Re: Backup and restore

Dennis Younker NE6I

Don,

One plus to backing up to OneDrive is that it is a cloud service. Thus, if heaven forbid your house should burn down, your PC, external drives, thumb drives, etc. are likely to be turned to ashes. However, you will be able to restore from OneDrive once you get up and operational again.

Alternatively, you could back up to a separate folder on your hard drive (or SSD) and make sure that OneDrive is syncing with that folder. Thus you will have a local backup AND a cloud backup. This of course can’t be done with a thumb drive.

On the other hand, if you back up to a thumb drive, you will be mostly or completely protected if a virus or malware gets to your internal hard drive (or SSD).

Perhaps an even more reliable backup system is to pick your spot to have ACLog do its regular backups (upon exit) AND periodically back up to an external source, whether an external drive, thumb drive or OneDrive. You can do this manually by clicking File, Export ADIF, Whole Log. Do the manual backup periodically but on a regular basis, and do so religiously. How often you do it should be driven by how many QSOs per day you make and how comfortable you are in the case of loss of your primary backup. For example, you could manually back up weekly, monthly or quarterly if you are comfortable with one of those.

I’m sure we all have our PC failure horror stories. I’ve twice lost hard drives in the past 20 years but I do weekly hard drive images, so I don’t lose a ton of things if I lose a drive. I always image (backup) to an external drive so that viruses and malware can’t get to my backup (that statement is generally true but there are certain scenarios where that wouldn’t be true).

I export the entire log to OneDrive quarterly. I have ACLog set to do its regular backups to a folder on my hard drive. All in all, I feel pretty protected.

My horror story is that one night a car hit a nearby power pole. There was a big surge in electricity that hit my house. And the power to the house went down for many hours until the utility company could put in a new pole and retore power. That next morning, my PC would not boot up. So I began troubleshooting by replacing components one at a time. In the end, my PC power supply, my CPU, my motherboard, my RAM, and my hard drive were all toast. Only my case and CD drive survived. I wound up building a new PC and restoring from my external drive (which I only connect long enough to do backups), including thousands of family and personal pictures, all of my data files, and thankfully my ACLog file. I lost only a few QSOs in this case and I was able to retrieve those by looking at ARRL LOTW and re-inputting the missing Q’s. Whew!

Be structured and be religious about your backups.

73, Dennis NE6I