Topics

more 4k monitor woes

Scott Davis

Thanks for the good information Chris!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Oct 6, 2020 12:02 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] more 4k monitor woes

The menu offset and shrinkage still occurs at 100%. The monitor is landscape. But then the Awards dialog doesn’t have the correct layout, elements overlap and it’s unusable. 

my setup is a multi monitor stress test (somewhat intentionally). The left monitor is secondary and offset, like  |—.  So that means it’s coordinate space is negative and it’s origin is completely negative. The two monitors also have different scales, 150% on the left and 200% on the center. 

thanks for the quick response,
chris

Chris Prosser

The menu offset and shrinkage still occurs at 100%. The monitor is landscape. But then the Awards dialog doesn’t have the correct layout, elements overlap and it’s unusable. 

my setup is a multi monitor stress test (somewhat intentionally). The left monitor is secondary and offset, like  |—.  So that means it’s coordinate space is negative and it’s origin is completely negative. The two monitors also have different scales, 150% on the left and 200% on the center. 

thanks for the quick response,
chris

Jay

Chris, 
I too see the same issues with my 4K monitors; the awards dialog box, the LOTW upload screen, and the VHF contest software all look similar to your pic of the awards dialog box.
The only way to fix it was to blow it up almost to the full size of the monitor, which takes up entirely too much room - My plan to move to 4K was to see more things on the monitor at once, not less - so I am still dealing with how to position the logging software and still see everything else. All of my monitors run the same resolution and settings. AClogs visual elements don't scale well on 4K.

- Jay N1AV

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 6:54 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Chris,

I would be curious if the problem persists at 100% in landscape mode?

I am at a loss on the top level menus being one size and the sub level menus being another.  

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

From: Chris Prosser via groups.io <chris=nart.org@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Oct 5, 2020 12:16 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] more 4k monitor woes

Hi Folks,

I've been digging through the multimonitor and 4K threads and it's not clear to my if my situation is supported. I just started trying the program today and I like what I can get to so far.

My setup: left monitor, portrait mode 1440 x 2560. Scale at 150%. Don't plan on using AC Log on it.
Center monitor, landscape mode, 3840 x 2160. Scale at 200%.

Running with my monitor scale at 100% isn't an option due to other software I use the requires the scale increase to be operable.

Problem #1: Menu's show up unscaled and offset (possibly just the unscaled localtion) with the shadow showing up offset by the origin of the window (I think). Here's me clicking on the Awards menu.

The awards form has font scaling issues, making it unusable. Unfortunately if I change form scaling to 50%, then the main window is too small.

I can find a compromise if the form size is 80%. The Awards dialog is huge, filling up the 4k display, but workable.

But the menus are still very difficult to use.

I am a desktop application programmer by trade, and about a decade ago I had to spend a lot of time adapting our software to work correctly in all these use cases. My colleague ended up creating a new view framework and we had to port our code to it. It was not fun. I have another program from a different programmer that is having similar menu item issues and I wonder if you all are using the same framework under the hood.

Practically, if I set the form size to 80% I can get everything usable from a font size and dialog layout perspective, but the menus are still broken.

Is that something you are tracking?

I apologize in advance for slow replies during the work week. I will not have time to poke at this again until the weekend.

thanks,
chris

Scott Davis

Hi Chris,

I would be curious if the problem persists at 100% in landscape mode?

I am at a loss on the top level menus being one size and the sub level menus being another.  

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Folks,

I've been digging through the multimonitor and 4K threads and it's not clear to my if my situation is supported. I just started trying the program today and I like what I can get to so far.

My setup: left monitor, portrait mode 1440 x 2560. Scale at 150%. Don't plan on using AC Log on it.

Running with my monitor scale at 100% isn't an option due to other software I use the requires the scale increase to be operable.

Problem #1: Menu's show up unscaled and offset (possibly just the unscaled localtion) with the shadow showing up offset by the origin of the window (I think). Here's me clicking on the Awards menu.

The awards form has font scaling issues, making it unusable. Unfortunately if I change form scaling to 50%, then the main window is too small.

I can find a compromise if the form size is 80%. The Awards dialog is huge, filling up the 4k display, but workable.

I am a desktop application programmer by trade, and about a decade ago I had to spend a lot of time adapting our software to work correctly in all these use cases. My colleague ended up creating a new view framework and we had to port our code to it. It was not fun. I have another program from a different programmer that is having similar menu item issues and I wonder if you all are using the same framework under the hood.

Practically, if I set the form size to 80% I can get everything usable from a font size and dialog layout perspective, but the menus are still broken.

I apologize in advance for slow replies during the work week. I will not have time to poke at this again until the weekend.

thanks,
chris

Scott Davis

Thanks for the report Wilbur.  Are you also using two different monitors, each with different dimensions?  

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Oct 5, 2020 6:58 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] more 4k monitor woes

I have the same issue for months quit using aclog went to hrd when it could not be fixed following.

AB8WD-Willie

I have the same issue for months quit using aclog went to hrd when it could not be fixed following.

Scott Davis

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you have run into trouble.  I did work on the software back in 2019 to display properly on a 4K monitors and I thought I had most of the bugs worked out.  While I did have a second monitor connected, it was 1920 by 1080 and not the primary monitor.  I really didn't focus on two monitor configurations.  Yours is the first problem report since I updated the code, so I think most typical setups are okay.

Unfortunately, following my testing, my 4K monitor was repurposed and I no longer have access to it for testing, but I will keep your comments in mind for the future.

Thanks for your interest in my software!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Folks,

thanks,
chris

Chris Prosser

Hi Folks,

thanks,
chris