Rig Frequency adjust for transverter

wa1try@...

Is it possible to activate some kind of displayed frequency offset for those us using transverters?   Been using HRD that has that ability.   For example when using HRD my "IF" rig (exciter) is set to read the VFO at 28.175 mhz .. When using a transverteer I can turn on a preset frequency offset of xx mhz so the resultant displayed frequency is 50.175.    Has anyone had any experience using transverters  with the N3FJP software?   Couldn't find anything in help or FAQs.   BTW, just bought the suite ... So far I've been mostly using the general logging and like it a lot ! 

73, Rich - WA1TRY

Scott Davis

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I've had a few requests for that feature over the years, but not too many.  I'm afraid I don't currently have that built into the software, but I will give it some thought for the future.

Thanks for the suggestion!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jul 9, 2020 11:43 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Rig Frequency adjust for transverter

Is it possible to activate some kind of displayed frequency offset for those us using transverters?   Been using HRD that has that ability.   For example when using HRD my "IF" rig (exciter) is set to read the VFO at 28.175 mhz .. When using a transverteer I can turn on a preset frequency offset of xx mhz so the resultant displayed frequency is 50.175.    Has anyone had any experience using transverters  with the N3FJP software?   Couldn't find anything in help or FAQs.   BTW, just bought the suite ... So far I've been mostly using the general logging and like it a lot ! 

73, Rich - WA1TRY

WA1TRY - Our-Emails <wa1try@...>

Fair enough.  Thanks .. Looking forward to a future implementation.   

73, Rich - WA1TRY

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

I love the series of logging programs, but I would like to see this capability as well. I realize there are relatively few who use transverters, But I recently added a transverter for 222 MHz for both general use as well as VHF/UHF contesting and it’s a pain to manually edit those entries for actual frequency entry. It would be great if there were an offset option for each band. My son, an avid VHF/UHF contester, uses N1MM for that reason and suggested I do the same, but I resisted because I don’t have that many 222 contacts.

Thanks for considering this option, Scott.

Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

holt david <dave.holt@...>

Hi Scott
I could use that feature too.
I am just setting up a transverter for 4m which will mean manually adjusting the log for those contacts.
Thanks again for great software and service.
73 Dave G1BTV 

Mike Olbrisch

For those running a transverter…..   at least my radio (FTdx5000MP) has settings to allow the display to read correctly when using a transverter.  Perhaps your radio also?

If not, and you are running one freq…..   type <CTRL>-<SHIFT>-<R> to stop rig polling.  Then on your first transverter contact, type in the proper frequency, and just let AC-Log fill it in the same after every contact.  If you are hopping around from contact to contact, that won’t help much.

Yeah – I know.  You want AUTOMATIC!  But until that day comes, you make it work some other way.  Of you switch programs.

Hope this is helpful in some small way.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of holt david
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 7:57 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Rig Frequency adjust for transverter

Hi Scott
I could use that feature too.
I am just setting up a transverter for 4m which will mean manually adjusting the log for those contacts.
Thanks again for great software and service.
73 Dave G1BTV 

Lawrence (VA3IQ)

Hi all,

Bringing this request back to the top and adding my vote for for transverter offset.  I am working on building a VHF rover station -- being able to program in the transverter offset would be fantastic.

I am looking at adding 222 MHz and 902 MHz transverters so that I can cover 5 bands while roving.

On less thing to remember to do.  I am trying to eliminate as many "senior" moments as I can when roving.  The other logging programs are too complicated for my style when roving (KISS).  Scott's user interface is pretty much no fault.

Thanks for considering it Scott!

73 de VA3IQ

Lawrence

Scott Davis

Thanks for the reminder Lawrence.  Would you and all others interested in the transverter offset feature please try AC Log 7.0.3.10 Beta.  

https://www.n3fjp.com/beta.html

Just enter your offset here:

Capture.PNG

Please let me know how you make out!

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Sun, Feb 6, 2022 2:48 pm

Hi all,

Bringing this request back to the top and adding my vote for for transverter offset.  I am working on building a VHF rover station -- being able to program in the transverter offset would be fantastic.

I am looking at adding 222 MHz and 902 MHz transverters so that I can cover 5 bands while roving.

On less thing to remember to do.  I am trying to eliminate as many "senior" moments as I can when roving.  The other logging programs are too complicated for my style when roving (KISS).  Scott's user interface is pretty much no fault.

Thanks for considering it Scott!

