Topics

dumping a copy of old file

kb9lgs

Is there a convient way to read an old log file. I upgraded to the new one, but there was a
loss of a computer and its data. And the backups were not properly working. So I lost
some of my records. I just found an old file that should have those records. Is there a
convient way to dump out a copy of them and see what I have. That is other than
uninstalling the new version then installing the old version and then dumping the data and
then uninstalling the old version and installing the new version?

--
Ray Todd Stevens Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant Stevens Services
raytodd@kiva.net
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd (812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
Kids do what we do not what we say

Scott Davis

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Just click File > Open, navigate to the file you wish to view and select it.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 25, 2020 5:33 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file

Is there a convient way to read an old log file.  I upgraded to the new one, but there was a
loss of a computer and its data.  And the backups were not properly working.  So I lost
some of my records.  I just found an old file that should have those records.  Is there a
convient way to dump out a copy of them and see what I have.  That is other than
uninstalling the new version then installing the old version and then dumping the data and

--
Ray Todd Stevens    Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant      Stevens Services                                           
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

kb9lgs

On 25 May 2020 at 21:42, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

This is from an old copy, and it has a .bak extention?

Hi Ray,
Thanks for your e-mail.  Just click File > Open, navigate to the file you wish to view and select it.
Enjoy!

73, ScottN3FJPhttp://www.n3fjp.com
Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Mon, May 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Is there a convient way to read an old log file.  I upgraded to the new one, but there was a
loss of a computer and its data.  And the backups were not properly working.  So I lost
some of my records.  I just found an old file that should have those records.  Is there a
convient way to dump out a copy of them and see what I have.  That is other than

--
raytodd@kiva.net
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
intelligence for long enough to get money from it.
-- Stephen Leacock.

Mel Marcus

I saw where you could just print out an log file

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mon, May 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Is there a convient way to read an old log file. I upgraded to the new one, but there was a
loss of a computer and its data. And the backups were not properly working. So I lost
some of my records. I just found an old file that should have those records. Is there a

--
raytodd@...
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

Jim Shorney

What exactly do you mean by "the backups were not properly working"? They should be just fine unless you were sending them to a non-existent folder or a drive that was full, in which case I would think that you would have seen an error message.

-Jim
NU0C

On Mon, 25 May 2020 17:33:41 -0400
"kb9lgs" <raytodd@kiva.net> wrote:

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

K4GM-George

If you use LOTW, download from there.  The important info will be there.

K4GM--George

On 5/25/2020 5:33 PM, kb9lgs wrote:

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

Scott Davis

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your follow up and clarification.  You will need AC Log 3.4 to open that legacy backup file.  This FAQ will get you going:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q45

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, May 25, 2020 6:34 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file

On 25 May 2020 at 21:42, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

This is from an old copy, and it has a .bak extention?

> Hi Ray,
> Thanks for your e-mail.  Just click File > Open, navigate to the file you wish to view and select it.
> Enjoy!
>
> 73, ScottN3FJPhttp://www.n3fjp.com
> Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: kb9lgs <raytodd@...>
> To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
> Sent: Mon, May 25, 2020 5:33 pm
> Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file
>
>
> Is there a convient way to read an old log file.  I upgraded to the new one, but there was a
> loss of a computer and its data.  And the backups were not properly working.  So I lost
> some of my records.  I just found an old file that should have those records.  Is there a
> convient way to dump out a copy of them and see what I have.  That is other than
> uninstalling the new version then installing the old version and then dumping the data and
> then uninstalling the old version and installing the new version?
>
> --
> Ray Todd Stevens    Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
> Senior Consultant      Stevens Services                                           
> raytodd@...
> 308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
> Bedford, IN 47421
>
> Thought for the day:
>     Kids do what we do not what we say
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> https://www.avg.com
>

--
raytodd@...
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
    intelligence for long enough to get money from it.
          -- Stephen Leacock.

Weldon Wheat

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/25/20 6:55 PM (GMT-06:00)

What exactly do you mean by "the backups were not properly working"? They should be just fine unless you were sending them to a non-existent folder or a drive that was full, in which case I would think that you would have seen an error message.

