Issues with PA QSO Party

kb3co

Paul,
Dave,
Grahame,
Thank you all for your help. It was all very useful.
I simply changed the color to inverting black (since I use the default scheme where the white is the default background color) and enabled the CTRL key finder feature. I am good to go!

73 all,
Charlie
KB3CO

Grahame Emerson

That is good advice I had forgotten. After that I Googled enhance cursor and found out how to do that. I have problems seeing the cursor.
Hit Window key+I
Go to Ease of Access >other options
In the Visual Options part there is a box for cursor thickness
Slide the bar across to your desired thickness.
Just went to ACL and boy, does that help.
Grahame. AD6GE 

On Nov 7, 2016, at 5:00 AM, k4eet@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] <N3FJP_Software_Users@...> wrote:

Charlie,

For Windows 10 (which I have):

1. Press the "Windows Flag" on the keyboard.
2. The second icon from the bottom will be "Settings" and left-click that.
3. Left-click on "Devices."
4. In the left column, left-click on "Mouse and touchpad."
5. At the bottom of the list, left-click on "Additional mouse options."
6. In the Mouse Properties Window, select the third tab - "Pointer Options."
7. Put a check mark in the very last item which reads "Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key.
8. Press "OK." and then exit all of the open windows.
9. Press the "CTRL" key to see the operation...

I hope this helps.

73, Dave Hamm K4EET

Dave Hamm, K4EET

Charlie,

For Windows 10 (which I have):

1. Press the "Windows Flag" on the keyboard.
2. The second icon from the bottom will be "Settings" and left-click that.
3. Left-click on "Devices."
4. In the left column, left-click on "Mouse and touchpad."
5. At the bottom of the list, left-click on "Additional mouse options."
6. In the Mouse Properties Window, select the third tab - "Pointer Options."
7. Put a check mark in the very last item which reads "Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key.
8. Press "OK." and then exit all of the open windows.
9. Press the "CTRL" key to see the operation...

I hope this helps.

73, Dave Hamm K4EET

kb3co

Paul,
That sounds great. How do you enable that feature? I assume that is a Windows feature, correct?

73, Charlie

paulhurm

You might also try the mouse pointer option that allows you to  hit the control key and then it displays a set of concentric circles that home in on the pointer. My wife and I both use it on our "normal" PC just due to general eyesight problems.

The control key is easy to find in the corner on a desktop keyboard. Not having a laptop I don't know if the control key is somewhere other than the corner but on a desktop at least it is easy to find just by feel.

Paul, N8OT

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Brian n3vn@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] <N3FJP_Software_Users@...> wrote:

Charlie,
I have experienced similar issues finding the pointer. Particularly on my laptop while operating NPOTA outside in the daylight.
After seeing your email, I thought there could be something available in control panel for pointer settings.
For color there are different pointer schemes in Mouse Properties. I might try Windows Inverted scheme.
There are also some other pointer options available such as trails.
I'm not saying this is the answer to your question, but it did give me some hope towards the issues I have been experiencing.
Thanks
Brian
N3VN

At 11:21 AM 11/5/2016, you wrote:

Scott,
Thanks for the response and suggestions.
I plead guilty to not being very familiar with all the settings available in your apps. 21st century daily life gets far too much in the way of me having fun.
Even though I do not remember the autofill behavior having any significant impact on us we may actually appreciate the setting you suggested.
Regarding the Active Text Box setting, I am afraid that I misspoke when I made that request. I really meant to comment on the pointer, not the cursor. The cursor is not an issue - it blinks. The issue is when you want to change the active text box u sing the mouse. Yes, I know how to sequence through the list using Tab and -Tab (even this does not work correctly), but my automatic reflex is to get where I want to go by left clicking the mouse. It is hard to do that when you lose the pointer. It would be nice if you had a configuration setting for the pointer color under the Colors and Fonts menuitem.
Having been there myself I understand the difficulty of designing multiple use code. The catch is always the fact that you usually don't fully understand all the requirements of writing it correctly and efficiently until you have already gone fairly far down all the possible roads with it. It is painful when you discover all of the 'I should have done's. I feel for you.
Regarding the CW wildcard, we dealt with the problem just as you suggested - by changing the CW F-key setup. As a fixed station that is an insignificant wor karound. But obviously for a mobile it is a little more impactive. Good luck on having time to fix it.

