Re: LOTW issue

kc6mie

Then that is the issue.  I'm running XP but will be running Win 10 soon on new desktop.
Thanks,
S.

-----------------------------------------

To: "N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday May 13 2020 2:50:47PM
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] LOTW issue

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your follow up.  There is nothing on AC Log's LoTW form that would preclude you from typing in the password field.

And yes, your OS must be Win 7 or later.  Details on that are here:

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: 'N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io' <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, May 13, 2020 5:45 pm

I tried to change the password twice but it would not let me.  I followed the directions.  One last question.  Last year when I changed to AC log, you told me there might be a problem with downloading because I'm using XP.  I just thought of that but cannot remember the context to the issue at that time.
S.

-----------------------------------------
To: "N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday May 13 2020 12:31:44PM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your follow up,  The reason you can upload, but not download is explained on the FAQ I sent in my previous reply.  Here is the full text from that FAQ, that include detailed trouble shooting steps:

Your TQSL software actually does the upload, so it is not surprising that uploads can work when downloads won't, since your user name and password values are only referenced when downloading. In 99.99% of cases, the problem is that you have mistyped your LoTW user name or password (typically the values you use when signing in to LoTW on line).
It is very common for folks to emphatically assure me that they have typed their LoTW user name and password in correctly, only to discover, after trading multiple e-mails, that they did not enter correct values after all. It could be a mistyped character, the wrong case, or even just a leading or trailing space in the field. If you aren't sure of your LoTW password, please correct that here.

Unless something external to AC Log is blocking the download, everything related to downloading from LoTW is on the LoTW form. Please try clearing out your existing user name and password values and then carefully type them in again. Also please be aware that ARRL made a change in September, 2016 that now enforces case sensitivity.
Be sure to select an LoTW password that only uses letters and numbers. Stay away from special characters such as (@, !, #, etc).

If that doesn't correct the problem, please try this:

On the LoTW form, select the option to display raw data and try a download. A successful download will look like this:

ARRL Logbook of the World Status Report
Generated at 2016-03-19 19:50:01
for n3fjp
Query:
QSORX SINCE: 2016-03-18 00:00:00
LoTW
<APP_LoTW_LASTQSORX:19>2016-03-18 22:28:56
<APP_LoTW_NUMREC:1>3
<eoh>
<CALL:5>C6ANM
<BAND:3>12M
<FREQ:8>24.90210
<MODE:2>CW
<APP_LoTW_MODEGROUP:2>CW
<QSO_DATE:8>20160318
<TIME_ON:6>202200
<QSL_RCVD:1>Y
<QSLRDATE:8>20160318
<DXCC:2>60
<COUNTRY:7>BAHAMAS
<APP_LoTW_DXCC_ENTITY_STATUS:7>Current
<PFX:2>C6
<APP_LoTW_2xQSL:1>Y
<CQZ:1>8
<ITUZ:2>11
<IOTA:6>NA-001
<GRIDSQUARE:4>FL15
<eor>

If you don't see something like the above, but rather web page HTML, the most likely cause is that your LoTW user name and / or LoTW password are incorrectly entered. Correcting the information entered as detailed in Steps 1 and 2 here will do the trick (also, make sure you don't have any leading or trailing spaces in your user name or password).

If that doesn't correct the problem, carefully follow all the remaining steps detailed here. Steps 1 through 6 are the only LoTW download related settings in my software. There is nothing else to change or check.

If you are still having trouble, something external to AC Log is at play. The most likely possibility is that your Internet protection software is blocking AC Log from accessing LoTW. Giving AC Log the proper permissions in your Internet protection software will correct that.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, May 13, 2020 2:44 pm

I did check display raw data box and still getting error message.  I also confirmed my log and password are correct, why would it let me upload to LoTW (contacts are there) but error when downloading?

Stephen Spencer

On May 13, 2020, at 10:49 AM, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  I just did a download here and the records came down fine.

Click the option to Display Raw Data on AC Log's LoTW form, so you can trouble shoot as detailed here:

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: 'n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io' <n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, May 13, 2020 1:44 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] LOTW issue

Yesterday I uploaded my log  and today I went to the lotw page and the contacts are there.  When I tried to download to AC log, I get this message "Error Retrieving Web Data"  
The LoTW Server didn't respond correctly.  The LoTW service may be down, or your user name and password aren't entered correctly.  After checking ARRL's LoTW page to verify LoTW is up and running, make sure that your user name and password are properly entered and that there aren't any leading or trailing spaces.

I was able to log into Lotw ok and see my contacts.  I checked my user name and password, all ok there.  I'll check again later this afternoon in case they are doing maintenance or if you suggest something else let me know.   

Thanks,
Stephen kc6mie

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.