File Backup

Steve KS4KJ

I just read Scott's email about potential file loss and the backup function within ACLog. I thought I would mention the solution I use on all computers here at my house. Scott is right in that there are many perils to data that exist and the biggest one is that it isn't IF a hard drive will fail it is WHEN will it fail. Some last for many years and some don't but the truth is that all hard drives will fail at some point and that includes SSDs as they have a finite number of read/write cycles until they too are prone to failure. I've been using Acronis True Image to backup my important drives for many years. I make an image of my drives which makes recovery hast and pretty painless. There are also other programs that will backup drives on a scheduled basis. There's even a backup option within Windows itself (not a particularly full featured one but it's there). There are cloud options but I like having a local solution as it makes recovery a lot faster. Both together would make losing data close to impossible! When the first drive I've had fail I was lucky in that I didn't loose a lot of irreplaceable stuff. But it still was a pain. As the years have gone by I've accumulated many gigs of photos and music files. Since we live in a digital world where you don't have negatives sitting in a drawer when you lose data it's gone forever. So think about backing up your computer regularly as you certainly don't want to lose the records of all your QSOs nor anything else you really treasure.

Steve KS4KJ