locked Re: Off Topic: Protecting our Frequencies & Our Country

Tom Ryan

What is a discord channel??

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 8:40:45 AM PST, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

Also keep in mind that people using radios inappropriately may likely be
using ANY frequency. In fact, the chances of them using "standard"
frequencies is less likely than using "random" frequencies. If they were
cognizant of standard ham simplex or other channels, they probably would
avoid them. Also, remember band plans vary around the country, so the
simplex frequencies listed below may not apply in your area.

We have found "bootleggers" on various unexpected frequencies in our
area. For example, there is a group of Spanish speakers using the output
frequency of a distant 440 ham repeater using low power handhelds.
Another group was found on 146.555. Cheap readily available radios
(Baofengs, etc.) come with a bunch of ham and non-ham frequencies
programmed "out of the box". We often find people using these channels
for various communications. Inland areas often find people using marine
radios for improper communications. (Very common in mid-west farming
areas far from water.)

If you are interested in looking for these, I suggest using the
"band-scan" feature of most scanners by inputting a low and high
frequency and scanning everything in between. Again, as previously
mentioned, programmable analog scanners are often found cheaply on the
used market. Receive only systems are much more forgiving, so I have a
25-1300 MHz discone antenna on the roof feeding an amplified wide range
multicoupler designed for 75 ohm TV distribution feeding several
scanners and SDR dongle receivers to monitor a wide variety of services
and frequencies.

Michael WA7SKG