How to cancel "Transmit CW"

John Allen

I was using Winter Field Day Logger.

I had too many USB connections for my laptop. And I plugged in a USB keyboard lamp, Rig Control (that I just got working with my TS-50), Keying adapter, Signalink USB, Mouse.)

I used an old powered hub that I have had for years. When I plugged in the keyboard lamp I transferred the keying adapter and the rig control to the hub. Later, when I plugged in the Signalink, which wants adequate power, I transferred my moue to the powered hub and plugged the Signalink directly into the computer.

Every time I keyed the radio with my microphone PTT or my code key, or the Signalink, the system would go crazy killing all the com ports as well as my mouse. I had to spend time reactivating the ports and finding my mouse again.

The computer told me that the USB hub was unrecognizable. I took it and the USB lamp out and plugged in the rig control and the keying adapter directly as well as the mouse. Joy!

Then I thought I would try to set up for digital, so I unplugged the keying adapter and (eventually) plugged in the Signalink. I brought up FLDIGI, and after I figured out the missing connections, I got it working and it was asking for frequencies and receiving the actual frequency. I need to work on how to make QSOs but I think it was working. I decoded some CQs. Now to work on answering.

As I could not see much action so I wanted to go back to CW and SSB. There was notice about a missing COM5 in the Transmit CW. I unplugged the Signalink and plugged in the CW adapter. Message kept recurring. It was toward the end of the Field Day period, so I did not want to shut down to repair the COM port.

Rig control was still working so I tried to type a new frequency into the CallSign Field. After every digit, the notice about the CW Com port recurred and had to be acknowledged.

I could not find the checkbox to check or uncheck saying enable this function. Could I have turned it off?

Next time I am going to have to think carefully of what I connect to the USB ports. That recurring message made the program nearly unusable.

Or is there a reliable powered USB hub available?

Thanks

John VA6SJA

Things were slow, so I wanted to

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Scott Davis

Hi John,

Thanks for your e-mail.  From the menu options click Settings > Transmit > CW and then select None from the keying options.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jan 31, 2021 10:57 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] How to cancel "Transmit CW"

I had too many USB connections for my laptop. And I plugged in a USB keyboard lamp, Rig Control (that I just got working with my TS-50), Keying adapter, Signalink USB, Mouse.)

I used an old powered hub that I have had for years. When I plugged in the keyboard lamp I transferred the keying adapter and the rig control to the hub. Later, when I plugged in the Signalink, which wants adequate power, I transferred my moue to the powered hub and plugged the Signalink directly into the computer.

Every time I keyed the radio with my microphone PTT or my code key, or the Signalink, the system would go crazy killing all the com ports as well as my mouse. I had to spend time reactivating the ports and finding my mouse again.

The computer told me that the USB hub was unrecognizable. I took it and the USB lamp out and plugged in the rig control and the keying adapter directly as well as the mouse. Joy!

Then I thought I would try to set up for digital, so I unplugged the keying adapter and (eventually) plugged in the Signalink. I brought up FLDIGI, and after I figured out the missing connections, I got it working and it was asking for frequencies and receiving the actual frequency. I need to work on how to make QSOs but I think it was working. I decoded some CQs. Now to work on answering.

As I could not see much action so I wanted to go back to CW and SSB. There was notice about a missing COM5 in the Transmit CW. I unplugged the Signalink and plugged in the CW adapter. Message kept recurring. It was toward the end of the Field Day period, so I did not want to shut down to repair the COM port.

Rig control was still working so I tried to type a new frequency into the CallSign Field. After every digit, the notice about the CW Com port recurred and had to be acknowledged.

I could not find the checkbox to check or uncheck saying enable this function. Could I have turned it off?

Next time I am going to have to think carefully of what I connect to the USB ports. That recurring message made the program nearly unusable.

Thanks
John VA6SJA

David Latchum

John I had a similar problem using an older win 10 computer with a bad keyboard.
One usb port was then used for a remote keyboard.
RF from 20 meters was getting in and taking control of my software.
I found it necessary to put some ferrites on the wired keyboard connection and
that cured the rfi. It's a good thing to keep ferrites available when messing around
as I did!!
73  Dave W1VR

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 7:05 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for your e-mail.  From the menu options click Settings > Transmit > CW and then select None from the keying options.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Thanks
John VA6SJA

John Allen

Well, there It was right there in front of me.  I should have studied those choices harder. Thanks for the information. I hope to avoid this situation in t he future.

John

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 5:05 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] How to cancel "Transmit CW"

Hi John,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Thanks

John VA6SJA

Frank Mellott

I use a LYFNLOVE USB 3.0 powered hub with my radio computer. It exceeds my low expectations.
If that helps.

Our radio club president found them on Amazon a few years ago and recommended them.

Frank
KB3PQT

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com