Topics

NAQP Software issue #naqp #contest

Ken Bell

Hi Guys

I'm a fairly new user of N3FJP and have started using it for all of my logging needs.  I ran for 8 hours yesterday on the NAQP CW and managed to rack up 210 contacts, which is fantastic for me.  The software really helped keep things flowing. The export of the Cabrillo log and export to LoTW and eqsl were SO much easier than my last logging program.  It took at least an hour off of my post contest duties.  BUT, and BIG BUT...  part way through the contest, the program stopped recording the frequency.

I found out after looking at my logs on LoTW this morning. In the NAQP software, frequency is not shown on the screen, so there is no way to know this real-time.   Looking at the exported log, for about 50 entries, there is no frequency. Then it started working again.

I know that frequency is not required for the contest, but if there is no frequency, how does it know the band?  I switched back and forth several times chasing new contacts when things got slow. The band stays on 40M through the portion with no frequency.

Anyone else experience this?

Best regards,

Ken - K4EES

Jim Shorney

I don't have an answer for you because I still do stuff like band logging manually most of the time, but the lesson here is that it is up to you as the operator to ensure that the automation is recording the correct information. Because automation WILL fail you sooner or later. It is not a matter of if, but rather a matter of when.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 09:45:42 -0800
"Ken Bell" <k4ees@arrl.net> wrote:

I know that frequency is not required for the contest, but if there is no frequency, how does it know the band?  I switched back and forth several times chasing new contacts when things got slow. The band stays on 40M through the portion with no frequency.

Anyone else experience this?

Ken Bell

I just found where Frequency is shown, and I’ll be checking that now, before hitting enter.

-ken

On Jan 12, 2020, at 12:16 PM, Jim Shorney <jshorney@inebraska.com> wrote:

I don't have an answer for you because I still do stuff like band logging manually most of the time, but the lesson here is that it is up to you as the operator to ensure that the automation is recording the correct information. Because automation WILL fail you sooner or later. It is not a matter of if, but rather a matter of when.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 09:45:42 -0800
"Ken Bell" <k4ees@arrl.net> wrote:

I know that frequency is not required for the contest, but if there is no frequency, how does it know the band? I switched back and forth several times chasing new contacts when things got slow. The band stays on 40M through the portion with no frequency.

Anyone else experience this?

Scott Davis

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you ran into trouble.  What you describe is not typical at all.  Frequency is always displayed on the form with rig interface enabled (see bottom of image below).

Without rig interface working properly, there is no way for the software to know to change bands, unless you select the band manually from the menu options.

The most likely causes are rig hardware connectivity (loose cable) or a driver problem.  RF in the shack could also interfere with the communication.

Capture.JPG

I hope that this helps!

[...]

Scott

Thank you for replying. I’m fairly new to your software and have just discovered the frequency and band… in plain sight… so I’ll be checking that from now on. Our club will be running your WFD package networked in 2 weeks and I need to prevent this from happening.

I have noticed that if I change focus from any N3FJP software, for instance go to a web page and return, that the F keys are disabled. To re-establish, I have to click on the mini F page button or go back to the setup page and hit the test button. May somehow be related.

Also, I did manually change bands to the current band at some point in the contest… don’t know why other than the software recommends you do so on startup, I think. I don’t remember at what point. I doubt that would do it, but who knows. I will test in a bit and reply if this did anything.

Bill Gates should thank you. Your software is the only reason I own a (brand new) Windows laptop. Windows handling of drivers and com ports is much better than it used to be, but still can’t hold a light to Apple/Linux. PC Keyer and computer kit is brand new. Its possible there is a bad usb cord. I will change that one out.

-ken - K4EES

-ken

http://www.n3fjp.com

[...]

Thanks for your follow up.  The F keys will only work when the N3FJP app has focus, but you can click anywhere on the form to give it focus.

Thank you for replying.  I’m fairly new to your software and have just discovered the frequency and band… in plain sight… so I’ll be checking that from now on.  Our club will be running your WFD package networked in 2 weeks and I need to prevent this from happening.

I have noticed that if I change focus from any N3FJP software, for instance go to a web page and return, that the F keys are disabled.  To re-establish, I have to click on the mini F page button or go back to the setup page and hit the test button. May somehow be related.

Also, I did manually change bands to the current band at some point in the contest… don’t know why other than the software recommends you do so on startup, I think.  I don’t remember at what point.  I doubt that would do it, but who knows.  I will test in a bit and reply if this did anything.

