Staying Connected to DX Spots

Pat Whelton

Hello All.  I recently bought a new PC and placed ACLog back in service.  I’m running v. 5.2 and restored the log from backup.  I ordered new TQSL files from the ARRL and successfully uploaded and downloaded from LoTW.  The new PC is running Windows 7 Pro.  The big problem I’m having now is trying to stay connected to the various Telnet Hosts.  I can stay connected for probably 1/2 an hour and the next time I look at the spotting screen there has been no DX activity for several minutes.  I have to do a cntl-D and reconnect.  This is getting to be a pain the the tookus.  I use to be able to call up ACLog at 6:00 in the morning and remain connected all day until bedtime around 10:00 pm.  I’ve tried different Telnet Hosts VE7CC, DXSPOTS, etc but they all drop me after a short while.

Has anyone recently placed a new system online and experienced this?  What did you do to fix it?

Regards & Best DX,

Pat - KZ5J

Scott Davis

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Since you are experiencing the same behavior with a variety of Telnet hosts, the problem is likely not the Telnet host, but rather intermittent connectivity from your PC to your router, or from your router to your ISP,  This could be caused by the connection itself, or your security software / settings.

[...]

Mark

I have the same problem but I don't recall it being dependent on the software version - have not been able to figure out why this happens.

73
Mark KN7T

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:54 PM, 'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] <N3FJP_Software_Users@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark.  I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the same problem.  What do you do when it happens?  Do you just reconnect 40-50 times a day?

Pat - KZ5J

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:06 PM

[...]

John K9IJ

Make sure you have 3min keep alive checked. If spots are coming slowly many spot servers will disconnect clients if they don't see a 'ping' or ack from the client within 3min.

'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@earthlink.net [N3FJP_Software_Users] wrote:

Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
reconnect 40-50 times a day?
Pat - KZ5J
I have the same problem but I don't recall it being
dependent on the software version - have not been able to
figure out why this happens.
73
Mark KN7T
On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:54 PM, 'Pat Whelton'
pwhelton@earthlink.net <mailto:pwhelton@earthlink.net>
[N3FJP_Software_Users] <N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

__

[...]

However, a large number of electrons were terribly
inconvenienced !

k9ij@pt40.net
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Christopher Scibelli

Same problem here.  I was hoping somebody had a solution.

73,

Chris  NU1O

In a message dated 4/7/2015 4:06:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, N3FJP_Software_Users@... writes:

[...]

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

Hi Chris.  Sorry you are also having a problem staying connected to DXSpots but I’m glad I’m not the only one having this problem.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:27 PM

[...]

Stephen E. Belter

Pat,

I suspect that Scott and John are on the right track to your disconnects.  Something else that will cause this problem is the “aging” of the translation table in your router/firewall.  If the firewall doesn’t see regular activity between your computer and the telnet host, it will remove the entry from the translation table.

You might be able to keep the translation table entry active (depending on the router software) by running a continuous “ping” from your computer to the telnet host.  Open a DOS Command window (run the program “CMD”), then use the ping command with the “-t” switch to ping the telnet host once per second.

Good luck!

73, Steve N9IP
--
Steve Belter, seb@...

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

Hey Steve.  Thanks.  You don’t by any chance know of a utility that will send  a ping to VE7CC with a “-t” switch every second do you?  Also doesn't anyone think it odd that my connection has been 95% OK for the last couple of years and now it’s like do-do?

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

paulhurm

I’m no expert so grain of salt here but…

It seems to me that one way to become unpopular with a site’s owner is to continually ping a site, especially every second. I would think that would put a load on their system that is unnecessary.

Some research I did seems to often point to router etc issues which is something to look at for possible changes, either to it or with the way the OS behaves.

It would seem easily possible that the old OS or other setting had something changed somewhere that has not been done in the new OS.

Since the problem is happening with several spotting sites it is much more likely to be a setup problem with the new PC rather than a problem that just started happening to all the sites at the same time.

JAT.

Paul, N8OT

    paulhurm@...

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

Avast logo

Robert Harmon <k6uj@...>

Hi Gang,

I would also like to find out if there is a utility or a fix for this anomaly.  I have the same issue.
I’m good for approx a half hour 45 min or so before disconnect.  Running Windows 7.
If I run VE7CC by itself it will stay connected all day.

Bob
K6UJ

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

Good luck.  Hope someone helps you.

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

John Welch <ke6k@...>

Me too. Running Windows 7 on one machine and Windows 8.1 on another

John KE6K

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

wb9dlc@...

Hello Bob

If you are already running the VE7CC software then you can turn on the Telnet sharing option under the Configuration tab in the VE7CC software.

