Topics

Beam heading for DX

Peter George

Until recently the beam heading and distance numbers made sense, but I've noticed in the last couple of months they are no longer accurate.  For example I live in NH.  If I type in a European station, ON4UN in Belgium for example I would expect to see a beam heading of 60-70 degrees, but it comes up as 304 degrees... I checked my setup and it seems to be correct, showing me as 43.524 / -71.27.  What else should I check?

BTW, I am operating my radio, located in NH remotely from Florida but I would not expect that to make any difference.  I have the mdb file saved on dropbox so I can find it from either location.

73,  Pete  WA1HXH

Christopher Scibelli

Same thing happened to me but with a local station.  The heading was way off.  What database does AC Log use to get it's bearing and distance info?

Chris  NU1O

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Mar 24, 2020 11:23 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Beam heading for DX

Until recently the beam heading and distance numbers made sense, but I've noticed in the last couple of months they are no longer accurate.  For example I live in NH.  If I type in a European station, ON4UN in Belgium for example I would expect to see a beam heading of 60-70 degrees, but it comes up as 304 degrees... I checked my setup and it seems to be correct, showing me as 43.524 / -71.27.  What else should I check?

BTW, I am operating my radio, located in NH remotely from Florida but I would not expect that to make any difference.  I have the mdb file saved on dropbox so I can find it from either location.

73,  Pete  WA1HXH

Scott Davis

Hi Pete and Chris,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Please see this FAQ here (has info on both DX and stateside):

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q21

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Mar 24, 2020 12:50 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Beam heading for DX

Same thing happened to me but with a local station.  The heading was way off.  What database does AC Log use to get it's bearing and distance info?

Chris  NU1O

Sent: Tue, Mar 24, 2020 11:23 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Beam heading for DX

73,  Pete  WA1HXH

Peter George

Thanks Scott for the response.  I guess I am still a bit confused. 

If the country list referenced is intended to give the direction from my QTH to that country, it needs to be recalculated.  For example if I look up "G" in the file, it shows beam heading 308 and and distance 3264 miles.  The distance is probably pretty close but the beam heading is off.  The beam heading for England from here is 55 - 60 degrees.

If I look at Haiti (HH), the list shows a beam heading of 323 and a distance of 7,530 miles.  It is actually due south of here (180) and a distance of about 1750 miles.

If I look up VK, I see a heading of 127 and 6,037 miles.  The actual heading for VK is closer to 300 and the distance is about 10,000 miles.

How do I get the country list to re-calculate?

Thanks,

Pete

Scott Davis

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your follow up.  The bearing and distance values are recalculated with each Call text entry field keypress, based on your coordinates and those of the AD1C country list.  Make sure you have the correct latitude and longitude in Settings > Setup and you will be all set.

Here are my settings from Maryland:

Capture.JPG
Both examples you sent are calculated correctly:

Capture2.JPG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 7:12 am

If the country list referenced is intended to give the direction from my QTH to that country, it needs to be recalculated.  For example if I look up "G" in the file, it shows beam heading 308 and and distance 3264 miles.  The distance is probably pretty close but the beam heading is off.  The beam heading for England from here is 55 - 60 degrees.

If I look at Haiti (HH), the list shows a beam heading of 323 and a distance of 7,530 miles.  It is actually due south of here (180) and a distance of about 1750 miles.

If I look up VK, I see a heading of 127 and 6,037 miles.  The actual heading for VK is closer to 300 and the distance is about 10,000 miles.

Thanks,

Pete

Peter George

Here are my settings.  
And here is a call sign I entered just now for a station in England.  It is still coming us with an erroneous beam heading of 308 degrees.

Something isn't working right.

Pete

Christopher Scibelli

I'm reticent to be asking trivial ham radio related questions at this time, but it takes my mind off the pandemic and likely yours, as well, Scott.

I have my correct coordinates and this feature has always worked fine.  I don't think the database you use is connecting so AC Log is defaulting to state capitals for US lookups.  All local friends in my state of Mass. should be defaulting to Boston, which is about 90 miles east of me.  Instead, three local friends in Mass. all gave the same heading as 182 degrees and a distance of 27 miles.  I typed in N3FJP and got a heading of 225 degrees and 282 miles.  The heading seems in the ballpark but I'm not sure about the distance.  I would think we are farther than 282 miles.  

This is not a huge problem.  I'm mainly a DXer and know most headings from rote, but I thought I'd post this as long as we're on the topic.

I hope all is well with you and your loved ones, Scott.  Same to all my colleagues in this user's group.

Chris  NU1O

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 7:58 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your follow up.  The bearing and distance values are recalculated with each Call text entry field keypress, based on your coordinates and those of the AD1C country list.  Make sure you have the correct latitude and longitude in Settings > Setup and you will be all set.

Here are my settings from Maryland:

Capture.JPG
Both examples you sent are calculated correctly:

Capture2.JPG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 7:12 am

Thanks,

Pete

Christopher Scibelli

Try it again, Pete,  I just typed in your call and the bearing and distance seem right.  G3VSK is 51 degrees and 3,237 miles.

Chris NU1O

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 8:21 am

Here are my settings.  
And here is a call sign I entered just now for a station in England.  It is still coming us with an erroneous beam heading of 308 degrees.

Something isn't working right.

Pete

Peter George

I just noticed in my settings, it says "west is positive" but in yours it says "west is negative"...  

Should mine be entered as 71.27 instead of -71.27?  

Christopher Scibelli

West is a negative value.  That's what the program says and that's what I have entered.  I'm -72.5555.

Chris

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 8:38 am

I just noticed in my settings, it says "west is positive" but in yours it says "west is negative"...  

Should mine be entered as 71.27 instead of -71.27?  

Peter George

Hi Chris,

What is weird, if you look at my settings snapshot above, next to longitude it shows "west is positive"....

Weird.  West is usually negative.

Pete

Scott Davis

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your follow up.  You are using and old version of AC Log.  Please upgrade to 6.6 and you will be all set.

Chris, thanks for your help and comments.  Aside from everyone home playing radio (and as a result me drowning in e-mail support), all is well.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am

Hi Chris,

What is weird, if you look at my settings snapshot above, next to longitude it shows "west is positive"....

Pete

Christopher Scibelli

I'm glad to hear that, Scott.  Keep up the terrific job.  We all appreciate your software and, most of all, your support and company.

Chris  NU1O

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 8:51 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your follow up.  You are using and old version of AC Log.  Please upgrade to 6.6 and you will be all set.

Chris, thanks for your help and comments.  Aside from everyone home playing radio (and as a result me drowning in e-mail support), all is well.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am

Hi Chris,

Pete

Peter George

Sure enough.  I changed my longitude to +71.27 and the calculations seem correct....

Am I running a different version?  It says I am running 5.7.

Pete

Peter George

Will do.  Thanks for your help!

Pete

Christopher Scibelli

You'll be fine once you get the latest version which is priority one.  Everybody should be using the latest version which is Version 6.6.

Chris  NU1O

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 9:04 am

Will do.  Thanks for your help!

Pete