Re: dumping a copy of old file

Scott Davis

Hi Ray, 

AC Log 3.4 and earlier can coexist on the same PC with AC Log 4.0 and later.  If you have a 3X or earlier version, you will have to uninstall that first.  On the other hand, just use your existing 3X version to open the .bak file.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 3:00 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file

On 26 May 2020 at 18:50, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

The installer seems to different with you.  It tells me I have a version installed.

> Hi Ray,
> No, don't uninstall your current version.  You can also install 3.4.
> Enjoy!
>
> 73, ScottN3FJPhttp://www.n3fjp.com
> Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: kb9lgs <raytodd@...>
> To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
> Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 2:38 pm
> Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file
>
> On 26 May 2020 at 16:30, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
>
> The problem is that to install the old version I first apparently have to completely uninstall and
> delete the new stuff.  Kind of leary to do that.
>
> > Hi Ray,
> > You may have missed my previous reply.  This addresses that:
> > https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers/message/41867
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > 73, ScottN3FJPhttp://www.n3fjp.com
> > Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
> > 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: kb9lgs <raytodd@...>
> > To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
> > Cc: ny4o.ham@...
> > Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 11:49 am
> > Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] dumping a copy of old file
> >
> > On 26 May 2020 at 9:54, Weldon Wheat wrote:
> >
> > OK not as specific as I should be.  The main file for the old version got destroyed.  And the
> > backup system had somehow marked it as a system file that didn't need to be backed up. 
> > So the external back up was what was not working, not the backups within the program.  But
> > you also hit on what I found.   
> >
> > As I said I thought that I had lost the data for good.  After all I had no copies of the main log
> > file anymore.  I had just gone on to try and start again.  Grabbed some saved source
> > material that I had dumped into the log over the years.  And started over with the new
> > version.  I had completely forgot about the backup files that the software maintains.  Those
> > had been working and working well so it looks like I have a bunch of the old data in .BAK
> > files.  I am in hopes that the stuff I am missing is there.  But this was from an old version
> > from back before the major rewrite.  As the web site says the file formats between the two
> > are not the same. 
> >
> > So trying to see if I can find out how to take the old files from the old version and read them. 
> > Then put them in a format I can import into the log program. 
> >
> > And yes working on making sure my new external backup is actually backing up things. 
> >
> >
> > --
> > Ray Todd Stevens    Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
> > Senior Consultant      Stevens Services                                           
> > raytodd@...
> > 308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
> > Bedford, IN 47421
> >
> > Thought for the day:
> >     Bagpipes (n): an octopus wearing a kilt.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> > https://www.avg.com
> >
>
>
> --
> Ray Todd Stevens    Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
> Senior Consultant      Stevens Services                                 
> raytodd@...
> 308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
> Bedford, IN 47421
>
> Thought for the day:
>     Book (n): a utensil used to pass time while waiting
>     for the TV repairman.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> https://www.avg.com
>

--
Ray Todd Stevens    Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant      Stevens Services                                 
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    Book (n): a utensil used to pass time while waiting
    for the TV repairman.

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.