ACLog Software from N3FJP not interfacing with a Kenwood TS-890S

Rich Kuster

I downloaded the ACLog Software from N3FJP for the free 45 day trial this morning.  But, I can not get it to connect & interface with a TS-890S using the Kenwood or Kenwood2 options in the ACLog select rig menu when on any of the COM3, 4, or 5 options that are listed there.  Also, when in the Settings/Rig Interface Setup 2.8 option, every time I try to change something an error msg "Object reference not set to am instance of an object." keeps appearing along with other error msg boxes saying something isn't connected, or is busy, etc..

I do have the Kenwood ARCP-890 remote control program working on same PC running W10.  The connection to the TS-890 is via USB-C COM5 with the virtual com driver from Silicon Labs CP210x USB to URAT bridge (COM 5) which the Kenwood manual instructed me to download and install for use with the ARCP-890 software. (ref https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts_890/arcp890_e.html )

So, I'm suspecting the ACLog may be trying to use other drivers which I am unable to redirect or change to the Silicon Labs virtual port drivers.

Prior buying the TS-890S in Feb, I had a KW TS-590S and it's remote control software running just fine on same Win10 PC.  That set up also used same USB cable to connect with the TS-590.  But, there were no special drivers involved.  They were just the defaults one on the PC I guess.

I've been reading up on the ACLog program and it sounds like it is at the top gun of logging programs out there. So, I'd love to start using it.  But, I most likely will not be registering/buying it if I can't get it to poll the TS-890 for information as that is the number one thing I am looking for in logging software.

If anyone has experienced this and achieved a fix or has recommendation on what the problem is, or might be, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share it by posting it to the group.

Or if you'd prefer please look me up on QRZ and get in direct contact.

Thanks in advance & 73's de Rich AF1K.

Mike Olbrisch

How are you sharing the ports?   If the port is in use with your Kenwood program, AC-Log will be denied access to the port.

Try turning off your Kenwood program and re-initializing AC-Log, see if you can’t get that to work.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 02:03 PM, Rich Kuster wrote:
Object reference not set to am instance of an object
Dear Mike and anyone else reading or following this thread,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have tried many things.

Yes, I've turned off/on the Kenwood ARCP-TS890 remote control software program and re-initializing AC-Log software many times over and over again.  Also uninstalled/reinstalled the ACLog software a couple times too.

First, the set up.

I've got the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge (virtual drivers?) active on COM3 & COM5.  The KW ARCP-890 remote control software is assigned to use COM5 and works just fine.

For COM4 Serial I have a StarTech FDTI USB to serial cable which I've used when programming HT's, mobile radios, etc.   It doesn't get used much but, as discussed below, I tried it as serial connection between the KW TS-890S to the ACLog software running on the PC.  PC is an HP ENVY running W10.

Next, the steps I've undertaken in tryingto get the ACLog software to interface with the KW TS-890S transceiver.

First step was to download the ACLog software and try to use the unused COM3 port via the Silicon Lab driver.  I tried all different combinations of baud rate, making sure the Data Bits was 8, Parity None, Stops bits 1, and flow control None.  Made sure choices in the ACLog Rig interface window aligned with the driver's port/properties/port settings.  But, when trying to set up the rig interface in the ACLog software, it kept coming back with errors like "device connected not functioning" and the super frustrating "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

So, then step 2 was to try COM4 Serial using the StarTech FDTI USB to serial cable.  After reading the initial responses to my post on groups.io saying they had ACLog working best by the serial port, I thought I'd give it a shot.  Again, nada.  Same error messages.

At one point I did get things to settle down where there were not constant error messages I was able to use the "TEST" option in the ACLog interface set up window.  When I clicked the test button, the ACLog software responded it was "POLLING" the radio.  But, nothing ever came back.  So after 60-90 seconds, I just pressed the end test button.

It just seems like the ACLog software doesn't recognize any connection to the TS-890.

Step 3 As a last resort, I stripped all USB device connections from the PC for one last round of troubleshooting.  The only things still connected to PC via USB cables were the keyboard, mouse, and HP Printer.   I also disconnected the USB cable to TS-890S used for the ARCP remote control software.  Still no luck.

Again, It just seems like the ACLog software doesn't recognize ANY connection to the TS-890.  Dammit, something simple just ain't right.

I was hoping to be able to use both the ARCP to control the radio on one COM port and use the other COM port with the ACLog software.  When it sounded like that wouldn't work I figured OK USB for the ARCP and USB Serial for the ACLog software. Or maybe just the ACLog software with the ARCP software turned off. But the way it looks now, I won't be able to use the ACLog software period.

I have no idea what to do next except try someone elses logging software.  The ACLog on PC is a free trial version for another 43 days.  Not sure if same free trial option there for the other programs.

I am just so frustrated at this point with now about four other hams saying, "Works for me", "No problems here", etc.

Any other ideas you might have, please let me know.

Thanks & 73's de Rich AF1K

Scott Davis

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.

You should not be seeing that error message, regardless of settings.  Click File > Show File Locations and note the location of your Settings files.  Close AC Log.  With Windows File Manager, navigate to the folder and delete the RigSettings.xml file.  That will essentially start you from scratch.  Then start AC Log and try configuring your rig interface, without any other intervening software, as detailed here:

Once you get rig interfacing working directly, save your settings.  (Save Settings button at lower left of rig list).  You can then start introducing the variables of additional software.

Good luck!

[...]

Sorry Rich, we have exhausted my input.  I haven’t put a finger on a kenwood since the mid-80s…. long before computer control.  I have Icom and Yaesu, but no Kenwood at all.

It probably is something simple.  Good luck in finding it.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

[...]

ACLog Software now interfacing with the Kenwood TS-890S from AF1K

Many thanks to all that replied to the first set of postings to group.io with information on their working set ups along with suggestions for me to pursue.  Basically, for $32 w/ shipping I bought a new USB CAT interface cable (for Kenwood TS-890S & other KW Rigs) which solved the problem.  Hey, if I can afford a $3k radio I ought to be able to afford getting a new cable to replace a 10+ yr old one right?

So now I am able to run both the KW- ARCP-890 remote control software simultaneously with the ACLog software.  That is the configuration I was chasing when I set off on the path to install logging software that would automatically collect the radios operating configuration setting.

For the details on how I got there, please read the two attachments.

1. "ACLog Software now interfacing with the Kenwood TS-890S from AF1K.pdf"
2. "USB CAT interface cable for Kenwood TS-2000 TS-590SG TS-870s TS-890S TS-570s 747916975519 _ eBay.pdf"

Sometimes ya get lucky, but sometimes persistence and a little extra cash works too.

73’s de Rich AF1K
Email RichJKuster@... or enjoyacold807@...

Scott Davis

Thanks so much for the good report and good information Rich!