Re: NAQP Software issue #naqp #contest

Scott Davis

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.  

Ed is right, there is a hardware / OS / driver and / or RFI setting at the crux of what is causing your problem.

If there were a problem with the software, many others would also be reporting it.  There have been no major changes to the rig interface code in years, so anything generic would have come to light long before now.  

I routinely leave the computer polling for up to 14 hours a day, every day and up to 48 hours on contest weekends.  That is true of many of my users.  I've not ever experienced what you describe and I've not had any similar reports (that didn't wind up being traced to a hardware setting, such as the one Ed described).

Thanks for chiming in with your good suggestions Ed!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Feb 16, 2020 1:15 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] NAQP Software issue #NAQP #contest

Ken,

Your USB port may be going to sleep depending upon the polling speed you are using.   Have you checked to see whether Windows has checked the Power Management tab in the UART port created for the IC-7300?  Mine was causing a lot of havoc until I unchecked the boxes on the device tab. 

The 7300 must be powered on.  Then go to Device Manager; Ports;, then select the Port connected to the USB cable.  Select the Power Management Tab and clear all checked boxes.

Ed, W0VC 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:36 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] NAQP Software issue #NAQP #contest

Hi Scott

I'm resurrecting this issue, since I have more info.  The original problem was that the software would stop updating frequency (and thus band). I have an IC-7300 and a W-10 new notebook computer. I'm running your latest everything. My system is patched to the lates.  You suggested RFI in the shack and possibly bad USB cables.  I changed to new USB cables with ferrite beads.  I've have chased, but find no other evidence of RF in the shack.   I use ACLog almost daily. I haven't had a problem with it. 

I operated at WFD recently and had the problem again after operating for a few of hours. I was at the end of my shift, so I shutdown and didn't investigate.   Yesterday, I operated on the ARRL Int CW contest for about 7 hours.   Like NAQP, and WFD the rig ran fine when I started.  After about 7 hours I started having the problem, so I decided  to investigate. I rearranged my USB cables, etc. No joy.  Swapped cables, no joy. Swapped USB cable locations on the PC. No joy.  Sending still worked fine.  
I could always get it to run properly when I went to the Rig Interface page and clicked the 'Poll' button. I noticed that the amount of data in the windows would grow to almost fill the window occasionally. Sometimes the interface would stop running.  Later, it would only reset to the current frequency when hitting the Poll button, then that would hang.  I was about tired of S&P, so I decided to do some extra testing. 

- Happens while listening and after some time, would hang almost instantly.
 - Tried changine timing and other settings, but nothing would keep it running.
 - USB Cables are new with beads, moved cables physically, change ports, swapped cables. 
 - Instantly repeatable. It dies right away. 
 - To restart, click on the 'Poll' button and it updates to the current frequency immediately. 
 - Data stream in the Interface windows show very long strings regularly.  I don't remember seeing this many characters when it is running. 
 - Have not had this problem running ACLog.....   so.....  stopped and switched to ACLog and.....
 - With nothing else changed, ACLog worked just fine, as it always does.  Could it be that the problems had been with Contest packages????
 - Switched right back to ARRL Int DX package and......   It works just fine.  Cannot make it fail, no matter what. 

So what I think I'm telling you is that we could possibly have a memory leak or some counter that takes a while to overload....  could maybe be in W-10.  I did NOT reboot the PC.  Only restarted the software.  Once the software was restarted, I cannot make it fail.  This was after running for about 7 hours, which is almost exactly what happened with the NAQP software, and probably WFD software.

Just throwing this out to you in the chance you get to have a look at some point.  I will try to leave the package runnign with my radio on to see if it fails after 7 or 8 hours. 

I know to restart the software when I see this again. 

Thank you for your time and for this software. 

--
Ken - K4EES

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.