Rig Control Failure FD Mode with WSJT-X, N3FJP and JTAlert

Michael WA7SKG

Getting ready for Field Day. I have the latest versions of WSJT-X
(2.2.1), JTAlert (2.16.8), and N3FJP Field Day Log (6.3).

My understanding is to start N3FJP > WSJT-X > JTAlert in that order. I have followed the various tutorials and instructions for setting these up. When I start WSJT-X, I get a "Rig Control Error" box asking to set up the rig parameters (IC-7300). These are all correct. Running WSJT-X by itself is no problem. Only when N3FJP is running do I have an issue.

I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions as to what?

Michael WA7SKG

"Any day you do not learn one new thing is a wasted day."

Scott Davis

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your e-mail.  If you are using rig interface from my software, to only have N3FJP Software respond to mode updates sent from the connected program, click Settings > Rig Interface. Under the Mode By options, select Don't Use. Also, check the check box that says "Don't send mode change with frequency".

If you will have WSJT connected for rig interface, from the rig list in N3FJP, select None.

Getting ready for Field Day. I have the latest versions of WSJT-X
(2.2.1), JTAlert (2.16.8), and N3FJP Field Day Log (6.3).

My understanding is to start N3FJP > WSJT-X > JTAlert in that order. I
have followed the various tutorials and instructions for setting these
up. When I start WSJT-X, I get a "Rig Control Error" box asking to set
up the rig parameters (IC-7300). These are all correct. Running WSJT-X
by itself is no problem. Only when N3FJP is running do I have an issue.

I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions as to what?

Michael WA7SKG

"Any day you do not learn one new thing is a wasted day."

Michael WA7SKG

Thanks, Scott. Here's where I run into additional confusion. Most of the time, I will be running phone. I will occasionally fire up WSJT-X and do some FT8 and I may also use fldigi for PSK31. Normally, I do not have the digital apps running when I am not using them.

I can start and stop fldigi without issue. It is only WSJT-X I have problems with.

Michael WA7SKG

Scott Davis via groups.io wrote on 6/21/20 4:58 PM:

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your e-mail.  If you are using rig interface from my software, to only have N3FJP Software respond to mode updates sent from the connected program, click Settings > Rig Interface. Under the Mode By options, select Don't Use. Also, check the check box that says "Don't send mode change with frequency".
If you will have WSJT connected for rig interface, from the rig list in N3FJP, select None.
_http://www.n3fjp.com_ <http://www.n3fjp.com/>
/Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997./
1 Peter 3 vs 15: /Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give _the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the hope that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>_. But do this with gentleness and respect/...
Getting ready for Field Day. I have the latest versions of WSJT-X
(2.2.1), JTAlert (2.16.8), and N3FJP Field Day Log (6.3).
My understanding is to start N3FJP > WSJT-X > JTAlert in that order. I
have followed the various tutorials and instructions for setting these
up. When I start WSJT-X, I get a "Rig Control Error" box asking to set
up the rig parameters (IC-7300). These are all correct. Running WSJT-X
by itself is no problem. Only when N3FJP is running do I have an issue.
I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions as to what?
Michael WA7SKG
"Any day you do not learn one new thing is a wasted day."

KB5WCK

Not sure if you can but if you get FLRIG running and then select that in WSJTX and fldigi you will be fine.

Thanks, Scott. Here's where I run into additional confusion. Most of the
time, I will be running phone. I will occasionally fire up WSJT-X and do
some FT8 and I may also use fldigi for PSK31. Normally, I do not have
the digital apps running when I am not using them.

I can start and stop fldigi without issue. It is only WSJT-X I have
problems with.

