Remove duplicates

Hello, i've looked through a bunch of topics on removing duplicate contacts and can't find an answer to my problem.
I see that i have over 200 duplicate contacts in my log. It started out at about 40 and everytime i try to remove them the number increases. When i come across them in my log i delete them manually, but if i try to do from the menu that's when they increase. The only way i find them is if i happen upon them if im making another contact with that person. Is there a way to fix this or i just have to let it be? I tried from the file menu but it doesn't work .
                                                      Thanks so much for your help and time.  Charlie  W3CWT