Re: Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Scott Davis

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your great report!  I continue to test here with 3 different monitors, including one 4K, and have tried just about every combination of my monitor supported resolutions.  All continues to work very well.

I do want to give thought to the network form, but that one is going to be tricky.  My son lives next door and we use the same antenna farm, so while we don't use the message feature much, I do size down the form to only display the bands, like this, so I can make sure we don't overlap:

Capture.JPG

So, if I added the form size code as is, the whole form would scale down, but display the part I don't need to see.  I need to give thought to how I can scale and still support both use cases, without generating a lot of support e-mail questions.

Thoughts welcome!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: Snkdavis <snkdavis@...>
Sent: Wed, Mar 10, 2021 11:38 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Scott, 
Tested the newest beta version of ACLOG.  I can now put the logger at roughly 1/7th the size of a 4K monitor  on the Windows 7 machine and with increased label font size and log font size, it is totally usable.   SWEEEEEET!
Works fine on W10 as well.
Double clicking on the title bar brings the logger back to full size.   This is working great now.

I did not check the LOTW screen.

Could I put a request in to add the same code to the NETWORK / CHAT pane that you have when you run multiple clients networked together?   
Many FD sites and contest sites (including mine) run this pane open  in the background so we know what bands the others stations are on, and use the messaging feature A LOT to notify when folks are changing ops, when a station looking for you is moving to work you on another band, when the food arrives, etc,  However, when any message is sent to all stations that network / chat screen pops up "full screen" and blocks the view of anything else on the monitor, which is very problematic when a station is on a run.  The operator has to stop working stations, click out of the network screen to go back to the logger. Once in a while it is not a big deal... but, what usually happens is the stations on the lower bands get bored and start chatting back and forth via your network/chat page.  This forces the guys on the higher bands (with more activity) to have to constantly move away from the logger, minimize the chat window, then back to the logger as the chat messages pop in .. bing, bing, bing, bing.. It gets annoying fast.    If the chat / network screen could have this same sizing code it could be sized smaller to fit NEXT to the logger and not take over the whole screen for each and every message update.  Everyone could still see the messages, but not have the pane take over the whole screen.

That would be totally awesome.

- Jay N1AV

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 9:14 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts.  This one will fall in the can't please everyone pile.  Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but sizing on height only solves many problems and anomalies that trying to size on combined area introduces.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Mar 9, 2021 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Well, since you're asking i will add my 2 cents.  I have tried 6.8.5.1 and 6.8.5.2
I have a pretty plain jane setup, 2 monitors set at 1920 X 1080 on one PC and a laptop with a 1920 X1080 display.  
I prefer the 6.8.5.1 method that changes the font based on the width, not the .2 version which uses a height scaling.  

Jim KG2H

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.