Need Clarification

Tom Job

Hi Scott and all...

I'm primed and ready for FD 2020.  I am planning to use FT8 with WSJT-X, JTAlert and N3FJP FD Logger. It's all setup, tested and ready to roll.  I used the same setup (except for the log) fr the June VHF Contest and it was flawless!  Thanks Scott for the ease of operation.

With the rule changes for 2020, I expecting the bands on FT8 are going to be jammed from wall-to-wall!!  I was thinking of switching between FT4 and FT8 when things get too crazy on one or the other, So, I did a small test to make sure this is possible, to avoid surprises during the contest!  I hate those :)

• I manually logged VE3ABC 1D/ONS on WSJT-X using FT8/20m as a test call and it logged in N3FJP as expected.
  • Then I switched WSJT-X to FT4, same band and tried to VE3ABC but the logger reported it as a dupe!?
I reread the rules for FD and it says you can work any station once per band/per mode.  So, are FT8 and FT4 considerred as the same mode (digital) for FD?  If so, that kinda adds a wrinkle to my plan.  Or am I missing a step?

Thanks for any input.....so you all in the pile-up!!

Tom VE3II

Scott Davis

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your e-mail.  All non phone and CW (digital modes) fall under the DIG mode selection.  Once you work a station on one digital mode, you can't work them again on another one.

6.3. Field Day contacts are allowed using Phone, CW and Digital (non-CW) modes. Stations can be worked once per band per mode under this rule. 

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 23, 2020 9:33 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Need Clarification

Hi Scott and all...

I'm primed and ready for FD 2020.  I am planning to use FT8 with WSJT-X, JTAlert and N3FJP FD Logger. It's all setup, tested and ready to roll.  I used the same setup (except for the log) fr the June VHF Contest and it was flawless!  Thanks Scott for the ease of operation.

With the rule changes for 2020, I expecting the bands on FT8 are going to be jammed from wall-to-wall!!  I was thinking of switching between FT4 and FT8 when things get too crazy on one or the other, So, I did a small test to make sure this is possible, to avoid surprises during the contest!  I hate those :)

• I manually logged VE3ABC 1D/ONS on WSJT-X using FT8/20m as a test call and it logged in N3FJP as expected.
  • Then I switched WSJT-X to FT4, same band and tried to VE3ABC but the logger reported it as a dupe!?
I reread the rules for FD and it says you can work any station once per band/per mode.  So, are FT8 and FT4 considerred as the same mode (digital) for FD?  If so, that kinda adds a wrinkle to my plan.  Or am I missing a step?

Thanks for any input.....so you all in the pile-up!!

Tom VE3II

Tom Job

Hi Scott…

Ok, that’s what I figured.  Oh well, I’ll just have to be a little careful when I switch between the two FT modes to avoid the dupes.  

73….Tom

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

AI3KS

Tom,

You may want to look here. This should allow WSJT-X to do most of the dupe checking.

https://www.rttycontesting.com/ft-roundup/preparation/

Steve, AI3KS

On 20/06/23 10:03, Tom Job wrote:

Hi Scott…

Ok, that’s what I figured.  Oh well, I’ll just have to be a little careful when I switch between the two FT modes to avoid the dupes.  

73….Tom

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Tom Job

OK, thanks Steve.  I’ll give it a read.

73…Tom

Avast logo

www.avast.com