-Jim
NU0C

On Mon, 25 May 2020 17:33:41 -0400
"kb9lgs" <raytodd@...> wrote:

> Is there a convient way to read an old log file.   I upgraded to the new one, but there was a
> loss of a computer and its data.   And the backups were not properly working.   So I lost
> some of my records.   I just found an old file that should have those records.   Is there a
> convient way to dump out a copy of them and see what I have.   That is other than
> uninstalling the new version then installing the old version and then dumping the data and
> then uninstalling the old version and installing the new version?
>
> --
> Ray Todd Stevens     Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
> Senior Consultant      Stevens Services                                            
> raytodd@...
> 308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
> Bedford, IN 47421
>
> Thought for the day:
>     Kids do what we do not what we say
>
>
>
>
>

kb9lgs

On 25 May 2020 at 21:38, K4GM-George wrote:

Got that to happen for the confirmed QSOs already. But can't seem to find a way to do
unconfirmed ones.

If you use LOTW, download from there.  The important info will be there.

K4GM--George

On 5/25/2020 5:33 PM, kb9lgs wrote:

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

--

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
Give a man a fish and he can eat today
Teach a man to fish and he can eat forever
Teach a man to teach and his whole village can eat forever

Scott Davis

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your follow up.  Under Download, Choose All Data instead of All Confirmed.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 11:17 am

On 25 May 2020 at 21:38, K4GM-George wrote:

Got that to happen for the confirmed QSOs already.    But can't seem to find a way to do
unconfirmed ones.

> If you use LOTW, download from there.  The important info will be there.
>
> K4GM--George
>
> On 5/25/2020 5:33 PM, kb9lgs wrote:
> > Is there a convient way to read an old log file.  I upgraded to the new one, but there was a
> > loss of a computer and its data.  And the backups were not properly working.  So I lost
> > some of my records.  I just found an old file that should have those records.  Is there a
> > convient way to dump out a copy of them and see what I have.  That is other than
> > uninstalling the new version then installing the old version and then dumping the data and
> > then uninstalling the old version and installing the new version?
> >
> > --
> > Ray Todd Stevens    Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
> > Senior Consultant      Stevens Services
> > raytodd@...
> > 308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
> > Bedford, IN 47421
> >
> > Thought for the day:
> >      Kids do what we do not what we say
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>

--
raytodd@...
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

kb9lgs

On 26 May 2020 at 9:54, Weldon Wheat wrote:

OK not as specific as I should be. The main file for the old version got destroyed. And the
backup system had somehow marked it as a system file that didn't need to be backed up.
So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program. But
you also hit on what I found.

As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good. After all I had no copies of the main log
file anymore. I had just gone on to try and start again. Grabbed some saved source
material that I had dumped into the log over the years. And started over with the new
version. I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains. Those
had been working and working well so it looks like I have a bunch of the old data in .BAK
files. I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there. But this was from an old version
from back before the major rewrite. As the web site says the file formats between the two
are not the same.

So trying to see if I can find out how to take the old files from the old version and read them.
Then put them in a format I can import into the log program.

And yes working on making sure my new external backup is actually backing up things.

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
Bagpipes (n): an octopus wearing a kilt.

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

This situation has been very difficult to follow.  Let me ask you.  Had these files ever been uploaded to LoTW?

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 10:49 AM kb9lgs <raytodd@...> wrote:

OK not as specific as I should be.   The main file for the old version got destroyed.   And the
backup system had somehow marked it as a system file that didn't need to be backed up.   
So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program.   But

As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good.   After all I had no copies of the main log
file anymore.   I had just gone on to try and start again.   Grabbed some saved source
material that I had dumped into the log over the years.   And started over with the new
version.   I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains.   Those
had been working and working well so it looks like I have a bunch of the old data in .BAK
files.   I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there.   But this was from an old version
from back before the major rewrite.   As the web site says the file formats between the two
are not the same.   

So trying to see if I can find out how to take the old files from the old version and read them.   

