Re: Got Processor Working

Scott Davis

Hi Andrew,

Excellent, excellent, thanks so much for your great post.  A super explanation with lots of useful insights!

I would only add, regarding using the processor, for many clubs who contest throughout the year (as we do as well), that the Club Score Processor includes date and title field screeners, to filter out logs uploaded in previous contests, that aren't participating in the current event.

For example, only putting WPX in the title substring and a date of 2020/03/22 was all that was necessary to only have folks scores, who were playing in CQ WPX SSB to be properly processed, without older uploads properly being ignored.

Dave, one other point.  Go ahead and do an upload from the Field Day software from your station as well.  You will see that your file will be updated every 3 minutes by default on the site.  Your previous data is overwritten with your current data, which the processor grabs as it creates its constant updates.  Once you see what is happening, you will get it.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Apr 30, 2020 1:16 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Got Processor Working

Hi Dave,
I see that Scott responded to your message.  Perhaps I can add a couple of thoughts to what has been said.

As I see it, the purpose of the Club Score Processor is to provide a tool for building excitement and enthusiasm among club members.  One of the clubs to which I belong encourages its members to set up challenge goals at the start of each contest.  For example, I might give myself a goal of doing 10% better than my friend who lives across town.   

Each member of your club who has a station and a logging PC will activate and configure the Web Score Reporting component in the Settings area of the N3FJP Software for that contest.
One Administrative person will installs and configure the Club Score Reporting software at some central location where administrative type activities take place in your club.

In my case, I have one PC sitting in front of my rig that I use for contest logging.  I have a second PC sitting in my home-office where I maintain the club website.  This second PC is running a copy of the Club Score Reporter.

Please Note:  There are some processes and settings that may need to be coordinated between the individual contest logging PCs and the central Club Score Reporting PC.  For example, if you have a busy contest-oriented club that will be using this feature "every weekend" then you most likely will want to create ways of differentiating the files for "Contest A" from the files for "Contest B".  On the other hand, if you envision the Club Score Reporter as a once-a-year Field Day Reporting Tool then the coordination can be at a much lower level.

When everything is up and running your individual contest logging PCs are going to create an html file containing the number of contacts, number of points, contact rate for the past 20 minutes, contact rate for the past 60 minutes, and a few additional summary statistics.  From time to tome, a fresh version of this html file will be uploaded to the central location specified in that station's settings.

In parallel, the Club Score Reporting application will go out to the central location where it checks for files.  Each of the html files that are found in the callsign list will be read and processed to extract the score information.  When all the matching html files have been processed, the Club Score Reporting application will create one consolidated html file and FTP that file to the website location you specify in the Club Score Reporting configuration.

Your website guru may wish to create a webpage that links to the file that the Club Score Reporting app is going to upload.  Or, you can share the URL with your club members and they can type (or paste) that address into their browser whenever they have the urge to see how everyone is doing.

I want to clarify something that may not be well known.  All the contest logging takes place using the traditional N3FJP software that runs at each place your club is operating a contest station.  Any dupe checking that your club wishes to perform uses the contest log at that single location.  (If you have several stations set up at a given location, and if the logging PCs at that location are connected by LAN, then the logs from those PCs would be combined.)  

The Club Score Processor does not combine multiple individual station logs into a single big Club Totals log .  What the Club Score Processor does is to combine the numeric scores from individual stations to make a nice summarized report of "How Are We Doing?".    

I have the process set up and running as a demonstration for my club.  However, all the work takes place in a private Members Area.

Andrew Forsyth,   AF3I   
Cumberland Amateur Radio Club --- www.RadioClub-CARC.com

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.