Which contest database to use?

Bainbridge Cowell

In the N3FJP software, for example the CW Ops contest program, when I start a new weekly “mini-test” (CWT), I have a two choices:

  • Start a new contest with the current database file, or
  • Start a new contest with a new database file.

I have been using the second option, because when I try the first one I get a warning message that this will delete the previous log in that database file.

I would like to choose an option that might “fill in” contact details like name and CW Ops member number when I contact  a station I have worked in previous mini-tests.  Since the ops are running at 25-40 wpm, this would really help me not having to ask for repeats!

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Bain, K8LBQ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Larry Banks

Hi Bain,

Have you turned on your history file?

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 16:53
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Which contest database to use?

In the N3FJP software, for example the CW Ops contest program, when I start a new weekly “mini-test” (CWT), I have a two choices:

  • Start a new contest with the current database file, or
  • Start a new contest with a new database file.

I have been using the second option, because when I try the first one I get a warning message that this will delete the previous log in that database file.

I would like to choose an option that might “fill in” contact details like name and CW Ops member number when I contact  a station I have worked in previous mini-tests.  Since the ops are running at 25-40 wpm, this would really help me not having to ask for repeats!

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Bain, K8LBQ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Scott Davis

Hi Bain,

Thanks for your e-mail.  To fill in data from your history file, click Settings > History file and enable the function.

In the N3FJP software, for example the CW Ops contest program, when I start a new weekly “mini-test” (CWT), I have a two choices:

  • Start a new contest with the current database file, or
  • Start a new contest with a new database file.

I have been using the second option, because when I try the first one I get a warning message that this will delete the previous log in that database file.

I would like to choose an option that might “fill in” contact details like name and CW Ops member number when I contact  a station I have worked in previous mini-tests.  Since the ops are running at 25-40 wpm, this would really help me not having to ask for repeats!

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Bain, K8LBQ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tanner Jones, W9TWJ

I would also add that if you want to add to your history file (i.e. calls not in your log), Scott has made this really easy to do.

You can add additional information and use the merge option or home-brew your own history file.

As Scott says, if you do this: create a back-up of your original file and follow the formatting requirements that are outlined.

I used Excel to create the formatting requirements then just dump the data in Excel and had Excel do all the work. Copy from Excel to a text file and merge.

Doug WA2DX

Thanks for the information.