Issue: Not fully communicating with Yaesu FT-2000.

Bob W1RPG

Issue: Not fully communicating with Yaesu FT-2000.

First off, I have been using N3FJP loggers for years and since April 2019 using a USB to RS-232 Serial Adapter. Model is the Insignia NS-PU99501 from Best Buy. It is actually a Prolific chipset.

Since April 2019 up to June 2019 N3FJP was communicating just fine.

Sometime in June the communication became spotty.  When a try to Poll the FT-2000, the frequency field says AWAITING RESPONSE and the mode field says AWAITING.

If I click on the TEST CHANGE FREQUENCY TEST , it will change frequency and mode.  That seems to work but the POLLING does not so the RIG FREQUENCY and MODE does populate on the main logging screen.

The Red LED on the FT2000 CS button Flashes on and off.    Before this issue, the Red LED was ON steady and not flashing.

This happens while using the desktop and laptop both utilizing the USB to RS22 Serial Adapter.

Anyone have this issue and is there something I am missing.

James Ewer

Bob

I have an FT-2000. Get a new serial adapter. Avoid prolific chipsets. They got counterfeited some years back. You can download new drivers from their website and a utility to detect counterfeits. It depends on the operating system also. It is not that prolific is a good company they are. It is that the big box stores don’t check this stuff prior to selling. I used a vantec adapter with no trouble. Now I use legacy 9 pin. Why are you using RTS? Try disabling it on the rig and N3FJP menu. Life is to short spend time troubleshooting this IMHO.

Jim AC8AZ MCSE

[...]

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

Is the baud rate that high, 38.4?

[...]

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

I believe the baud rate, regardless of how high or low it is, has to match radio and computer settings.

Lou WA5LOU

--
Lou WA5LOU

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

That’s my understanding Lou

Frank

NG1I

[...]

Ed W2LCQ <w2lcq@...>

You say “ That seems to work but the POLLING does not so the RIG FREQUENCY and MODE does populate on the main logging screen.” if polling doesn’t work how can rig freq and mode populate on the logging screen?
You might try putting large ferrites with 3-4 cable loops on each end of the cable. Could be an RFI issue. I’ve had good luck with cables by West Mountain Radio Rigtalk and Valley Enterprises. I am not familiar with your Best Buy cable. Good luck!

Vy 73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

                   Frankford Radio Club
CWops 701 - SKCC 5474C - FISTS 12294

“My ear barely caught signals coming in regular succession which could not have been produced on earth.” —- Nicola Tesla

On Dec 9, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Wilbur Doolittle <johndeere75549011@...> wrote:

That seems to work but the POLLING does not so the RIG FREQUENCY and MODE does populate on the main logging screen.

Jim Polewczak

I don’t know what operating system is being used, but Win 10 has had some problems with their releases recently.  I suggest that you should check if there is a newer driver available.
In device manager right click on the port, and check for updates.
If it used to work with these settings, that would be the first place I would check.

Jim. KG2H

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 1:17 PM Frank MacKenzie-Lamb <maclamb@...> wrote:

That’s my understanding Lou

Frank

NG1I

[...]

Boy do you have that right Lou…Win10 is become a problem

[...]

It wasn’t me.  It was Jim who brought that out.  I am a Windows 7 user.

Lou WA5LOU

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 2:46 PM Frank MacKenzie-Lamb <maclamb@...> wrote:

[...]

Wish I still was Lou

[...]

Scott Davis

Hey Guys,

Please remember that every time you click reply, you are adding another e-mail to thousands of inboxes.  Diluting this group with threads that have morphed into off topic dialogue, that isn't meaningful to the majority, decreases it's value.  You are of course welcome to continue personal dialogue direct.

Thanks for your understanding.