Re: DX ALerts

Pat Whelton

Now it makes sense.  Thanks again Larry.  I need to remember what Mother Terisita told me 70 plus years ago in Parochial School about trying to make sense of what you read.

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Banks via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 11:56 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] DX ALerts

Hi Pat,

In this case the term “current band” refers to the band the station is on, not the band that you are on.   (There is only so much space for the label.)

Larry / W1DYJ

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 12:10

I’ll be darned.  It does work.  A spot just showed up for the Maldives on 20 meters even though I have it confirmed on 12 meters.

That’s great!!!  Thanks Larry and Scott.  That will definitely come in handy.

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Whelton
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 10:50 AM

Hi Scott.  OK, I’ve changed it to “Alert if New on Current Band” but that doesn’t make much sense to me.  In other words if I’m currently sitting on 20 and I have the country confirmed on all bands but 40 and this country shows up on 40 (even though I’m on 20) I will get an alert?

I’ve made the change.  We will see.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 9:40 AM

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Larry's suggestion is correct (it's not dependent on your current band).  Try it, you'll see.

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Feb 24, 2020 9:33 am

Hey Larry.  Great suggestion.  The only problem is if I’m on 20 and something I need comes on 80 I’ll never hear the alert.  Also if I’m on CW (the current mode) and something comes on SSB (which I rarely use but will if it’s a new one) I won’t hear that alert either.

Unless I don’t understand how your suggestion works.

Anyway thanks for your input.

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Banks via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 8:28 AM

Hi Pat,

Just use one of the other settings, like “alert if new on current band” and/or “current mode.”

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 9:09

Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] DX ALerts

Under Settings I have “New Contact & QSL Alert Option” checked to “Alert When New”.  This has been working great for many years.  Only problem is it rarely goes off any more.  Is there a setting for “New to a Band I haven’t Worked This Country On Before”?

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.