Can I use multiple instances of AClog using Virtual Desktop Win 10

Paul&Tracy Richards

Hello All

I am looking to get rid of screen clutter (2 monitors still not enough) and came up with the idea of using Virtual Desktop.

What I wish to do is have the following setup

Virtual Desktop 1 with all my FT8 related programs open - ie JTDX, JTAlert, Gridtracker and Aclog for auto logging

Virtual Desktop 2 with all my cw related programs open - win4icom keyer logging directly to Aclog, cwskimmer etc.

As both Desktop systems (FT8 and CW) log automatically to Aclog I would like to have Aclog open in both virtual desktops at the same time so I can simply just click on either virtual desktop and be ready to go in FT8 or cw as required.

So my questions are:
Can AClog operate in this manner and still log correctly to its log data file
When I open a 2nd instance of Aclog I get the warning that com port XX is denied because it is in use by the the open Aclog on the first virtual desktop - can I overcome this by just selecting an unused com port for radio control (win4icom offers a 6 way radio port split)
I also get a second error message saying the TCP Application program interface has an error as it is sharing a port with the first Aclog in Virtual computer 1 - again - can I change this port in the second instance and get operational.

If the above structure is not possible is there another way of doing what I wish to achieve here

Cheers and Thanks
Paul - vk4ma

Scott Davis

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail. We are not familiar with Virtual Desktop so maybe some others will have some helpful insights for you. Another alternative is to try this approach, written with multiple family members in mind.

Give each family member their personal Windows user account. That way, AC Log, the log file and all the individualized settings are saved in each family member's personal user settings. It will be as if each family member has their own personal copy of AC Log, all on one PC! By the way, one registration is fine for your family.

Details for setting up your Windows User Accounts are here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ
www.n3fjp.com