RTTY RU Rules clarification

Larry Banks

Hi all,

I promised that I would update the list if I received any clarification from the ARRL-Contesting forum.  For those of you who are on that forum, you have been reading some interesting “discussion.”  At this point it still appears that the log checking software does not implement the rules as stated.  Here is a private message I received:
hi Larry - I'm rattling cages at the ARRL to pull that overview. They do see the problem and no rule change was intended. I'm waiting for positive confirmation that the 2020 logs will get the same treatment as 2019.
So for now, ignore that new language and just operate this weekend as you always have.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 12:07
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Second FT8 test of the RTTY RU module v3.7

Hmmmm..  Unfortunately  I used logic when I read the rules. Your argument is sound.  I suspect this may be a short-lived new rule as it makes little sense.  One might as well not operate on the second day.

This discussion needs to move to the ARRL-contesting forum.  If I get any clarification, I will report back.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 11:16

Larry,

I am not so sure.

The way I read it, if you start the contest, operate for an hour, take a 30 minute break (break 1), operate for an hour, take a 30 minute break (break 2), then the remainder of the time, actually operating or not, counts as operating time. That would include your 6 hour sleep period. Your allowed "24 hours of operating time" would only be 25 hours of clock time.

Steve, AI3KS

On 20/01/01 11:10, Larry Banks via Groups.Io wrote:
It appears to be very straightforward to me.  In calculating your 24 hours of "score-pertinent-on-time" you are only allowed two breaks of at least 30 minutes each.  More than two breaks don't count as breaks and do count toward your maximum of 24 hours of on-time.

Another way to look at it: if you take off six hours to sleep, you need not worry as your total time with no other breaks would not exceed 24 hours.

Personally, as I seldom spend more that 15 hours in any one contest, this will not effect me.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

-----Original Message----- From: Fred K2DFC via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 10:46
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

Getting ready for the RTTY contest. I will actually operate RTTY. Does anyone understand the two break rule listed in the contest rules? This seems to be something new that is a little confusing.

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.