Bill Gates should thank you.  Your software is the only reason I own a (brand new) Windows laptop. Windows handling of drivers and com ports is much better than it used to be, but still can’t hold a light to Apple/Linux. PC Keyer and computer kit is brand new. Its possible there is a bad usb cord.  I will change that one out.

-ken - K4EES

-ken

> On Jan 12, 2020, at 12:26 PM, Scott Davis via Groups.Io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you ran into trouble.  What you describe is not typical at all.  Frequency is always displayed on the form with rig interface enabled (see bottom of image below).
>
> Without rig interface working properly, there is no way for the software to know to change bands, unless you select the band manually from the menu options.
>
> The most likely causes are rig hardware connectivity (loose cable) or a driver problem.  RF in the shack could also interfere with the communication.
>
> <Capture.JPG>
>

> I hope that this helps!
>
> 73, Scott
> N3FJP
> http://www.n3fjp.com
>
> Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
>
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Ed W2LCQ <w2lcq@...>

After checking all the usual things such as rig interface parameters, com ports, device manager, drivers etc take a good look at RFI in the shack. Anytime my log software acted up (ACL, N1MM+, SKCC) intermittently I found RFI to be the culprit. Solved with good grounds and ferrite clamps with multiple cable twists. Any cable going to the computer should have ferrites attached.

Good luck, Ed

73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

CWops 701 - SKCC 5474T - FISTS 12294
                 Frankford Radio Club

“The feeling is constantly growing on me that I had been the first to hear the greeting of one planet to another” —- Nicola Tesla

“I do not think that the radio waves I have discovered will have any practical application.”
          —-Heinrich Hertz

On Jan 12, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Scott Davis via Groups.Io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Scott

I verified a few minutes ago that I had to click on the mini window or go to settings to get the keyer to work with function keys after losing and returning focus to N3FJP.  This was contrary to your note, but was obvious after having to do it many times yesterday.

BUT, I was following another issue discussing Com ports and was reminded that Windows requires a reboot quit often.  Mine hasn’t been rebooted in a week and I’ve added software, tinkered with settings, particularly com ports and drivers and data speeds, etc.

So…. I rebooted, and now the keyer works just fine without having to go to mini or the settings window.   8= ) 8=) 8=)

If it happens again, I know what to do.  AND, a checklist item will be added to reboot all systems on the Winter Field Day  network next week .

I’m renewing  my hate-hate relationship with Windows after a 10 year hiatus. Things like this is what drove me to a system costing 3x as much.

Thank you for all you do.

-ken

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Thanks for your follow up.  The F keys will only work when the N3FJP app has focus, but you can click anywhere on the form to give it focus.

Thank you for replying.  I’m fairly new to your software and have just discovered the frequency and band… in plain sight… so I’ll be checking that from now on.  Our club will be running your WFD package networked in 2 weeks and I need to prevent this from happening.

I have noticed that if I change focus from any N3FJP software, for instance go to a web page and return, that the F keys are disabled.  To re-establish, I have to click on the mini F page button or go back to the setup page and hit the test button. May somehow be related.

Also, I did manually change bands to the current band at some point in the contest… don’t know why other than the software recommends you do so on startup, I think.  I don’t remember at what point.  I doubt that would do it, but who knows.  I will test in a bit and reply if this did anything.

Bill Gates should thank you.  Your software is the only reason I own a (brand new) Windows laptop. Windows handling of drivers and com ports is much better than it used to be, but still can’t hold a light to Apple/Linux. PC Keyer and computer kit is brand new. Its possible there is a bad usb cord.  I will change that one out.

-ken - K4EES

-ken

> On Jan 12, 2020, at 12:26 PM, Scott Davis via Groups.Io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you ran into trouble.  What you describe is not typical at all.  Frequency is always displayed on the form with rig interface enabled (see bottom of image below).
>
> Without rig interface working properly, there is no way for the software to know to change bands, unless you select the band manually from the menu options.
>
> The most likely causes are rig hardware connectivity (loose cable) or a driver problem.  RF in the shack could also interfere with the communication.
>
> <Capture.JPG>
>

> I hope that this helps!
>
> 73, Scott
> N3FJP
> http://www.n3fjp.com
>
> Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
>
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Ken Bell

Hi Scott

I'm resurrecting this issue, since I have more info.  The original problem was that the software would stop updating frequency (and thus band). I have an IC-7300 and a W-10 new notebook computer. I'm running your latest everything. My system is patched to the lates.  You suggested RFI in the shack and possibly bad USB cables.  I changed to new USB cables with ferrite beads.  I've have chased, but find no other evidence of RF in the shack.   I use ACLog almost daily. I haven't had a problem with it.

