FL QSO

NT4K JC

Scott…

I have installed the current version of the FL QSO software.  I notice there is a column  “County R” but it does not update when a call is entered.  This software unlike my Contact Log does not have the “CallBook” tab to specify a path to fetch this info.  I’m sure this is not required for the FL QSO Party but I hate to miss a county I have not yet worked.  Can the software populate this field?

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

Scott Davis

Hi JC,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The county will be sent to you during the contest exchange.  Most contest sponsors believe it unethical for contest software to assist the exchange by using an external callbook lookup source.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Apr 16, 2020 6:31 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] FL QSO

Scott…

I have installed the current version of the FL QSO software.  I notice there is a column  “County R” but it does not update when a call is entered.  This software unlike my Contact Log does not have the “CallBook” tab to specify a path to fetch this info.  I’m sure this is not required for the FL QSO Party but I hate to miss a county I have not yet worked.  Can the software populate this field?

Thanks
73 NT4K JC

NT4K JC

Thanks Scott… 

Sorry, I didn’t mention I will be participating as a Florida station – you’re correct - Florida stations announce their county but receive only the state ID from the non-FL station during the exchange.  When contacting another FL station the “FL Cnty” field in the software opens so I can manually enter the FL county.  That all works great!  The county info I would like to capture is from the state other than FL.  I don’t see any opportunity to enter that info even if it’s offered by the station outside FL.  I would like to capture that information if possible in case I run across a county not in my log.  It’s not a problem but would be a nice feature in a future release.

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io [mailto:N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 6:56 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] FL QSO

Hi JC,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The county will be sent to you during the contest exchange.  Most contest sponsors believe it unethical for contest software to assist the exchange by using an external callbook lookup source.

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Scott…

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

Mel Marcus

Jim

It is easier than you think. after you import the adif file back into AClog then you can do this
edit>  field determined by call > whole log
this will fill all the counties 

I did it and it works

Mel
NE9A

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, April 16, 2020 10:44 pm
To: <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>

Thanks Scott… 

Sorry, I didn’t mention I will be participating as a Florida station – you’re correct - Florida stations announce their county but receive only the state ID from the non-FL station during the exchange.  When contacting another FL station the “FL Cnty” field in the software opens so I can manually enter the FL county.  That all works great!  The county info I would like to capture is from the state other than FL.  I don’t see any opportunity to enter that info even if it’s offered by the station outside FL.  I would like to capture that information if possible in case I run across a county not in my log.  It’s not a problem but would be a nice feature in a future release.

Thanks
73 NT4K JC

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io [mailto:N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io

Hi JC,

Enjoy!
73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott…

Thanks
73 NT4K JC

NT4K JC

Thanks Mel…

Tested…  Worked perfect!  Thank you very much.  I can go to sleep now.

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io [mailto:N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mel Marcus
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 1:14 AM

Jim

It is easier than you think. after you import the adif file back into AClog then you can do this

I did it and it works

Mel

NE9A

Thanks Scott… 

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

Hi JC,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott…

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

Mike Olbrisch

Well, that only works if the station you are filling the blanks for was actually at the location shown on QRZ.  When I operate portable (and I do that a lot), I am careful to match my LoTW upload to the country-state-county-grid-CQ zone-ITU zone I am at.  And most people who work me know I am portable.

I hate to question this because I think it is going to have to be Scott who answers.  But what happens in this situation?  For example, I operate from a mountaintop at the McDonald Observatory.   My position: Country = USA, State = TEXAS, County = JEFF DAVIS, Grid = DM70xq.  That is what I upload to LoTW.

Someone who worked me just accepted the QRZ data pushed down to them about KD5KC.  That is: Country = USA, State = TEXAS, County = EL PASO, Grid = DM61rt. 

When the confirmed QSO is later downloaded from LoTW, and my portable location is what I uploaded, does AC-Log change the county from EL PASO to JEFF DAVIS, and the grid from DM61rt to DM70xq?  Or does it leave the data pushed from QRZ?

I am very meticulous to get it right in my LoTW uploads.  That’s why I have nearly 100 portable locations registered in LoTW.  I am also very meticulous to get it right when I work another portable station too.

I wonder if there is an easy way to test this?

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mel Marcus
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 23:14 PM

Jim

I did it and it works

Mel

NE9A

Thanks Scott… 

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

Hi JC,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott…

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

Scott Davis

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts, but that is a question beyond the logging software.  AC Log only receives the data QRZ sends it.  You would need to discuss any data verification processes with the QRZ folks.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am

Well, that only works if the station you are filling the blanks for was actually at the location shown on QRZ.  When I operate portable (and I do that a lot), I am careful to match my LoTW upload to the country-state-county-grid-CQ zone-ITU zone I am at.  And most people who work me know I am portable.

I hate to question this because I think it is going to have to be Scott who answers.  But what happens in this situation?  For example, I operate from a mountaintop at the McDonald Observatory.   My position: Country = USA, State = TEXAS, County = JEFF DAVIS, Grid = DM70xq.  That is what I upload to LoTW.

Someone who worked me just accepted the QRZ data pushed down to them about KD5KC.  That is: Country = USA, State = TEXAS, County = EL PASO, Grid = DM61rt. 

When the confirmed QSO is later downloaded from LoTW, and my portable location is what I uploaded, does AC-Log change the county from EL PASO to JEFF DAVIS, and the grid from DM61rt to DM70xq?  Or does it leave the data pushed from QRZ?

I am very meticulous to get it right in my LoTW uploads.  That’s why I have nearly 100 portable locations registered in LoTW.  I am also very meticulous to get it right when I work another portable station too.

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC
El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mel Marcus

Jim

I did it and it works

Mel
NE9A
Thanks Scott… 

Thanks
73 NT4K JC

Hi JC,

Enjoy!
73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott…

Thanks
73 NT4K JC

AI3KS

Scott, Mike,

I know this is getting off topic for the FL QSO party, but perhaps Mike's concern is addressed by the "Overwrite existing data" option on the LOTW Manager?

I believe that the LOTW adi file contains State, County, grid, CQ zone and ITU Zone and would assume those fields are based on the information uploaded by the other station.

Would checking that box then correct any invalid data received from the callbook lookup?

Steve, AI3KS

Mike Olbrisch

Very good Scott.  QRZ pretty much accepts the data that the license has from the FCC, unless you are a special event or something.   If the LoTW data does not over-write the data QRZ placed in AC-Log, then it is important for the person doing the logging to get it right.  Well, maybe not “important”, some may not care.   And it doesn’t change anything for me here, mostly I get it right when I work them.

Thanks for the answer.  Wishing you a SUPER DAY!

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 8:37 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts, but that is a question beyond the logging software.  AC Log only receives the data QRZ sends it.  You would need to discuss any data verification processes with the QRZ folks.

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

Jim

I did it and it works

Mel

NE9A

Thanks Scott… 

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

Hi JC,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott…

Thanks

73 NT4K JC

John Schroeder

Hello Group:
Wondering if there is a way to have the grid square entered automatically? 
TIA ... John ... KB9PBM ...

Mike Olbrisch

YES – there is.  Subscribe the QRZ XML data.  Assuming the station you are working is actually at the location listed in QRZ, that will get the grid entered for you.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Schroeder via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 9:07 AM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io

Hello Group:

Wondering if there is a way to have the grid square entered automatically? 

TIA ... John ... KB9PBM ...