Best regards,
Charlie
KB3CO

Brian N3VN

Charlie,
I have experienced similar issues finding the pointer. Particularly on my laptop while operating NPOTA outside in the daylight.
After seeing your email, I thought there could be something available in control panel for pointer settings.
For color there are different pointer schemes in Mouse Properties. I might try Windows Inverted scheme.
There are also some other pointer options available such as trails.
I'm not saying this is the answer to your question, but it did give me some hope towards the issues I have been experiencing.
Thanks
Brian
N3VN

At 11:21 AM 11/5/2016, you wrote:

Scott,
I plead guilty to not being very familiar with all the settings available in your apps. 21st century daily life gets far too much in the way of me having fun.
Even though I do not remember the autofill behavior having any significant impact on us we may actually appreciate the setting you suggested.
Regarding the Active Text Box setting, I am afraid that I misspoke when I made that request. I really meant to comment on the pointer, not the cursor. The cursor is not an issue - it blinks. The issue is when you want to change the active text box u sing the mouse. Yes, I know how to sequence through the list using Tab and <Shift>-Tab (even this does not work correctly), but my automatic reflex is to get where I want to go by left clicking the mouse. It is hard to do that when you lose the pointer. It would be nice if you had a configuration setting for the pointer color under the Colors and Fonts menuitem.
Having been there myself I understand the difficulty of designing multiple use code. The catch is always the fact that you usually don't fully understand all the requirements of writing it correctly and efficiently until you have already gone fairly far down all the possible roads with it. It is painful when you discover all of the 'I should have done's. I feel for you.
Regarding the CW wildcard, we dealt with the problem just as you suggested - by changing the CW F-key setup. As a fixed station that is an insignificant wor karound. But obviously for a mobile it is a little more impactive. Good luck on having time to fix it.

Best regards,
Charlie
KB3CO

kb3co

Scott,
I plead guilty to not being very familiar with all the settings available in your apps. 21st century daily life gets far too much in the way of me having fun.
Regarding the Active Text Box setting, I am afraid that I misspoke when I made that request. I really meant to comment on the pointer, not the cursor. The cursor is not an issue - it blinks. The issue is when you want to change the active text box using the mouse. Yes, I know how to sequence through the list using Tab and <Shift>-Tab (even this does not work correctly), but my automatic reflex is to get where I want to go by left clicking the mouse. It is hard to do that when you lose the pointer. It would be nice if you had a configuration setting for the pointer color under the Colors and Fonts menuitem.
Regarding the CW wildcard, we dealt with the problem just as you suggested - by changing the CW F-key setup. As a fixed station that is an insignificant workaround. But obviously for a mobile it is a little more impactive. Good luck on having time to fix it.

Best regards,
Charlie
KB3CO

Fred

Yellow cursor?  Not in my case. I have a bright yellow background. I used to work for a company that determined a bright yellow background with black letters was the most eye catching combination. So that's what I have ACLog set to. Just goes to show you can't make everybody happy. LOL.
Fred K2DFC

---In N3FJP_Software_Users@..., <swalls46@...> wrote :

for the cursor:

go to  Settings----Appearance----colors and fonts-----

and change the ACTIVE TEXT BOX color-----I use bright yellow.

makes it SO EASY to find cursor

good luck,

I do this on all Scott's software-----I really think this should be the default.

Steve  K4ELI

Stephen Walls

for the cursor:

go to  Settings----Appearance----colors and fonts-----

and change the ACTIVE TEXT BOX color-----I use bright yellow.

makes it SO EASY to find cursor

good luck,

I do this on all Scott's software-----I really think this should be the default.

Steve  K4ELI

Scott Davis

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your e-mail and suggestions.  To set the software auto fill to default to county abbreviation rather than name, click Settings > Use Abbreviation to Autofill County.

I know it seems like a small mod, but because of the way my classes are shared among all the programs, not just the QSO party software, changing the CW county wild card to look up the county abbreviation is going to be a big job.  It is one I hope to be able to work on in the next year or so Lord willing, but in the mean time, if I haven't completed it by next fall, go ahead and type your current county abbreviation in the F key string (Press Ctrl W to quickly display the form).