I operated at WFD recently and had the problem again after operating for a few of hours. I was at the end of my shift, so I shutdown and didn't investigate.   Yesterday, I operated on the ARRL Int CW contest for about 7 hours.   Like NAQP, and WFD the rig ran fine when I started.  After about 7 hours I started having the problem, so I decided  to investigate. I rearranged my USB cables, etc. No joy.  Swapped cables, no joy. Swapped USB cable locations on the PC. No joy.  Sending still worked fine.

I could always get it to run properly when I went to the Rig Interface page and clicked the 'Poll' button. I noticed that the amount of data in the windows would grow to almost fill the window occasionally. Sometimes the interface would stop running.  Later, it would only reset to the current frequency when hitting the Poll button, then that would hang.  I was about tired of S&P, so I decided to do some extra testing.

 - Happens while listening and after some time, would hang almost instantly.
 - Tried changine timing and other settings, but nothing would keep it running.
 - USB Cables are new with beads, moved cables physically, change ports, swapped cables.
 - Instantly repeatable. It dies right away.
 - To restart, click on the 'Poll' button and it updates to the current frequency immediately.
 - Data stream in the Interface windows show very long strings regularly.  I don't remember seeing this many characters when it is running.
 - Have not had this problem running ACLog.....   so.....  stopped and switched to ACLog and.....
 - With nothing else changed, ACLog worked just fine, as it always does.  Could it be that the problems had been with Contest packages????
 - Switched right back to ARRL Int DX package and......   It works just fine.  Cannot make it fail, no matter what.

So what I think I'm telling you is that we could possibly have a memory leak or some counter that takes a while to overload....  could maybe be in W-10.  I did NOT reboot the PC.  Only restarted the software.  Once the software was restarted, I cannot make it fail.  This was after running for about 7 hours, which is almost exactly what happened with the NAQP software, and probably WFD software.

Just throwing this out to you in the chance you get to have a look at some point.  I will try to leave the package runnign with my radio on to see if it fails after 7 or 8 hours.

I know to restart the software when I see this again.

Thank you for your time and for this software.

--
Ken - K4EES

Edward Van Cleave <ed_vanc@...>

Ken,

Your USB port may be going to sleep depending upon the polling speed you are using.   Have you checked to see whether Windows has checked the Power Management tab in the UART port created for the IC-7300?  Mine was causing a lot of havoc until I unchecked the boxes on the device tab.

The 7300 must be powered on.  Then go to Device Manager; Ports;, then select the Port connected to the USB cable.  Select the Power Management Tab and clear all checked boxes.

Ed, W0VC

[...]

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.

Ed is right, there is a hardware / OS / driver and / or RFI setting at the crux of what is causing your problem.

If there were a problem with the software, many others would also be reporting it.  There have been no major changes to the rig interface code in years, so anything generic would have come to light long before now.

I routinely leave the computer polling for up to 14 hours a day, every day and up to 48 hours on contest weekends.  That is true of many of my users.  I've not ever experienced what you describe and I've not had any similar reports (that didn't wind up being traced to a hardware setting, such as the one Ed described).

Thanks for chiming in with your good suggestions Ed!

[...]

Thank you for replying again.  I'll send a few more points your way and we can drop it.  I'll either accept it or go back to using something else.

Thanks to Ed for the suggestion. I was hopeful, but the sleep mode box was not ticked in the driver.  The driver has been ripped out by the roots and re-installed. There is no noticeable RFI in the shack... the problem happens while receiving, so I should notice something in my signal and it's very good.    Further, the problem goes away when the software is shutdown and restarted and doesn't rear it's head for some extended period of time.  When the problem is happening, there are definitely extra characters being interpreted by the software.

Physically removing the USB connection while the software is still running, swapping cables, and restarting the polling does not stop the problem. Clicking the 'Test' on the rig interface page will always correct the current frequency, but will not usually follow a VFO change.

The very odd thing is It corrects itself when the ACLog, not W-10 or PC, is restarted and doesn't happen again for an extended period of time. And when it fails, it fails.  I'm leaving it running and if it fails again tonight, I'll do some more testing for my benefit.

I'm fairly sure the issue is on the PC side of the USB cable.  Software, Windows 10, Brand new driver (late last year) are suspect.
--
Ken - K4EES

Scott Davis

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your follow up.  I understand how frustrating the inconsistent data is and I wish I could be more help.  Without being able to duplicate the problem, I really don't have any other insights to offer from here, beyond what I've already shared.