Topics

Bulk Editor of Operator Call

Scott Davis

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your follow up.  You can always find the latest version numbers that have been released at the top of their respective download pages, as well as the register now page,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jan 2, 2021 12:07 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Bulk Editor of Operator Call

Scott,
I am still using v. 6.6 and fields for station and operator do not show up during export ADIF process like in the screenshot you provided above. Was it added in later version of the program? Really fast, easy and safe solution.
Matt - AF2F

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Olbrisch <mike-2020@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 11:43 AM

If you are doing it with a text editor, make sure you have a good backup.  Certainly it is dead simple.  If you understand ADIF.  But delete one period or comma, get one piece out of place, and you just hosed your log.

BACKUP !!!!!  We all should be doing that anyway, but you know how it is………

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.
And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

An EXIT is really an ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Shorney
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 9:30 AM
Cc: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

It can be done on an ADIF file with a text editor and clever use of search and replace IF you have an understanding of how ADIF fields work (hint: it is dead simple).

You can also do it with ADIF Master:

You will have to export the log as ADIF, do the work, and then re-load it into ACL.

-Jim
NNU0C

On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 05:14:33 -0800
"Chuck Kraly K0XM" <k0xm@...> wrote:

> Hi Everyone.
> I have a friend who called and he has ACLog for general Logging. He
> has a problem I am trying to assist with. When he loaded his log from another logger, he merged his old call logs, with his new call logs. I am working with him on making the logs correct showing which call they were worked with. My question is is there a way to bulk edit the OPERATOR field (we are talking almost 500 qso's)? I have tried ADIF master, and other options, but no luck yet.
>
> Chuck K0XM
>
>
>
>
>

Jim Shorney

I've done it many times without hosing up a log. I guess the third kind are those who use the tools available to learn how to do it correctly.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 16:32:20 -0700
"Mike Olbrisch" <mike-2020@elp.rr.com> wrote:

Well, I've seen it. So YMMV. My opinion, there are two kinds of people
using text editors on their ADIF files. Those who hosed up a log. And
those who haven't yet. Well. There is a third......

Mike Olbrisch

Well, I've seen it. So YMMV. My opinion, there are two kinds of people
using text editors on their ADIF files. Those who hosed up a log. And
those who haven't yet. Well. There is a third......

So you pays your $$$ and you takes your chances. Do whatever works for you.
Including the backup, if you trust yourself that well.

Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC
El Paso, Texas - DM61rt

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf
Of Jim Shorney
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 12:29 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

That's a bit over dramatic. ADIF errors can be easily fixed if you didn't
actually mass delete data, but that's why we encourage backups. A simple
format error does not "hose your log". Attached is a short text file that
describes how ADIF works.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 09:43:09 -0700

If you are doing it with a text editor, make sure you have a good backup.
Certainly it is dead simple. If you understand ADIF. But delete one
period or comma, get one piece out of place, and you just hosed your log.

Jim Shorney

That's a bit over dramatic. ADIF errors can be easily fixed if you didn't actually mass delete data, but that's why we encourage backups. A simple format error does not "hose your log". Attached is a short text file that describes how ADIF works.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 09:43:09 -0700

If you are doing it with a text editor, make sure you have a good backup.
Certainly it is dead simple. If you understand ADIF. But delete one period
or comma, get one piece out of place, and you just hosed your log.

W5DET

Hello Chuck,
There is a FREE utility named MDBViewer Plus (link opens in a new window) which allows reading, editing, and writing *.mdb files.  One of the features I appreciate is it doesn't require installation in order to use it.  I have used this utility off and on for several years when I've had occasion to work on MSAccess databases including ACLog files.  If you decide it is the tool you want, I can help off list if needed.

73, Doug, W5DET

VG M

Scott,
I am still using v. 6.6 and fields for station and operator do not show up during export ADIF process like in the screenshot you provided above. Was it added in later version of the program? Really fast, easy and safe solution.
Matt - AF2F

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Olbrisch <mike-2020@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 11:43 AM

If you are doing it with a text editor, make sure you have a good backup.  Certainly it is dead simple.  If you understand ADIF.  But delete one period or comma, get one piece out of place, and you just hosed your log.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Shorney

It can be done on an ADIF file with a text editor and clever use of search and replace IF you have an understanding of how ADIF fields work (hint: it is dead simple).

https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers/message/45674

You will have to export the log as ADIF, do the work, and then re-load it into ACL.

-Jim

NNU0C

> Hi Everyone.

> has a problem I am trying to assist with. When he loaded his log from another logger, he merged his old call logs, with his new call logs. I am working with him on making the logs correct showing which call they were worked with. My question is is there a way to bulk edit the OPERATOR field (we are talking almost 500 qso's)? I have tried ADIF master, and other options, but no luck yet.

>

> Chuck K0XM

>

>

>

>

>

Mike Olbrisch

-Jim

NNU0C

> Hi Everyone.

>

> Chuck K0XM

>

>

>

>

>

Scott Davis

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Another alternative is to export the select records to be modified in ADIF with the correct Operator value, delete them from the log and reimport them.  You will need to change the value in setup for each section exported.

Capture.JPG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Sat, Jan 2, 2021 9:43 am

You just reminded me, that Access is the database format. I totally forgot that. And yes, it is a slippery slope messing with the file in Access. I am not sure that will be the way to go. 

Jim Shorney

-Jim
NNU0C

"Chuck Kraly K0XM" <k0xm@byrg.net> wrote:

Hi Everyone.
I have a friend who called and he has ACLog for general Logging. He has a problem I am trying to assist with. When he loaded his log from another logger, he merged his old call logs, with his new call logs. I am working with him on
making the logs correct showing which call they were worked with. My question is is there a way to bulk edit the OPERATOR field (we are talking almost 500 qso's)? I have tried ADIF master, and other options, but no luck yet.

Chuck K0XM

Chuck Kraly K0XM

You just reminded me, that Access is the database format. I totally forgot that. And yes, it is a slippery slope messing with the file in Access. I am not sure that will be the way to go. 

Bill Grover

The only other option I can think of is a copy of Access to directly open the database and update the data.  Make sure you have a good backup as any changes you make may cause ACL to stop working.  But if you are careful you can do a lot without impacting the program.

Bill, N3EYF

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Kraly K0XM via groups.io <k0xm@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 8:24 AM
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Bulk Editor of Operator Call

Hi Everyone.
I have a friend who called and he has ACLog for general Logging. He has a problem I am trying to assist with. When he loaded his log from another logger, he merged his old call logs, with his new call logs. I am working with him on
making the logs correct showing which call they were worked with. My question is is there a way to bulk edit the OPERATOR field (we are talking almost 500 qso's)? I have tried ADIF master, and other options, but no luck yet.

Chuck K0XM

Chuck Kraly K0XM

Hi Everyone.

Chuck K0XM