I understand what you are saying about using the same field for multiple values.  It definitely would have been worth considering early on in the rewrite process.  I'm afraid that with about 100 state QSO party programs now complete, that train has left the station.

To easily see where your cursor is, click Settings > Appearance > Colors and Fonts and change the back color of the active text box.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.  I really appreciate it!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJP_Software_Users
Sent: Tue, Nov 1, 2016 10:00 am
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Issues with PA QSO Party

Scott,
I have been using your contest software for a long time now and have always liked it but during the most recent PA QSO party we noticed some issues with it. I have been wanting to send this feedback for some time now but have not had a good opportunity until now.
First, we do not understand why the software evens bothers with the fully spelled out county names. All that matters throughout this contest is the three letter abbreviation - especially for CW operation. In our humble opinions using the fully spelled name at all in the logging program only introduces confusion and opportunity for errors when logging. The biggest problem arises when you use wild cards in the CW function keys. If you use the wildcard for your county the software sends the whole word - not the three letter abbreviation! Now, you may argue until the cows come home whether fully spelled names are a good idea or not but I think everyone would agree that this a bug to send them for a wildcard.
Secondly, we operate mobile. So operating and logging can be a challenge at times when road and/or traffic conditions bounce you around. Two features of your software can easily add errors and frustration to an already difficult situation. Please consider changes for these following features. First feature, the cursor - can you change the color of it to make it easier to find? There are times when you can lose track of it and it can be difficult to find again (white cursor on an almost completely white background) when you are in the heat of running a pileup. Second feature, the section and county entry boxes. As logging works now, you must make a quick decision regarding what box to enter what you just heard from the calling station. If he/she is out of state that is best for you because you can enter his/her QTH in the next box after the call sign. BUT if he/she is in PA you must tab past the section box and enter his/her info into the county box. Again, in the heat of running a pileup one does not want to make that assessment on every QSO and take the appropriate action. Many errors are made because of this extra step in the process. It would be soooo much simpler (and better) if the calling station's QTH could be entered into the same box regardless of whether he/she is in or out of state. The bad thing about making this entry error is that the software goes into "tilt" mode - not only is this startling to me but my first reaction is "what?!!!" because I am certain I entered it correctly. This is very upsetting in the middle of a pileup. And it often prompts the recitation of some very ugly words.

Best regards,
Charlie KB3CO

kb3co

Scott,
I have been using your contest software for a long time now and have always liked it but during the most recent PA QSO party we noticed some issues with it. I have been wanting to send this feedback for some time now but have not had a good opportunity until now.
First, we do not understand why the software evens bothers with the fully spelled out county names. All that matters throughout this contest is the three letter abbreviation - especially for CW operation. In our humble opinions using the fully spelled name at all in the logging program only introduces confusion and opportunity for errors when logging. The biggest problem arises when you use wild cards in the CW function keys. If you use the wildcard for your county the software sends the whole word - not the three letter abbreviation! Now, you may argue until the cows come home whether fully spelled names are a good idea or not but I think everyone would agree that this a bug to send them for a wildcard.
Secondly, we operate mobile. So operating and logging can be a challenge at times when road and/or traffic conditions bounce you around. Two features of your software can easily add errors and frustration to an already difficult situation. Please consider changes for these following features. First feature, the cursor - can you change the color of it to make it easier to find? There are times when you can lose track of it and it can be difficult to find again (white cursor on an almost completely white background) when you are in the heat of running a pileup. Second feature, the section and county entry boxes. As logging works now, you must make a quick decision regarding what box to enter what you just heard from the calling station. If he/she is out of state that is best for you because you can enter his/her QTH in the next box after the call sign. BUT if he/she is in PA you must tab past the section box and enter his/her info into the county box. Again, in the heat of running a pileup one does not want to make that assessment on every QSO and take the appropriate action. Many errors are made because of this extra step in the process. It would be soooo much simpler (and better) if the calling station's QTH could be entered into the same box regardless of whether he/she is in or out of state. The bad thing about making this entry error is that the software goes into "tilt" mode - not only is this startling to me but my first reaction is "what?!!!" because I am certain I entered it correctly. This is very upsetting in the middle of a pileup. And it often prompts the recitation of some very ugly words.

Best regards,
Charlie KB3CO