Can't get ACLog to read freq & mode

k9plx@...

Greetings to the group.
I'm a long-time user of ACLog who has just purchased the cable to connect my rig so I can read the frequency and mode directly into the log. I've tried everything I can think of and so far am unsuccessful; I could sure use some suggestions.

The setup: PC is an older model IBM ThinkPad laptop Pentium II running Windows XP Professional. Rig is Icom IC706MarkIIG. I have the cable from W1GEE and it is connected to the serial port of the PC and the remote jack on the back of the 706.

In the Interface Setup window of ACLog, I have set to Comm Port 1, 19.2 baud (the rig is also set to 19.2), connection power to DTR (I've also tried RTS). I've set the string to read frequency to "FE FE 58 E0 03 FD" and the string to read the mode to "FE FE 58 E0 04 FD" (values come from the 706's manual). Having no idea what the other values should be, I've tried them all, I think.

The response is always "No Response" in the Frequency window, either "No Response" or nothing at all in the Mode window, and a running string of garbage, which changes as I change the tuning dial on the rig, in the "Unprocessed data returned" window.

Does any other Icom owner have any hints for me?

Thanks,
Chuck, K9PLX

Scott Davis

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I have had good reports from other IC706 MarkIIG users so I'm sure it is just a matter of getting the com settings right.  If any Icom users have the specifics for Chuck I'd sure appreciate it if you could pass them along.

73,

Scott, N3FJP
snkdavis@...
www.n3fjp.com

Serving the Amateur Radio Community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

In a message dated 7/25/2003 11:26:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, k9plx@... writes:

[...]

Edward Leicester <kg4qmi@...>

I see in the list of rigs that the IC-736 is not listed. Does anyone know if it will work?

Ed/kg4qmi

------------------------------------
Edward Leicester
Reg. 1 Director
North Carolina Baptist Men
-----------------------------------
EC-Perq. County, Area 1
NC-ARES
Hertford NC
252-426-7246
KG4QMI/FM16
http://home.earthlink.net/~kg4qmi

[...]

Hi Ed,

So far, the same Icom string selection has worked with all Icom
rigs. I haven't had a report specifically on the 736 but it should
work. Just select Icom from the rig options.

Chuck, I did some digging through my notes and found a report of
working settings for the IC 706 MK II G with my software.

The settings are:

Baud rate: 19.2K
Parity: None
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Power Selected: DTR (that will depend on your interface)

I hope this helps. Please let me know how you make out.

73,

Scott, N3FJP
snkdavis@aol.com
www.n3fjp.com

Serving the Amateur Radio Community with general logging and
contesting software since 1997.

--- In N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Leicester"
<kg4qmi@e...> wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.

Steven Blary <sblary@...>

Chuck,

My radio and manual is packed away at the moment -- I'm operating portable this
evening during the IOTA contest from Hutchinson Island NA-141. So I can't look
up the specifics at the moment. However if my memory is correct all of those
settings seem fine. the actual values of the string data may be off however
the radio ID - 58 seems right. I would confirm that setting in the radio's
menus to be sure but I believe that 58 is the 706's default (I think AClog
defaults to 56) DTR was the proper setting for me as well.

Hopefully you will have it resolved by tomarrow however if you don't let me
know and I'll confirm my settings ...

Good Luck and 73's
Steve Blary, N1XC

P.S. Listen for me on 20 meters SSB for the IOTA contest I should be on the
air by 6pm eastern.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

JAMES MOLLICA <jim@...>

Hello Chuck. Had the same problem with my 706mk 2.
If I remember right I used 4800 N81 with 50 (IC756) in both strings and RTS.
Some of the other Icom codes also worked but fell apart on 50mhz or no mode
reading. I will check again when I get to the home qth.
73, Jim N2NRD.
P.S. I also set the polling rate at .5sec and the radio on "auto baud
detect."