Then 'enable Telnet' and leave the port output on Port 7300.

Next, in AC-Log DX Spotting configure set the Telnet Host to 127.0.0.1 and then set the Telnet Port to 7300.

The VE7CC software will then port the DX Spotting data into AC-Log and you shouldn't get any timeouts.

Plus, you gain all the great features of the VE7CC software and filtering.

Good Luck!  73

Mike - wb9dlc
WB9DLC Main Page

Pat Whelton

Good luck John.  I hope you get your issue resolved.

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

John Huber

For those having the telnet disconnect issues with ACLog, but VE7CC (CC User) runs all day, you could do like I do.

I run the VE7CC “CC User” as my ONLY connection to any cluster, ever.  Why? Because of the versatility and ease of configuring filters AND because I can then use that running instance of VE7CC with all my radio software that accesses a cluster and enjoy/exploit the same filtering.

I did NOT implement this solution to solve a staying connected problem.  I hope that those experiencing the issue have not overlooked the ACLog “Enable 3 Min Keep Alive” option on the DX Spotting->Configure window.

On the VE7CC Configuration menu –> Ports/Logging Program, in the Logging Program Connection section (center area), I select “Enable Telnet” and “Use Port 7300”, and APPLY.  Feel free to adjust the “Data Sent to Logging Program” selections for your operating preferences.

Then, in ACLog, in “Settings->DX spotting->Configure”, select the Data Source “Telnet Host” (probably already selected).  Then set the “Telnet Host” to “127.0.0.1” (the loop back address for the PC on which you are running ACLog AND VE7CC), and the “Telnet Port:” to 7300.  Enable DX Spotting and now your spots are filtered by VE7CC.  With this setup I do NOT have the ACLog “Enable 3 Min Keep Alive” checked.

I have tested on my home network with running ACLog on a separate PC from the one running VE7CC.  It works just fine.  Configuration of ACLog is the same EXCEPT for the Telnet Host.  You must supply either the IP address, or host/computer network name, of the system running VE7CC.

For reference my VE7CC and ACLog pc is running Win 7 Pro, and I tested ACLog from a laptop running Vista.
I also tested with a copy of the Michigan QSO Party program too.

I also have connected my N1MM+ to the VE7CC instance with no issues.  Even both ACLog and N1MM+ at the same time! Obviously, only one program can control the radio at a time and that’s okay. I did it mostly as a proof of concept, and to be able to reference things in my ACLog occasionally in the midst of some contest.

I hope this helps at least one those with the “not staying connected” issue.

73,  John / N8FYL

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 19:28

Good luck.  Hope someone helps you.

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

Pat and Paul,

The utility is called “ping”, and from the DOS command prompt “C>" you’d type:
ping dxc.ve7cc.net –t

The load is negligible, but in this case academic because the dxc.ve7cc.net firewall is blocking pings.

Have you replaced your router/firewall recently?  If so, I’d look at the timeouts on it.

You said you upgraded your computer.  Is that when the problem started?  If so, look hard at the Windows 7 firewall settings.

Good luck!

73, Steve N9IP
--
Steve Belter, seb@...

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:44 PM

Pat,

I suspect that Scott and John are on the right track to your disconnects.  Something else that will cause this proble! m is the “aging” of the translation table in your router/firewall.  If the firewall doesn’t see regular activity between your computer and the telnet host, it will remove the entry from the translation table.

You might be able to keep the translation table entry active (depending on the router software) by running a continuous “ping” from your computer to the telnet host.  Open a DOS Command window (run the program “CMD”), then use the ping command with the “-t” switch to ping the telnet host once per second.

Good luck!

 !

73, Steve N9IP

--

Steve Belter, seb@...

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_S! of tware_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tri! ed that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

Thats great information !

thanks Mike !

Bob
K6UJ

On Apr 7, 2015, at 5:30 PM, wb9dlc@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] <N3FJP_Software_Users@...> wrote:

Hello Bob

If you are already running the VE7CC software then you can turn on the Telnet sharing option under the Configuration tab in the VE7CC software.

Then 'enable Telnet' and leave the port output on Port 7300.

Next, in AC-Log DX Spotting configure set the Telnet Host to 127.0.0.1 and then set the Telnet Port to 7300.

The VE7CC software will then port the DX Spotting data into AC-Log and you shouldn't get any timeouts.

Plus, you gain all the great features of the VE7CC software and filtering.

Good Luck!  73

Mike - wb9dlc
WB9DLC Main Page

Richards

Not a criticism... just a question:

How do you know it is not a fault caused by a bad connection or some action taken by your service provider?

/./