is to go into Windows Device Manager, make sure the com port is listed there and that there isn't a yellow exclamation point beside the port, indicating that the port is missing a driver or not functioning properly for some other reason.

I used ACL most of the day, no issues. Tonight however it would not connect to the com port, and when I try testing the connection I get make sure the port is not in use by another function it wasn't. I restarted my computer a couple of times and get this. I tried to test polling and the program would lock up. "not responding"
Not sure what to do next...thanks

Lou WA5LOU

Did you get a Windows update in the last day or so?

Lou WA5LOU