73 de VA3IQ

Lawrence

Lawrence (VA3IQ)

Hi Scott,

***sorry for the repost, correct screen captures this time***

Thanks for prototyping this!

My test setup:
ICOM IC-706MkIIG
USB CAT Control via CI-V

10M Exciter for 222 MHz Transverter

So to make sure that the test setup was working correctly I verified CAT control using the last version of N3FJP’s VHF Contest Software.  As show below, control of the IC-706MkIIG functions flawlessly.

Then I used the beta version of AC.  I was not able to establish control of the 706 with and without the transverter offset set.  See below:

Not sure what broke with the CAT control software on the 706.

73 de VA3IQ

Lawrence

Scott Davis

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks forgiving it a test.  The images you inserted are appearing very small here, so it is hard to tell, but they both appear to be returning values.  Also, don't forget that the 706 and 706 MK II G have different rig IDs.  With the only difference being the rig ID, both rigs should work.  My 7610 is working fine as well. 

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/righelp.html

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Feb 8, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi Scott,

My test setup:
ICOM IC-706MkIIG
USB CAT Control via CI-V
Ic-706 is a 10M Exciter for 222 MHz Transverter

So to make sure that the test setup was working correctly I verified CAT control using the last version of N3FJP’s VHF Contest Software.  As show below, control of the IC-706MkIIG functions flawlessly.

Then I used the beta version of AC.  I was not able to establish control of the 706 (using both ICOM and ICOM2) with and without the transverter offset set.  See below.

The problem could be between the keyboard and the chair, but I think I did everything correctly.

73 de VA3IQ
Lawrence

Scott Davis

Hi Lawrence,

I have double checked and verified that both the Icom and Icom2 selections are interfacing with the rig properly and the transverter adjustment is being added to the frequency value returned from the rig.  The only coding change for each rig selection in this beta is the added value of the transverter offset.  No other rig interface code was changed.  

The same code snippet is called for either Icom or Icom2.  Aside from the rig ID being correct, the Icom setting requires your CI-V Echo Back to be enabled, while the Icom2 selection does not require the Echo Back.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Feb 8, 2022 12:45 pm

Hi Scott,

***sorry for the repost, correct screen captures this time***

My test setup:
ICOM IC-706MkIIG
USB CAT Control via CI-V

10M Exciter for 222 MHz Transverter

Then I used the beta version of AC.  I was not able to establish control of the 706 with and without the transverter offset set.  See below:

73 de VA3IQ
Lawrence

Lawrence (VA3IQ)

Scott,

It was as I expected -- the problem was between the keyboard and the chair (wrong baud rate).

It works nicely, the transverter value is added to all returned frequency values from the transceiver.

I will work with it and provide some more feedback.

73 de VA3IQ

Lawrence

Scott Davis

Super Lawrence, thanks for the great report!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Feb 8, 2022 3:11 pm

Scott,

It was as I expected -- the problem was between the keyboard and the chair (wrong baud rate).

It works nicely, the transverter value is added to all returned frequency values from the transceiver.

I will work with it and provide some more feedback.

73 de VA3IQ

Lawrence

Lawrence (VA3IQ)

Scott,

Some observations (and perhaps future enhancements):

1) I use my 706 as an exciter for my transverters (IF is 10m) and for 6m/2m/70cm during the same contest.  Would it be possible to select the band that the transverter offset gets added, rather than all?
2) Also I change frequencies on the 706 by typing the new freq in the call window.  Would it be possible to enter the transverter output frequency, and then have CAT control change the transmitter freq  less the transverter offset?

I know how busy you are, so if you put these in your list of things to do that would be great!

Thanks for the great support and products.

73 de VA3IQ

Lawrence

Scott Davis

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions Lawrence.  That adds a lot of user configuration complexity, I'm not sure how we would present that in an intuitive way to users and I see even more support questions coming if we were to head in that direction, but we will give it some thought for the future.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Thu, Feb 10, 2022 12:34 pm

Scott,

Some observations (and perhaps future enhancements):

1) I use my 706 as an exciter for my transverters (IF is 10m) and for 6m/2m/70cm during the same contest.  Would it be possible to select the band that the transverter offset gets added, rather than all?
2) Also I change frequencies on the 706 by typing the new freq in the call window.  Would it be possible to enter the transverter output frequency, and then have CAT control change the transmitter freq  less the transverter offset?

I know how busy you are, so if you put these in your list of things to do that would be great!

Thanks for the great support and products.

73 de VA3IQ

Lawrence