Re: Field Day Question

Ken Bell

Hi

Our club has just done a *preliminary* test along these lines.   3 of us tested using  a common shared 'Dropbox' DB for logging on the FL QSO party package from our multiple home locations.  Our FL QSO plan is to run a single radio at a time, so we would have a single operator entering data from his home at a time and coordinate by text (MS Teams) when each operator starts his shift and is allowed to enter records. Our hope is that all could view the data at any given time.

Our first test had each of us enter 10 records at the same time into the FL QSO package with the DB on a shared Dropbox. Tests showed that if we enter at the same or nearly the same time, records *WILL* be over written.  This was  expected, since Scott's software has the primary key on the record number and each separate instance of N3FJP has what it thinks is the current primary key number. When it writes to an existing record with that number in the shared DB it over writes the record. A big mess.....    HOWEVER, we found that if only one person at a time added/changed records, the others could *VIEW ONLY*  the progress in near realtime and the DB would remain intact and would continue to work.

This is for our test case only and obviously cannot be responsible for your results, which could be very different.  Bear in mind that Microsoft reminds you that Access (and it's runtime versions) is a single user DB and recommends using a real multiuser DB like SQL server on the backend, which would require a re-write of N3FJP.  Dropbox also has warnings against doing this very thing.

A suggested approach by MS, using Access, is to split the DB, which Scott has successfully done with his Network feature on WFD and other packages.  This is where a single server collects the data from various FD clients on a *local* network and administers the DB on the server. Our home network routers keep his Network feature from working across the Internet.  It *might* be possible, I believe, w
ith a fairly simple router software change to a single router, to make this work across the Internet.  Different router vendors call it different things in their setup, but if the router in front of the server were to be set to port forward incoming port 1000 traffic to the server's local IP address and the remote clients FD software, using N3FJP's Network feature, TCP/IP as the method, and set the IP address to the  public address of the ROUTER in front of the server..... who knows.   I believe I may suggest our club test this.

--
Ken - K4EES