Topics

QRZ Error Message

W4ARK

Scott,

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Lou Everett, Sr.

Internet burps every once and awhile.

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 5:10 AM Paul Rasp <cerritas@...> wrote:

Scott,

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Scott Davis

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Possibly, but I believe QRZ also resets your key after a period of inactivity.

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Mike Olbrisch

Morning Paul.

I get the same error.  I am not certain if the computer going to sleep has as much to do with it as the time elapsed since the last QRZ database access.  I get this error early in the morning after sleeping all night, but I sometimes get it after logging the local 80m guys at 5-am, then late in the afternoon making another contact.  It seems if I make several contacts spread through-out the day (like SOTA chasing) that the database is “kept alive” by the periodic use.  The computer often goes to sleep between entries, but the error only appears after a prolonged sleep.  I’ve not bothered to try to time it.

What frustrates me more is this.  I have a computer dedicated to logging and digital.  I’ve told that computer to “Remember”
my credentials for QRZ.  But every now and then it forgets something and I have to manually log into QRZ again.  That doesn’t happen real often.  Not even monthly.  But even once is more than I intended.  I use strange passwords, and I don’t trust password management programs, so when it does this I have to look it up every time.

I’ll leave you with this.  To err is human….. but to really foul things up takes a computer.

Have a SUPER day.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

Big Bend JEEP Rear

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Larry Banks

Hi Paul,

This happens to me often if I am not actively using JTAlert to make Qs.  Just clear and click the station again and it will reset.  I think it’s the polling of QRZ that has timed out –  my computer does not go to sleep so that is not the cause in my case.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Pat Whelton

Glad I’m not the only one having problems with QRZ.   My issue is I have to log on to QRZ more often than I would like.  I can understand being forced to logon maybe twice a year but more than that is a pain in the a**.  I’ve been keeping track of it and here is my experience in the last two months:

QRZ Login
=========
8/06/19 – Twice
8/23/19
9/11/19
9/14/19
9/15/19 – Twice

A little much in my opinion.

Also I my subscription is paid up unitl 5/31/2020 and I really don’t use QRZ all that much.

Regards,

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Mike Olbrisch

Good morning Pat.

Have you noticed or can you look back and see how long it was since the previous entry when this happened?  That just might be interesting to know.  I suspect it is something like 12 hours, but I don’t think I’ve ever experienced it twice on one day, so my log wouldn’t show something like that.

Have a GREAT day sir.

Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC.

El Paso, Texas - DM61rt.

SOTA W5T-Texas Association Manager.

NA-SOTA info is at:  http://na-sota.org/

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Pat Whelton

Sorry my tracking is not that detailed.  It’s just frustrating when you’re in a hurry and you want to look up QSL info on a rare one and QRZ won’t give you the address until you log on.  You then log on and figure that’s the end of it but a couple of days later you have to logon again.

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Dean Holste

Has anyone bothered to ask the QRZ folks about this? It could be something they have set up as their security. I have never seen an online account that does not time out after a period of inactivity. Something that clearly has nothing to do with Scott's software is getting a lot of time on here.

Dean, KC9EOQ

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM Pat Whelton <pwhelton@...> wrote:
Sorry my tracking is not that detailed.  It’s just frustrating when you’re in a hurry and you want to look up QSL info on a rare one and QRZ won’t give you the address until you log on.  You then log on and figure that’s the end of it but a couple of days later you have to logon again.

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Pat Whelton

Thank you Dean for taking the time to comment on QRZ’d problem and then reminding us that it doesn’t belong here.

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

W4ARK

I receive the error message that I've described only when I have ACL open.  I use QRZ lookup service and my reason for posting in this group was because I thought there might be some glitch in the interface provided for client programs ( N3FJP) that connect to the QRZ.COM database.

I have no issues accessing the QRZ site with a browser.

73

Paul

W4ARK

On September 17, 2019 at 1:03 PM Pat Whelton <pwhelton@...> wrote:

Thank you Dean for taking the time to comment on QRZ’d problem and then reminding us that it doesn’t belong here.

