Backup and restore

Jim Shorney

A pro level backup scenario would be to have multiple thumb drives, say four for example. Label them 1, 2, 3, 4. Keep one off site, in drawer at work, in your car/truck/RV, wherever. Once a week swap in the next one. Exchange the TD you just swapped out with the off site TD and put the the formerly off site TD at the end of the rotation. Repeat next week. For the truly paranoid you could also periodically do a manual backup to DropBox or equivalent cloud service. For completeness you could also do a monthly backup of your ACLog settings as described at http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q20 . You could automate it all with batch files and you would be cooking with gas as they say.

-Jim
NU0C

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 06:37:40 -0800
"Don - KM4UDX" <dontay155@gmail.com> wrote:

Dennis --  wow, now that is a real lesson.  Thank you very much for the wonderful guidance, and ample motivation!! Hahha.

Don

Don - KM4UDX

Dennis --  wow, now that is a real lesson.  Thank you very much for the wonderful guidance, and ample motivation!! Hahha.  

Don

Dennis Younker NE6I

Don,

One plus to backing up to OneDrive is that it is a cloud service. Thus, if heaven forbid your house should burn down, your PC, external drives, thumb drives, etc. are likely to be turned to ashes. However, you will be able to restore from OneDrive once you get up and operational again.

Alternatively, you could back up to a separate folder on your hard drive (or SSD) and make sure that OneDrive is syncing with that folder. Thus you will have a local backup AND a cloud backup. This of course can’t be done with a thumb drive.

On the other hand, if you back up to a thumb drive, you will be mostly or completely protected if a virus or malware gets to your internal hard drive (or SSD).

Perhaps an even more reliable backup system is to pick your spot to have ACLog do its regular backups (upon exit) AND periodically back up to an external source, whether an external drive, thumb drive or OneDrive. You can do this manually by clicking File, Export ADIF, Whole Log. Do the manual backup periodically but on a regular basis, and do so religiously. How often you do it should be driven by how many QSOs per day you make and how comfortable you are in the case of loss of your primary backup. For example, you could manually back up weekly, monthly or quarterly if you are comfortable with one of those.

I’m sure we all have our PC failure horror stories. I’ve twice lost hard drives in the past 20 years but I do weekly hard drive images, so I don’t lose a ton of things if I lose a drive. I always image (backup) to an external drive so that viruses and malware can’t get to my backup (that statement is generally true but there are certain scenarios where that wouldn’t be true).

I export the entire log to OneDrive quarterly. I have ACLog set to do its regular backups to a folder on my hard drive. All in all, I feel pretty protected.

My horror story is that one night a car hit a nearby power pole. There was a big surge in electricity that hit my house. And the power to the house went down for many hours until the utility company could put in a new pole and retore power. That next morning, my PC would not boot up. So I began troubleshooting by replacing components one at a time. In the end, my PC power supply, my CPU, my motherboard, my RAM, and my hard drive were all toast. Only my case and CD drive survived. I wound up building a new PC and restoring from my external drive (which I only connect long enough to do backups), including thousands of family and personal pictures, all of my data files, and thankfully my ACLog file. I lost only a few QSOs in this case and I was able to retrieve those by looking at ARRL LOTW and re-inputting the missing Q’s. Whew!

Be structured and be religious about your backups.

73, Dennis NE6I

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Whelton
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 1:44 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Backup and restore

I guess it’s OK.  Just a personal choice but I’d rather backup to a thumb drive.  No use sharing your log with the whole world.  Not that Microsoft would do that or would they?

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Don - KM4UDX
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 2:53 PM

Is backing up to Microsoft's one drive, with the back up on exit box checked, considered good enough practice?

Pat Whelton

I guess it’s OK.  Just a personal choice but I’d rather backup to a thumb drive.  No use sharing your log with the whole world.  Not that Microsoft would do that or would they?

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Don - KM4UDX
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 2:53 PM

Is backing up to Microsoft's one drive, with the back up on exit box checked, considered good enough practice?