Michael WA7SKG

Scott Davis via groups.io wrote on 6/21/20 4:58 PM:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for your e-mail.  If you are using rig interface from my
> software, to only have N3FJP Software respond to mode updates sent from
> the connected program, click Settings > Rig Interface. Under the Mode By
> options, select Don't Use. Also, check the check box that says "Don't
> send mode change with frequency".
>
> If you will have WSJT connected for rig interface, from the rig list in
> N3FJP, select None.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> 73, Scott
> N3FJP
> _http://www.n3fjp.com_ <http://www.n3fjp.com/>
>
> /Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
> software since 1997./
>
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: /Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who
> asks you to give _the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the
> hope that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>_. But do this with
> gentleness and respect/...

Larry Banks

Hi Michael,

I start JTAlert and then have it start WSJT-X and then whichever N3FJP program I am using at the time, in that order. WSJT-X does the rig interfacing.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Getting ready for Field Day. I have the latest versions of WSJT-X
(2.2.1), JTAlert (2.16.8), and N3FJP Field Day Log (6.3).

My understanding is to start N3FJP > WSJT-X > JTAlert in that order. I
have followed the various tutorials and instructions for setting these
up. When I start WSJT-X, I get a "Rig Control Error" box asking to set
up the rig parameters (IC-7300). These are all correct. Running WSJT-X
by itself is no problem. Only when N3FJP is running do I have an issue.

I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions as to what?

Michael WA7SKG

"Any day you do not learn one new thing is a wasted day."

KB5WCK

Not sure if I was clear. Once you get FLRig running select that as your radio in wsjtx and fldigi

Getting ready for Field Day. I have the latest versions of WSJT-X
(2.2.1), JTAlert (2.16.8), and N3FJP Field Day Log (6.3).

My understanding is to start N3FJP > WSJT-X > JTAlert in that order. I
have followed the various tutorials and instructions for setting these
up. When I start WSJT-X, I get a "Rig Control Error" box asking to set
up the rig parameters (IC-7300). These are all correct. Running WSJT-X
by itself is no problem. Only when N3FJP is running do I have an issue.

I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions as to what?

Michael WA7SKG

"Any day you do not learn one new thing is a wasted day."

Michael WA7SKG

When I try to start JTAlert first, I get a box that says "WSJT-X must be running before JTAlert can continue." Also, all instructions regarding N3FJP say it must be running before the digital program is started for the logging API to work.

Michael WA7SKG

Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 19:47
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Getting ready for Field Day. I have the latest versions of WSJT-X
(2.2.1), JTAlert (2.16.8), and N3FJP Field Day Log (6.3).
My understanding is to start N3FJP > WSJT-X > JTAlert in that order. I
have followed the various tutorials and instructions for setting these
up. When I start WSJT-X, I get a "Rig Control Error" box asking to set
up the rig parameters (IC-7300). These are all correct. Running WSJT-X
by itself is no problem. Only when N3FJP is running do I have an issue.
I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions as to what?

Larry Banks

Hi Michael,

You need to set JTAlert to automatically start WSJT-X and then N3FJP, with appropriate delays. In JTAlert: Settings >> Manage Settings >> Applications >> Auto-start. I use 1500 ms for WSJT-X and 15000 ms for whichever N3FJP program I am using at the time. WSJT-X does the rig interface and JTAlert does the logging to N3FJP.

Larry / W1DYJ

Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 19:47
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

Getting ready for Field Day. I have the latest versions of WSJT-X
(2.2.1), JTAlert (2.16.8), and N3FJP Field Day Log (6.3).

My understanding is to start N3FJP > WSJT-X > JTAlert in that order. I
have followed the various tutorials and instructions for setting these
up. When I start WSJT-X, I get a "Rig Control Error" box asking to set
up the rig parameters (IC-7300). These are all correct. Running WSJT-X
by itself is no problem. Only when N3FJP is running do I have an issue.

I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions as to what?

Michael WA7SKG

So I installed flrig v 1.3.50. I fire it up and tell the applications to use flrig for radio type. The problem now is, flrig won't run longer than about 2 minutes before it spontaneously shuts down. No clue, no error, just poof, it's gone. I can't keep it running long enough to see if the other apps are actually working through it.

Michael WA7SKG

Get Outlook for iOS <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>