Topics

Passwords

Joe K7JOE

does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

kc6mie

I just printed them out so it’s available

Stephen Spencer

On Sep 6, 2020, at 7:09 AM, Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe@...> wrote:

does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

Larry Banks

Hi Joe,

I never have this issue.  There is something amiss with your setup.  I wish I had an answer for you.  Are you using the latest version of each contest?

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2020 9:13
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Passwords

does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

K7GA

A long time ago I printed my N3FJP password list out and placed it in a folder in my file cabinet. I also took a picture of that page with my iPhone and saved that to a secure folder in the phone and on my station computer - and backed it up to a thumb drive.

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Sep 6, 2020, at 07:09, Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe@...> wrote:

does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

Jr - VE9ZZ

Joe your passwords are supposed to be stored in the folders that were installed for each contest. Look in your Documents folder there should be a folder named Affirmatech, then inside the N3FJP folder should be folders of each contest. I believe the password for each one should be where they belong. if they are not stored there then your program missed something.
VE9ZZ Jr

--
----- CW Forever -----
Fidel Jr - VE9ZZ

Scott Davis

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your e-mail.  You only need to enter the passwords once.  The only time you should have to reference the password list after that is when to move to a new PC, so keep them around for that eventuality, but otherwise, you should not regularly need to refer to the list.

If you ever do lose your password list, you can e-mail us direct and Kimberly will send you another list.

A long time ago I printed my N3FJP password list out and placed it in a folder in my file cabinet. I also took a picture of that page with my iPhone and saved that to a secure folder in the phone and on my station computer - and backed it up to a thumb drive.

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Sep 6, 2020, at 07:09, Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe@...> wrote:

does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

Mel Marcus

I used to have the same problem. I have a folder in my email for N3FJP so what i did was make a subfolder that I call KEYS. I put Scott and Kims email with the keys/passwords in that subfolder. also in that folder are direct correspondence I might have with Scott and Kim

Mel
NE9A

[...]

Joseph Miller

Depending on which service you use for e-mail, some will let you create and name folders for saving your e-mails. I have been doing it that way for years and it's quick as I have a single place to look.

My other thought is to print Scott's email and keep it in a handy place.

Best wishes es 73

Joe KJ8O

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 7:09 AM Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

Archibald Delfish

If using an IPhone, I usually save in Contact Notes
Under N3FJP.

Guess you can do that also, wherever you save your contacts.

XS Max

On Sep 6, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...> wrote:

Depending on which service you use for e-mail, some will let you create and name folders for saving your e-mails. I have been doing it that way for years and it's quick as I have a single place to look.

My other thought is to print Scott's email and keep it in a handy place.

Best wishes es 73

Joe KJ8O
_._,_._,_

n0dpr@comcast.netLEhU9NJpW <n0dpr@...>

Great idea, you always have an alphabetical reference.
Brad

Sent from Xfinity Connect App

If using an IPhone, I usually save in Contact Notes
Under N3FJP.

Guess you can do that also, wherever you save your contacts.

XS Max

On Sep 6, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...> wrote:

Depending on which service you use for e-mail, some will let you create and name folders for saving your e-mails. I have been doing it that way for years and it's quick as I have a single place to look.

My other thought is to print Scott's email and keep it in a handy place.

Best wishes es 73

Joe KJ8O

Jim Shorney

I keep them in a text file in the folder where my log files reside (which is not the default folder, so I can find it easily) and also backed up in another location.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 06:13:38 -0700
"Joe K7JOE via groups.io" <k7joe=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

K8TS

Original list Scott/Kimberly sent printed and refrigerator magnet to file cabinet.

Dale K8TS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I keep them in a text file in the folder where my log files reside (which is not the default folder, so I can find it easily) and also backed up in another location.

73

-Jim

NU0C

On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 06:13:38 -0700

"Joe K7JOE via groups.io" <k7joe@...> wrote:

> does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords

> Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

> Joe

Pat Whelton

Hi Joe.  I’ve handled the password situation in two different ways.  Since I’ve changed computers 2 or 3 times since I’ve started using ACLog I have a hard copy printed of the original email Kimberly sent when I purchased the suite.  After misplacing that email a couple of times I figured I’m going to fix this problem once and for all.  I took the original email and scanned it into a PDF file and it resides in my documents folder with the name “N3FJP-Passwords”.  This file gets backed up every weekend using SyncToy.

Typically the only time I need to refer to this document is when I decide to play in a contest I’ve never entered before.  Other than that the various loggers in the suite are pretty good about remembering their various passwords.

Good luck.

73,

Pat – KZ5J

does anyone  have a best practice for the passwords
Every time I load a contest I have to hunt for the email with passwords.   No way to go to a universal password is there ?

Joe

Joe K7JOE

Thanks, yup  every contest requires a different password when loading to the PC - this year i'm doing the state QSO challenge and decided to do wpx after a long time not doing it, then decided to start using ACLOG for the pota and wmplota stuff...yes, the password is the same for every state but i can never remember it 46 seconds before the contest starts and i get around to loading up the software (grin)...