Don - KM4UDX

Scott Davis

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your follow up.  Just use the Browse button on the Backup form to select your thumb drive location.

There is no need to back up the program itself, just your log data.  You can always install the software from www.n3fjp.com.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Dec 24, 2020 12:49 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Backup and restore

Thank you, Scott, and a merry Christmas to you and yours.
Please forgive my lack of skill at windows navigation and moving stuff around.

I found the location of the N3FJP backup files, and if I understand it correctly, I need to alter the automatic N3FJP procedure so it saves to my thumb drive.  What are the specific steps to do this?  I assume I can then point to the thumb drive if a restore is needed.  Once I get this squared away, I plan to test it out so I know I can restore my log from the latest thumb drive backup if needed.

While I'm at it, can I also backup the complete N3FJP program to a thumb drive as well, if for some reason the code gets corrupted, or would I then need to use my system backup CD to restore my complete system?

Thanx in advance for your help, I'm really enjoying your software and all the advanced function you've added.   

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] LotW Status Display

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your follow up.  You bet, use this procedure here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q49

And if you ever do have to restore from backup, this will get you going:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q57

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Wed, Dec 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanx for the insight.  I've just connected my rig to N3FJP and have stopped manual logging so it's time to get a proven back up and restore procedure in place.  I'd like to use a permanent usb thumbdrive for this purpose, but need help on how to set this up.  Ie, how to link it to the logger, then how to do a recovery or restore.  Any details you might point me to?  I'm running windows 7 and not very good at moving files around.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...>
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 3:56:54 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your e-mail.  You won't see a red QSO from your LoTW downloads, as only records you upload (Sent) are returned from LoTW.

This explains why newly uploaded QSOs are black:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q32

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Dec 21, 2020 2:23 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] LotW Status Display

I'm a bit confused as to LotW status shown on my main screen.  My colors selected are:
Sent = Green
Received = Red
Sent & Received = Blue

None of my qso line items ever show up in red, and immediately after I upload new qso's to LotW, the ones that just were uploaded still appear in black.  I'm sure I'm missing something here.

PS: I just connected my radio to N3FJP and love'n it!

Jim Hamlin

Thank you, Scott, and a merry Christmas to you and yours.
Please forgive my lack of skill at windows navigation and moving stuff around.

I found the location of the N3FJP backup files, and if I understand it correctly, I need to alter the automatic N3FJP procedure so it saves to my thumb drive.  What are the specific steps to do this?  I assume I can then point to the thumb drive if a restore is needed.  Once I get this squared away, I plan to test it out so I know I can restore my log from the latest thumb drive backup if needed.

While I'm at it, can I also backup the complete N3FJP program to a thumb drive as well, if for some reason the code gets corrupted, or would I then need to use my system backup CD to restore my complete system?

Thanx in advance for your help, I'm really enjoying your software and all the advanced function you've added.   

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 6:01 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your follow up.  You bet, use this procedure here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q49

And if you ever do have to restore from backup, this will get you going:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q57

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Dec 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanx for the insight.  I've just connected my rig to N3FJP and have stopped manual logging so it's time to get a proven back up and restore procedure in place.  I'd like to use a permanent usb thumbdrive for this purpose, but need help on how to set this up.  Ie, how to link it to the logger, then how to do a recovery or restore.  Any details you might point me to?  I'm running windows 7 and not very good at moving files around.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 3:56:54 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your e-mail.  You won't see a red QSO from your LoTW downloads, as only records you upload (Sent) are returned from LoTW.

This explains why newly uploaded QSOs are black:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q32

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Dec 21, 2020 2:23 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] LotW Status Display

I'm a bit confused as to LotW status shown on my main screen.  My colors selected are:
Sent = Green
Received = Red
Sent & Received = Blue

None of my qso line items ever show up in red, and immediately after I upload new qso's to LotW, the ones that just were uploaded still appear in black.  I'm sure I'm missing something here.

PS: I just connected my radio to N3FJP and love'n it!