And yes working on making sure my new external backup is actually backing up things.   

--
Ray Todd Stevens     Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
raytodd@...
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

--
Lou WA5LOU

Jim Shorney

You didn't have the internal auto-backup of the "new" version turned on? I should think that would be a default but it has been so long since I installed I don't recall. I changed mine not long back write the backups to my Dropbox folder. Easy-peasy.

-Jim
NU0C

On Tue, 26 May 2020 11:49:36 -0400

OK not as specific as I should be. The main file for the old version got destroyed. And the
So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program. But

As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good. After all I had no copies of the main log
file anymore. I had just gone on to try and start again. Grabbed some saved source
material that I had dumped into the log over the years. And started over with the new
version. I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains. Those
files. I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there. But this was from an old version
from back before the major rewrite. As the web site says the file formats between the two
are not the same.

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

Scott Davis

Hi Ray,

You may have missed my previous reply.  This addresses that:

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Cc: ny4o.ham@...
Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 11:49 am

OK not as specific as I should be.  The main file for the old version got destroyed.  And the
So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program.  But

As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good.  After all I had no copies of the main log
file anymore.  I had just gone on to try and start again.  Grabbed some saved source
material that I had dumped into the log over the years.  And started over with the new
version.  I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains.  Those
files.  I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there.  But this was from an old version
from back before the major rewrite.  As the web site says the file formats between the two
are not the same. 

--
raytodd@...
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

kb9lgs

On 26 May 2020 at 11:07, Jim Shorney wrote:

But that backs up to the same drive on the same computer. That is the problem I lost the
whole drive. Then only have backups of the backup files and apparently not the main files.
But that is on my off site backups.

You didn't have the internal auto-backup of the "new" version turned on? I should think that would be a default but it has been so long since I installed I don't recall. I changed mine not long back write the backups to my Dropbox folder. Easy-peasy.

-Jim
NU0C

are not the same.

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

--

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

kb9lgs

On 26 May 2020 at 16:30, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

The problem is that to install the old version I first apparently have to completely uninstall and
delete the new stuff. Kind of leary to do that.

Hi Ray,
https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers/message/41867
Enjoy!

Cc: ny4o.ham@gmail.com

OK not as specific as I should be.  The main file for the old version got destroyed.  And the
So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program.  But

As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good.  After all I had no copies of the main log
file anymore.  I had just gone on to try and start again.  Grabbed some saved source
material that I had dumped into the log over the years.  And started over with the new
version.  I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains.  Those
files.  I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there.  But this was from an old version
from back before the major rewrite.  As the web site says the file formats between the two
are not the same. 

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

--

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
Book (n): a utensil used to pass time while waiting
for the TV repairman.

Scott Davis

Hi Ray,

No, don't uninstall your current version.  You can also install 3.4.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 2:38 pm

The problem is that to install the old version I first apparently have to completely uninstall and
delete the new stuff.  Kind of leary to do that.

> Hi Ray,
> You may have missed my previous reply.  This addresses that:
> https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers/message/41867
> Enjoy!
>
> Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
>
> Cc: ny4o.ham@...
> Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 11:49 am
> Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file
>
> On 26 May 2020 at 9:54, Weldon Wheat wrote:
>
> OK not as specific as I should be.  The main file for the old version got destroyed.  And the
> backup system had somehow marked it as a system file that didn't need to be backed up. 
> So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program.  But
> you also hit on what I found.   
>
> As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good.  After all I had no copies of the main log
> file anymore.  I had just gone on to try and start again.  Grabbed some saved source
> material that I had dumped into the log over the years.  And started over with the new
> version.  I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains.  Those
> had been working and working well so it looks like I have a bunch of the old data in .BAK
> files.  I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there.  But this was from an old version
> from back before the major rewrite.  As the web site says the file formats between the two
> are not the same. 
>
> So trying to see if I can find out how to take the old files from the old version and read them. 
> Then put them in a format I can import into the log program. 
>
> And yes working on making sure my new external backup is actually backing up things. 
>
>
> --
> raytodd@...
> 308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
> Bedford, IN 47421
>
> Thought for the day:
>     Bagpipes (n): an octopus wearing a kilt.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>

--
raytodd@...
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    for the TV repairman.

