New Feature - Quick Total Count - Thoughts?

Scott Davis

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Larry Banks

Hi Scott,

A great idea.  How do you distinguish between confirmed and unconfirmed when you have both in a band-mode slot?  Or do you plan on just showing unconfirmed when there are no confirmed, since that really is the “binary” information of importance.  (I’m assuming that is what is shown – the greens show none confirmed in 80 PH for example, whereas 40 PH has 4 confirmed and an unknown unconfirmed.)

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] New Feature - Quick Total Count - Thoughts?

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Hi Larry,

The way I have it set now, if any of the QSOs are confirmed, that cell is blue (which applies to the band overall, as well as the specific modes).  For example, for 40 PH, there are 4 QSOs.  As along as any one (or more) of those QSOs are confirmed, it will be blue and the band will be blue.

I know I could list totals for worked vs confirmed for each band, but that is adding a lot of extra columns and unnecessary detail (for the intent of this feature).  This is just a quick glance kinda thing that needs to stay small and simple.

What brought this up is that I am trying to get 5 Band DXCC.  Four bands are done, but I am still working on 80.  I have my new alerts set for band and mode, so just because I get a new alert on 80, doesn't mean it is new overall.  I might already have the entity confirmed on CW, even though it is showing new on SSB.  I could change my alert status to just be by band, but I want to keep it band and mode for other reasons.  This form tells me with a simple click if the entity is needed overall or not.

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Larry Banks

Hi Scott,

Sounds good – as long as we know the criteria it will work well.  (I am also going for 80M DXCC to reach 5B DXCC! 86 worked, 84 confirmed.)  I would suggest that green be “good” and red be “bad” – the usual traffic light colors.  (Although the red should not be “pure” for ADA reasons.)

Even simpler would be to forgo the numbers – just have a green Y for confirmed and a red N for unconfirmed, although this may actually take more processing time, and give less information.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Jay

Green usually means  go or "ok".
I dare say that the unconfirmed color should be more of the red / yellow / orange "warning colors".

Jay -N1RWY

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts.  The blue confirmed is the long standing default confirmed color for AC Log's main list (enabled by clicking Settings > Appearance > Colors and Fonts and enabling the color option).  It would be too confusing to vary from that.

I was thinking the same thing on the colors.....
Maybe make them user definable......?
Mark
Km4djo

[Attachment(s) from Jay Baack included below]

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Capture.JPG

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Thanks Larry,

You are farther along on 80M than I am.  Only 65 confirmed here.

Yes, I considered the W C letter designations for worked and confirmed, but I thought the numerical values would be more interesting without requiring much more space.  Hmm, maybe the W /C would be more sensible?

If you would like to give it a try, here is beta 5.8.3:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

paul G0HEU

Hi Scott

That’s seems to work well as normal I would prefer the number to the letters

Maybe an add on to this would it possible to get a band list of countries worked ie select  the band and click band button show all the counties worked on that band

Thanks again for the upgrades

Paul

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed

Green = unconfirmed

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your testing and suggestions.

The Awards form is specifically designed to display a list of countries by band.  Just enter the band in the band field on that form and click Calculate.

Thanks again!

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

John Carobine - WB8RFB <wb8rfb@...>

Scott,

Just installed the 5.8.3 Beta and love it!  This works well for me.  I need 35 more on 80 meters to get 5 Band DXCC and also have DXCC on the WARC Bands too.  80 is a tough one from the Midwest so your new feature is very, very useful.

John - WB8RFB

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

paul G0HEU

Learn something new every day !!!!!

Didn’t know that one

Cheers

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed

Green = unconfirmed

John K9IJ

Hi Scott,

I don't see 160M in the screen shot. I hope it's not going to be left out.

73
John - K9IJ

On 1/24/2017 12:40 PM, Scott & Kimberly Davis SNKDavis@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] wrote:

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

k9ij@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

n4kc@...

Also 60, 30 and 6!  I only need eight more confirmed on 30 for my 100 there...

73,

Don N4KC

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

Don't worry, every band on which you have at least one QSO with the DX Entity is listed.

Also 60, 30 and 6!  I only need eight more confirmed on 30 for my 100 there...

73,

Don N4KC

n4kc@...

Scott,

Once again your software is smarter than I am.  Please stop that.  I'm getting an inferiority complex! :-)

73,

Don N4KC

Larry Banks

Hi Scott,

I’ve been using the beta this evening.  I really like the addition.  In the past I have usually “tabbed” from the country entry window to bring up what I had for the country – much more tedious and much harder to analyze.  This works really well, especially as I am also going for the DX Challenge (846 currently confirmed.)  Seeing whether I have any confirmed on a band is just what is needed.

I do find it a bit difficult to distinguish the colors.  The green is usually for a “1” as more Qs than that and the probably of a confirmation goes up quite a bit.  So a green 1 is a bit hard to read.  Is it possible to color the cell?  All cells = white EXCEPT a cell with an unconfirmed Q (or an unconfirmed band)could be a light pink?

Thanks as always -- BETTER than starting my coffee in the morning...

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Larry Banks

PS – Now that I am using it, I like the numbers too, better than a W / C.
Larry

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Hi All,

I've been trying to get back to this for the last week, but answering support e-mail has been crazy.

Okay, a couple of you have commented, and I agree, that the colors on the single digits were hard to distinguish, so I am now coloring the cell instead:

This update is reflected in beta 5.8.4 if you would like to give it a try:

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed
Green = unconfirmed

Grahame Emerson

That makes sense. Looks great

Grahame AD6GE

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 13:40

Hi Gang,

Sorry, I'm not planning to have AC Log make your coffee anytime soon (thanks for that entertaining thread and kind words!), but I am working on another little feature that will be available for testing soon.

The idea is to provide a quick way to see what bands and modes you may need an entity on from the main form.  Enter a country in the country field.  Then click anywhere on the country label to display the results.  An example is below.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions on this, now is the time!

Blue = confirmed

Green = unconfirmed

Thanks for chiming in Larry!  Okay.......

Option 1 (Include Red Color)

Option 2 (No Red)

What say you?