Thanks for your follow up.  I would set up my strings this way for CQ WPX:

Running:

F!:  TEST N3FJP
F2:  $ * #
F3:  TU N3FJP

Search & Pounce:

F4:  N3FJP
F5:  TU * #

In this case, when running a frequency, you would pres F1 to call CQ, Tab to send the F2 exchange and then Enter to send the F3 exchange and simultaneously enter the contact (note the serial has already been sent when tabbing).

For search and pounce, it would not be appropriate to associate the TU with pressing enter, as the running station has not yet acknowledged your reply.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jun 1, 2020 2:42 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Logging CQ WPX CW

Scott,

Okay, it sends the correct sequence number if you use F3 directly and NOT the ENTER key as described below.  If you run the sequence and use ENTER instead of F3 it sends the next higher sequence number.

I was doing it as shown in the window for CW settings.

"To enable the Tab Sends Message (TSM) option, press Ctrl + Shift + G from the main form.  With TSM enabled, when you tab from the Call field, the F2 string will be sent.  When you press enter, the F3 string will be sent."

My F2 string was:  K0YA
My F3 string was:  TU 5NN #.

That is really slick because you can run a complete contact and log it with only 2 key strokes after you enter the call (and you can concentrate on getting their R# correct!).  That is why I like the TSM option.

So, if I want to use the TSM option, how do I get around the fact that it is going to send the contents of F3 whether or not I hit F3 prior to the ENTER key to log the contact?  I guess I would leave F3 empty and use a different F Key (ie. F4) for the exchange info??  It adds another key stroke to the sequence though.

Tom Hauer, K0YA
HLARC ARES EC
319 551-9788
PO Box 1522 (mailing ADR)
11700 E FM 1431 R37
Marble Falls, Tx 78654
EM00wn
Latitude:  30.568805
Longitude:  -98.140287

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 1:14 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your follow up.  You should not press enter until after you have competed the QSO.  Instead of pressing enter to send, press the appropriate F key to send the serial.  Only press enter to log the QSO after it has been completed.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Mon, Jun 1, 2020 2:06 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Logging CQ WPX CW

image.png

Scott,

Here is my screen.  As you can see in this shot 39 has been logged and 40 should be the next number logged.  That is what the log will show but - - when I pressed ENTER the SW sent 40 for the log entry that has 39 in it.  When I press enter again, it will log 40 but send 41. I messed up at the beginning so there is no #S 1 or 2 in the log.  REC #1 is #S 003 and so forth to the entries you see on the screen shot.  I know i messed up in the beginning but can't figure out why I am sending a sequence number one higher than I am logging??

I had a Red Cross drill and a number of other items on the calendar so didn't get to spend a lot of time on the contest.  But, I did want to check out the WinKeyer interface and the keyboard entries.  It is really slick and very fast, just have to figure out what I did wrong with the numbering!!

Thanks so much for your help.

Tom Hauer, K0YA
HLARC ARES EC
319 551-9788
11700 E FM 1431 R37
Marble Falls, Tx 78654
EM00wn

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 2:10 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Here is a current screen shot of my log:

Capture.JPG

The last station I worked was F6IRA, Rec 350, which also happens to be QSO 350 (but doesn't have to be).

I am about to work UD4F, which I will send 351.  

Again, remember, your record number and number sent may not be the same if you deleted or edited a QSO.

If your set up is not behaving similarly, please send a screen shot along.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:37 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Logging CQ WPX CW

I am using automated keying for the contest, it is set up in settings under CW settings.  I am using a WinKeyer interface to my rig and the # as instructed for the serial number in the keying sequence ( ie. TU 5NN #  in the F3 position).  It is sending one number higher than it is actually logging in #S.  If I try to correct the log it still sends one number higher than it logs no matter what I do. 

The number shown at the bottom of the screen, for the next contact is the number it sends but the log enters one number less - no matter what I do!!

Oh, I am using TAB and ENTER to execute F2 and F3 - so if I do a search and pounce I enter the call, hit TAB (sends F2, my call) Tab again over to #R, enter the number I receive and hit ENTER to log the call and send the contents of F3.

Any ideas?  All my #S in the log appear one lower than actually sent!!

Tom Hauer, K0YA
HLARC ARES EC
319 551-9788
11700 E FM 1431 R37
Marble Falls, Tx 78654
EM00wn

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.