Topics

Error when attempting to download AD1C country file

Jim Brassell, K4ZMV

When I attempt to download the AD1C country file to ACL, I get a message saying the attempt was aborted because it could not create a SSL/TLS secure channel.  How do I fix that?

Scott Davis

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you have run into trouble.  Jim just upgraded his site with the more secure https protocol.  I am betting you are running an OS that is no longer in active support, and does not have support for the https protocol.  Which OS are you running?

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Feb 13, 2020 12:26 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Error when attempting to download AD1C country file

When I attempt to download the AD1C country file to ACL, I get a message saying the attempt was aborted because it could not create a SSL/TLS secure channel.  How do I fix that?

Jim Brassell, K4ZMV

Hello, Scott.

I am running Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit) Service Pack 1 with all current updates.  I am also using Windows Explorer 11 with all current updates.  I am not having any other SSL problems.

Thanks and 73, Jim

Scott Davis

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your follow up.  You should be okay with Win 7.  Please make sure this Win 7 update is on your system:

If you continue to have trouble, try running the SSLFix.reg file detailed at the bottom of the page here:

I hope that this helps!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Thu, Feb 13, 2020 2:51 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Error when attempting to download AD1C country file

Hello, Scott.

I am running Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit) Service Pack 1 with all current updates.  I am also using Windows Explorer 11 with all current updates.  I am not having any other SSL problems.

Thanks and 73, Jim

Jim Brassell, K4ZMV

Scott,

I found the problem  I was running ACL Ver. 6.4.  I upgraded to ACL Ver. 6.6 and the countries download worked fine.  Good question to ask dummies like me; 'What is your ACL version?'.

By the way, without a Microsoft update ID (KB.....) it is almost impossible to find out whether an update is installed.  At least almost impossible for me.

Thanks for your help.

73, Jim

Scott Davis

Thanks for the good report Jim!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Thu, Feb 13, 2020 4:15 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Error when attempting to download AD1C country file

Scott,

I found the problem  I was running ACL Ver. 6.4.  I upgraded to ACL Ver. 6.6 and the countries download worked fine.  Good question to ask dummies like me; 'What is your ACL version?'.

By the way, without a Microsoft update ID (KB.....) it is almost impossible to find out whether an update is installed.  At least almost impossible for me.

Thanks for your help.

73, Jim

n3nz Noel

Hi,

I want to participate in ARRL's DX CW contest. Tried to to download country files
and get this message: Error Downloading Country Files- The request was aborted; Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
Win 10/64 home.
I have no problem in ACL Country Files, download ok.

73, Noel (OM) N3NZ 

Scott Davis

Hi Noel,

Thanks for your e-mail.  As a work around, doing the download from AC Log will be fine.  That said, I am curious why you are encountering that.

Which version of the ARRL DX software are you running and which version of Windows are you running?

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am

Hi,

I want to participate in ARRL's DX CW contest. Tried to to download country files
and get this message: Error Downloading Country Files- The request was aborted; Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
Win 10/64 home.
I have no problem in ACL Country Files, download ok.

73, Noel (OM) N3NZ