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

W4ARK

Thank you for your response Scott,

"

Sessions

The QRZ XML server maintains login/logout state information on for each user through the use of a session key. Upon successful login, an encrypted session key is returned to the client application which must be cached so that it can be used with subsequent data requests to the server.

Session keys are unique and are recreated each time a user logs in. A session key is valid for only one user at a time, logging in from a single IP address.

Session keys are temporary in nature and may be valid up to 24 hours. Whenever a user logs in, any previously issued session keys are invalidated. A session key may also be invalidated at any time by the server, so client applications should be prepared to re-login at any time."

These timeout errors are within a 8-10 hour period.

https://www.qrz.com/XML/specifications.1.8.html

73

Paul
W4ARK

Grahame Emerson

Pat,

I never log out of QRZI just “red X” out to close the program.  That way, ACL is always able to bring up the other stations info

Grahame. AD6GE

Sorry my tracking is not that detailed.  It’s just frustrating when you’re in a hurry and you want to look up QSL info on a rare one and QRZ won’t give you the address until you log on.  You then log on and figure that’s the end of it but a couple of days later you have to logon again.

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

If QRZ times out, it is not necessary to close AC Log to reconnect.  Just close the error message, tab through the call field again with a valid call and AC Log will automatically reconnect.

I never log out of QRZI just “red X” out to close the program.  That way, ACL is always able to bring up the other stations info
Grahame. AD6GE

Sorry my tracking is not that detailed.  It’s just frustrating when you’re in a hurry and you want to look up QSL info on a rare one and QRZ won’t give you the address until you log on.  You then log on and figure that’s the end of it but a couple of days later you have to logon again.

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

Mike Olbrisch

Pat,

Don’t worry.  At first I wondered if it was a Windows issue, an AC-Log issue, or a QRZ issue.  So I ran another logging program over night, and got the same error.  That eliminated AC-Log.  If you did not have the opportunity to try that, it wasn’t 100% clear and I thought your question was valid.

Some folks just wake up to 7 Mondays a week, and some forget they have a delete key and can even block a whole thread.  When I identify them, I drop them on a block list and they never bother me again.  You’re fine sir…….  And if you get an answer from QRZ, please share it.  You’re not the only person seeing that happen.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

Big Bend JEEP Rear

Thank you Dean for taking the time to comment on QRZ’d problem and then reminding us that it doesn’t belong here.

Pat - KZ5J

Is this error as a result of my computer going to "sleep"

"There was an error accessing the QRZ internet database. Session Timeout."

Or is there some other explanation?

73
Paul
W4ARK

James AG5VE

Seems every ham forum and most ham clubs nowadays have their share of trolls dressed in "Elmer" suits.

No wonder noobs like me are hesitant to ask questions...

JMc
AG5VE

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 4:58 PM, Mike Olbrisch
<mike-2020@...> wrote:

[...]

Excellent information, thanks for sharing.  Now there is no question of what happens.  And there is probably little that can be done to prevent it.  I find it mildly annoying, but not a show-stopper.

[...]

Dan Morris

That is exactly what I do.  Sometimes when AC Log is up for a while it appears/seems like QRZ times out or something. So, I just click on ESC key to clear everything and then type in the Call and click on TAB and it just starts working fine.  No need to close out AC Log at all.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Sep 17, 2019, at 4:45 PM, Scott Davis via Groups.Io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

[...]

W5DET

What is being reset is called a SESSION_COOKIE which the website sets in your browser.  There is typically a timer associated with these cookies in order to prevent a host of dead connections which still tie up server resources.  I can't speak to how QRZ.com sets their Session Cookies, but the Session Timeout message is a result of the inactivity period exceeding a preset timeout value.  Session Cookies are definitely not unique to QRZ.

--Doug, W5DET

RICHARD SCHMIEDT

The link to QRZ just needs to be reestablished. You don’t need to log in again. Just reset your cursor at the end of the call in the call field and hit the space bar to refill the rest of the fields. The QRZ link will be reestablished.

Or if you want to do a bit more work, hit esc to clear the field and retype the call and then hit the space bar.

Rick
W4GE