From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mitch Matteau N0DIM
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2020 5:36 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] AC Log Calldata Out of Date?

I use AC Log (V6.6) Calldata when I am working POTA and not connected to the internet.  I found out yesterday that that data was out of date.  So... I updated it from the program after connecting back to the internet.  I then checked the calldata.html webpage to see when the data was last updated.  According to that page, the data is updated weekly when using v4.1 or higher of ACLog.  Apparently not?  As a check I entered the callsign of the contact that complained to me about his record, and it has not changed after I downloaded the new files.  QRZ data is current for that one callsign.

What am I doing wrong?

73

Mitch N0DIM

WA7WS

I had an interesting experience in my POTA activation yesterday.  I'm BRAND NEW to this software and it was my first time using it.
I made about ten different contacts with the same person (once on each of 10 different bands)  and the output from whatever the database used was weird.
I typed in his call sign.. and up pops two different names.. One was in CO and one in ID.  The one in CO was incorrect.  The one in ID has had his call for at least a few years.

What database is used?  When I type his call into QRZ.. everything looks correct.. but in ACLog.. it gets this dual problem.. It's only happened this one time

I had a similar issue with a 2nd contact where this ham replied to my QRZ and, of course, a name and address popped up.  But it was incorrect information.

Curious how frequent this happens..
What database is used for the contact data?

My N3FJP download took place about a week ago.

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

Which database have you chosen to use.  You can choose the one you want in the N3FJP software.  Which one have you chosen?

Lou

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 8:29 AM N7GHG <chipz40@...> wrote:
[...]

Bert W0RSB

If you're so inclined, you can make your own up-to-date callbook every Sunday.

You'll need a copy of FCC document pa_ddef51, ULS Data File Formats, in order to make sense of the data you download.
https://www.fcc.gov/files/paddef51pdf

Start by downloading the raw call data from the FCC:

I use "wget" like this:
wget --no-check-certificate --verbose --progress=bar -4 -N ftp://wirelessftp.fcc.gov/pub/uls/complete/l_amat.zip
(The FCC database is updated every week, on Sunday.)

Then extract the two pieces of the database that you need in order to extract only the current, active calls, EN.DAT and HD.DAT:

unzip -o -C l_amat.zip EN.DAT HD.DAT

The file EN.DAT has a list of all ham calls, even those that are not currently active.

The file EN.DAT has all the name, address, and other data needed to make a useful callbook. Just remember that not all the entries are for active calls.
EN.DAT also has a "Unique System Identifier" in field 2 for each call which you'll use to find the entry with the status data in HD.DAT.

The file HD.DAT has the same list of calls without the personal data, but has a status code that you use to determine if the call is currently active.
In HD.DAT, if the field 6 "License status" has the alphabetic status "A" then the call is currently active.
In HD.DAT, the "Unique System Identifier" is also in field 2.

If you have database software available, you can create tables with HD.DAT and EN.DAT data, extract the active call entries, which you can then use to produce a result containing only the active files in whatever format you need.

My simple-minded brute-force approach is to first extract all entries from HD.DAT that have a "License Status" field of "A", saving only the "Unique System Identifier" in a C#  Hashtable.

I then pass through the EN.DAT table. If the "Unique System Identifier" matches one I saved when I devoured the HD.DAT table, I know that the call is active.

If all you want is a simple list of all currently active calls, just copy the fields from each line in EN.DAT that's marked as active and format the parts that you want.

If you want to split all the calls in a format that you can feed to ACLOG, you have a bit more massaging and formatting to do.

There are probably typos, misspellings, and confusion between HD.DAT and EN.DAT in this post, but I think you can make your way through the mistakes.

Have fun!

--
Bert - W0RSB
Saint Paul, MN

Scott Davis

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The FCC data is updated weekly and you can use the old version of AC Log to process it.  In addition, I run the process every 6 months as well.  The next planned update is January.

Other services such as QRZ and Buckmaster's Hamcall offer more currently updated options.

I use AC Log (V6.6) Calldata when I am working POTA and not connected to the internet.  I found out yesterday that that data was out of date.  So... I updated it from the program after connecting back to the internet.  I then checked the calldata.html webpage to see when the data was last updated.  According to that page, the data is updated weekly when using v4.1 or higher of ACLog.  Apparently not?  As a check I entered the callsign of the contact that complained to me about his record, and it has not changed after I downloaded the new files.  QRZ data is current for that one callsign.

What am I doing wrong?

73

Mitch N0DIM

Scott Davis

Hi Chip,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The data source for the callbook lookup is this:

ftp://wirelessftp.fcc.gov/pub/uls/complete/l_amat.zip

Keep in mind that AC Log will also optionally pull data from previous QSOs forward, based on your settings.

[...]

Mitch Matteau N0DIM

Thanks for your reply, Scott.  I get it now.  From the webpage wording, it appeared that the weekly updates migrated into ACLog auto-magically.  I do not have a copy of the older version of AC Log to massage the file - is it available somewhere?

73

Mitch

Scott Davis

Hi Mitch,