Re: Log too big?

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

Mike, you hit the nail on the head….my laptop 32GB memory and 1T solid state drive…all works well

Have a nice T-Day everyone!

Frank

NG1I

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Olbrisch
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 8:22 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Log too big?

Good morning.

There is more to it than just the volume of records.  Amount of memory, amount of FREE memory, processor and speed, and what other programs running in the background can all make a huge difference.

One ”FREE” thing you can do to speed it up is this. Open your task manager and see what-all you have running.  Look to see what processes might be monopolizing your processor cycles, or reserving your memory.  Turn off those things you don’t need.

Look at my QRZ profile-photo of the operating desk.  That is an older Win-7 (64 bit) I got from an SK sale.  It isn’t anything special.  The only thing I did was double the memory and clean out all the programs it wouldn’t need.  All I use it for is logging and digital work.  Sure, a nice new Win-10 box would be nicer.  But this works, and I see no need to spend $$$$ for a replacement.

If I have to upgrade it from Win-7 to Win-10, it may suffer and need to be replaced once Win-7 is no longer supported.  We’ll see.

Give it a look.  Best of luck!

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

Big Bend JEEP Rear

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 6:36 PM Jim Shorney <jshorney@...> wrote:

27,000 QSOs will slow the database down. That's just the way it is. You can either run in Last 50 mode like most of us probably do or you can buy the fastest bad-boy computer you can get your hands on and equip it with the most RAM and fastest SSD you can get.

-Jim
NU0C

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 15:49:25 -0600
"Dale Martin" <kg5u@...> wrote:

> Any suggestions other than just using the logsheet in the  'Last 50' mode?
> There's a lot of 'downtime' in FT8, so I use it to go through the log and
> update the not-yet-confirmed QSOs S/R status to Y/Y and removing the
> confirmed QSO from LOTW.

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.