IARU, Multi-op, band change rule and timer suggestion

Lawrence (VA3IQ)

Scott,

There is a similar requirement in the RAC Canada Day and Winter Contests for the Multi-Single Category:

4) * In the Multi-Single category only one transmitter and one band are permitted during the same time period (defined as 10 minutes). Exception: One, and only one, other band may be used during any
10-minute period, if and only if the station worked is a new multiplier. In other words the Multi-Single Transmitter class allows a second station to “hunt” and work multipliers only on a single separate band during any 10-minute period.

This rule is applied to SO2R operations.  In addition, verification that a potential station is a new multiplier would have to be checked.

Thanks for considering it as a feature request.

Regards,

73 DE VA3IQ

Lawrence

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 8:00 PM John Huber <n8fyl@...> wrote:
Bruce,

I understand the ethical reasons why you decided to not send in your log.  Have you thought about submitting it as a checklog? After all, if you submitted it as is with the band change violation, rule
4.3.4. Violation of the band change rules will reclassify the entry as checklog.
would turn your log into a checklog anyway!

Submitting as a checklog helps the contest organizers with the log checking process, and lets all the stations you did contact to have their contacts confirmed.  I have seen posts on the contesting.com where some operators for one reason or another chose to operate a whole contest in a manner that they know does not fit the rules.  They submit their logs as a checklog to make sure the other guys can get the credit they deserve for making the qsos.

73,  John / N8FYL

John Huber

Bruce,

I understand the ethical reasons why you decided to not send in your log.  Have you thought about submitting it as a checklog? After all, if you submitted it as is with the band change violation, rule
4.3.4. Violation of the band change rules will reclassify the entry as checklog.
would turn your log into a checklog anyway!

Submitting as a checklog helps the contest organizers with the log checking process, and lets all the stations you did contact to have their contacts confirmed.  I have seen posts on the contesting.com where some operators for one reason or another chose to operate a whole contest in a manner that they know does not fit the rules.  They submit their logs as a checklog to make sure the other guys can get the credit they deserve for making the qsos.

73,  John / N8FYL

Scott Davis

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.  I don't recall receiving a similar request, but understand how that would have been helpful and I will give it some thought for the future.

Thanks again!

This past weekend, my wife and I dabbled in the IARU contest as a Multi-op using her callsign.  We inadvertently violated the band-change rule and once we realized it, we gave up and won't send in our log.  We learned a good lesson.

The rule is:
4.3.1. Must remain on a band and mode for at least 10 minutes before changing bands or modes. There are no exceptions. The “10 minute clock” starts when a QSO is logged.

We had cleaned out 15M, then we went to 20M, then we went to 40M to see if there was any action there and we found W1AW/4 and worked 'em.  Oooops!  Not enough time had gone by.  If N3FJP IARU software somehow knew that we were a Multi-op, a Red flag timer that would appear for 10 minutes after the first QSO in a new band or mode would be a GREAT assistance to help avoid violating this rule.  I'll go look at the menus again, but I don't recall a menu option to turn anything "on" like this.

Turns out this only applies to Multi-ops, so I understand why it's a low-priority coding project.  But a red warning flag that appears for 10 minutes and then disappears would be a great aid for situational awareness.  Have you coded anything similar for other contests?

73
Bruce Richardson W9FZ

Bruce Richardson