Jim Shorney

Ah, that was a question that I didn't see answered. If you lost the entire drive, with no files left, then you are right. If the drive is still functional at all it is possible that the file(s) could be recovered. If the drive is electrically dead recovery is out of the reach of mere mortals although there are companies that do it (if you have to ask you can't afford it).

I have mine set up to write backups to my Dropbox folder which is linked to (free) cloud storage. Not only is the that particular backup off-site it is available to my anywhere I go that has internet access.

-Jim
NU0C

On Tue, 26 May 2020 14:38:07 -0400

On 26 May 2020 at 11:07, Jim Shorney wrote:

But that backs up to the same drive on the same computer. That is the problem I lost the
whole drive. Then only have backups of the backup files and apparently not the main files.
But that is on my off site backups.

-Jim
NU0C

are not the same.

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

--

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

kb9lgs

On 26 May 2020 at 18:50, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

The installer seems to different with you. It tells me I have a version installed.

Hi Ray,
No, don't uninstall your current version.  You can also install 3.4.
Enjoy!

Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 2:38 pm

delete the new stuff.  Kind of leary to do that.

Hi Ray,
https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers/message/41867
Enjoy!

Cc: ny4o.ham@gmail.com

are not the same. 

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:

--

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    for the TV repairman.

--

--
raytodd@kiva.net
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
for the TV repairman.

Scott Davis

Hi Ray, 

AC Log 3.4 and earlier can coexist on the same PC with AC Log 4.0 and later.  If you have a 3X or earlier version, you will have to uninstall that first.  On the other hand, just use your existing 3X version to open the .bak file.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 3:00 pm

On 26 May 2020 at 18:50, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

The installer seems to different with you.  It tells me I have a version installed.

> Hi Ray,
> No, don't uninstall your current version.  You can also install 3.4.
> Enjoy!
>
>
> Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 2:38 pm
> Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file
>
> On 26 May 2020 at 16:30, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
>
> The problem is that to install the old version I first apparently have to completely uninstall and
> delete the new stuff.  Kind of leary to do that.
>
> > Hi Ray,
> > You may have missed my previous reply.  This addresses that:
> > https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers/message/41867
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > 73, ScottN3FJPhttp://www.n3fjp.com
> > Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
> > 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: kb9lgs <raytodd@...>
> > To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
> > Cc: ny4o.ham@...
> > Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 11:49 am
> > Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file
> >
> > On 26 May 2020 at 9:54, Weldon Wheat wrote:
> >
> > OK not as specific as I should be.  The main file for the old version got destroyed.  And the
> > backup system had somehow marked it as a system file that didn't need to be backed up. 
> > So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program.  But
> > you also hit on what I found.   
> >
> > As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good.  After all I had no copies of the main log
> > file anymore.  I had just gone on to try and start again.  Grabbed some saved source
> > material that I had dumped into the log over the years.  And started over with the new
> > version.  I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains.  Those
> > had been working and working well so it looks like I have a bunch of the old data in .BAK
> > files.  I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there.  But this was from an old version
> > from back before the major rewrite.  As the web site says the file formats between the two
> > are not the same. 
> >
> > So trying to see if I can find out how to take the old files from the old version and read them. 
> > Then put them in a format I can import into the log program. 
> >
> > And yes working on making sure my new external backup is actually backing up things. 
> >
> >
> > --
> > Ray Todd Stevens    Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
> > Senior Consultant      Stevens Services                                           
> > raytodd@...
> > 308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
> > Bedford, IN 47421
> >
> > Thought for the day:
> >     Bagpipes (n): an octopus wearing a kilt.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> > https://www.avg.com
> >
>
>
> --
> raytodd@...
> Bedford, IN 47421
>
> Thought for the day:
>     Book (n): a utensil used to pass time while waiting
>     for the TV repairman.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>

--
raytodd@...
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    for the TV repairman.