Topics

Log entry performance

Rick Harkins WØYGH

Are there any guidelines for how ACLog performs as the number of log entries increases? I have almost 4000 contacts in my log and there is a significant pause when I press ENTER on a new log record. With a new, empty database the record insert is instant. I have a recent laptop with an i5 processor, plenty of memory and an SSD.

Is there any advantage to creating a new database and importing all of your old records?

Thanks!
Rick WØYGH

Scott Davis

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your e-mail.  From the menu option click List > Set List Default Count and enter a value of 50 or less.

I have 58K records here and AC Log is snappy as ever.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Sep 27, 2020 3:28 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Log entry performance

Are there any guidelines for how ACLog performs as the number of log entries increases? I have almost 4000 contacts in my log and there is a significant pause when I press ENTER on a new log record. With a new, empty database the record insert is instant. I have a recent laptop with an i5 processor, plenty of memory and an SSD.

Is there any advantage to creating a new database and importing all of your old records?

Thanks!
Rick WØYGH

Fred K2DFC

I have 30k entries, and LIST 100. Also snappy.

--
Fred
K2DFC

Pat Whelton

Rick.  Try the following:

• LIST
  • LAST 50

Give that a shot and see if it gets any faster.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Harkins WØYGH
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 2:28 PM

Thanks!
Rick WØYGH

_._,_._,_

Mike Olbrisch

I think a lot of it has to do with the computer it is running on and how it is set up.  Presently I run a 3.6 GHz I-7 Octo-Core processor on 16 GB of RAM under Windows-10.   I am told this is a very good computer.  Even so, AC-Log doesn’t seem to tax it at all.  I have it set to Last-250.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Whelton
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 14:24 PM
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Log entry performance

Rick.  Try the following:

• LIST
  • LAST 50

Give that a shot and see if it gets any faster.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Harkins WØYGH
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 2:28 PM

Thanks!
Rick WØYGH

Rick Harkins WØYGH

Everyone, thanks for the tips.

I tried exporting all of my contacts, creating a new database, and importing all of them into the new database. My performance is back to what I expect. New entries are instant. 

I wonder if I somehow honked up the original database with too many edits, adds, deletes, renumbers, sorts. I've never worked HF before and started doing POTA earlier this year. I had a steep learning curve on how to work a pile-up and log at the same time.

Rick WØYGH

K4GM-George

Hi Rick:

Any delay is on your end.   I have almost 70,000 entries and new contacts are added quickly. No delay.   There is a slight delay while the program saves after I import several hundred contacts from a contest but only for the initial save after import.   4000 contacts isn't going to slow it down noticeably.

Good luck and  73,

George K4GM

On 9/27/2020 3:28 PM, Rick Harkins WØYGH wrote:

Thanks!
Rick WØYGH