Question for Scott

WB5JJJ - George

Scott:

I spend a lot of time checking your site for the latest versions only to find out that I already have that file on my NAS.  Lately, I've been adding the version number to these files myself to save the download.  I don't usually keep all the programs installed on my computer at once.  

Can I ask if you can put the version number along with the file name, so I can compare what I have with what is on your site without having to install/run the program?  

Thanks. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

Scott Davis

Hi George,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The easiest approach is to join my Announcement Only e-mail group, so you are alerted to all new releases (as you are here as well).

https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftware

Even without that, there is no need to download the software to check the current version.  The current version is already displayed at the top of each download page:

Capture.JPG

As well as on the complete list of all programs here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/purchasepackage.html

Capture2.JPG

Finally, you will find the version number along with each program's revision summary:

Capture3.JPG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Fri, Dec 4, 2020 12:04 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Question for Scott

Scott:

I spend a lot of time checking your site for the latest versions only to find out that I already have that file on my NAS.  Lately, I've been adding the version number to these files myself to save the download.  I don't usually keep all the programs installed on my computer at once.  

Can I ask if you can put the version number along with the file name, so I can compare what I have with what is on your site without having to install/run the program?  

Thanks. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

AI3KS

Scott,

I think what George is asking for (and I do the same thing) would be to include the version in the filename (for example ACLog6.7, FIELDDAY6.2). Don't know how much extra work that would be.

That makes it a simple task to compare the downloaded version with that listed on the website as I don't always download a new version if the contest is still some time away, but always check right before I get set up for it.

Steve, AI3KS

On 20/12/04 07:13, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi George,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The easiest approach is to join my Announcement Only e-mail group, so you are alerted to all new releases (as you are here as well).

Even without that, there is no need to download the software to check the current version.  The current version is already displayed at the top of each download page:

Finally, you will find the version number along with each program's revision summary:

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Scott:

Thanks. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

Scott Davis

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your follow up and clarification.  Sorry, no, that isn't in the cards, but don't worry, after the next release, all the programs will check for a later version automatically on start up.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Dec 4, 2020 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Question for Scott

Scott,

I think what George is asking for (and I do the same thing) would be to include the version in the filename (for example ACLog6.7, FIELDDAY6.2). Don't know how much extra work that would be.

That makes it a simple task to compare the downloaded version with that listed on the website as I don't always download a new version if the contest is still some time away, but always check right before I get set up for it.

Steve, AI3KS

Hi George,

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott:

Thanks. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

AI3KS

Even Better!

Thanks Scott.

Steve AI3KS

On 20/12/04 09:47, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your follow up and clarification.  Sorry, no, that isn't in the cards, but don't worry, after the next release, all the programs will check for a later version automatically on start up.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott,

Steve, AI3KS

Hi George,

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott:

Thanks. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

Kevin Gray

I tend to agree with George, and Steve.

If I download the installer for ACLog, I usually end up with this.

Any Idea which one is which ? Me either, unless I re-name them after download. This make it more difficult to keep archived versions in case the “New” one doesn’t work.

My approach so far has been to change the names after download to keep things straight, that way I always have the option to see exactly what I do have, without taking the time to re-download.

Your milage and disk space may vary, but this has been my approach.

73 Kevin, N9VPV

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Friday, December 4, 2020 8:47 AM

Hi Steve,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott,

Steve, AI3KS

Hi George,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott:

Thanks. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

Larry Banks

Hi George,

I resolve this issue by naming the folder with the version.  For instance, my folder for tonight’s contest is:

C:/hamprograms/N3FJP Software/ARRL 160-48

I do keep all of the software on my SSD, and change the file name to the new version when I upgrade.   If you don’t want to keep the software, you could still leave the folder there so you would know what the version is.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 0:04

Scott:

Thanks.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

Jim Shorney

And the version of your previously downloaded files can be found in the file Properties > Details.

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:13:32 +0000 (UTC)
"Scott Davis via groups.io" <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi George,
https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftware

http://www.n3fjp.com/purchasepackage.html

Enjoy!

73, ScottN3FJPhttp://www.n3fjp.com

Scott:

Thanks.

Jim Shorney

Right-click on the file and select Properties. Easy-peasy.

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 09:12:46 -0600
"Kevin Gray" <n9vpv@arrl.net> wrote:

Any Idea which one is which ? Me either, unless I re-name them after download. This make it more difficult to keep archived versions in case the “New” one doesn’t work.

Jim Shorney

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 10:24:20 -0500
"Larry Banks via groups.io" <larryb.w1dyj=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I resolve this issue by naming the folder with the version. For instance, my folder for tonight’s contest is:

This is another brilliant solution. An organized folder tree is a wonderful thing.

For me it is a three step process. Check my current program version under Help > About; check the latest version on the web site; download new version if necessary.

Or if it is a contest program: IF (day before contest) = YES THEN (download new version). There are always updates.

-Jim
NU0C

Kevin Gray

Extra un-necessary steps Jim.
While the solution does work, it would be completely not needed, if the file "Name" said it all.
Life is short, Time is valuable

I wont reply to this tread again.
It is completely up to Scott what he chooses to do

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On
Behalf Of Jim Shorney
Sent: Friday, December 4, 2020 10:02 AM

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 09:12:46 -0600

Any Idea which one is which ? Me either, unless I re-name them after
download. This make it more difficult to keep archived versions in case the
“New” one doesn’t work.

Larry Banks

Part of every ham's pre-contest checklist (you all do have one, right?) is to install the latest sw.

Larry / W1DYJ

Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 11:10

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 10:24:20 -0500
"Larry Banks via groups.io" <larryb.w1dyj=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I resolve this issue by naming the folder with the version. For instance, my folder for tonight’s contest is:

This is another brilliant solution. An organized folder tree is a wonderful thing.

For me it is a three step process. Check my current program version under Help > About; check the latest version on the web site; download new version if necessary.

Or if it is a contest program: IF (day before contest) = YES THEN (download new version). There are always updates.

-Jim
NU0C

Jim Shorney

I consider myself to be generally lazy but I don't see a couple of mouse clicks as a burden if you are already looking at the file anyway. Better than putting extra work on the developers for a solution in search of a problem IMO.

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 10:46:06 -0600

Extra un-necessary steps Jim.
While the solution does work, it would be completely not needed, if the file "Name" said it all.
Life is short, Time is valuable

I wont reply to this tread again.
It is completely up to Scott what he chooses to do

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On
Behalf Of Jim Shorney
Sent: Friday, December 4, 2020 10:02 AM

-Jim
NU0C

W5DET

I plowed this same ground with Scott some 10 years ago with equal success (lack of).  Scott has his own configuration control system  It works for him.  We don't get to change it.
However, I know in my browsers, Firefox and Vivaldi, if I select SAVE AS I can alter the filename before downloading instead of looking for it after to rename it.  In order to work in this manner, in your browser options, DESELECT Download to Default File Location. EZPZ.

73, Doug Thompson, W5DET
p.s.  I no longer use Windoze, but this is how I operated with XP and Win7 when I did.

Jim Shorney

Right-click > Save Link As... works too.

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 10:42:35 -0800
"W5DET" <w5det@arrl.net> wrote:

I know in my browsers, *Firefox ( https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ )* and *Vivaldi ( https://vivaldi.com )* , if I select SAVE AS I can alter the filename before downloading instead of looking for it after to rename it.  In order to work in this manner, in your browser options, DESELECT Download to Default File Location. EZPZ.