Re: Nov SS Logging problems...

Gregg Martell

At 12:08 PM 11/21/2005, Dave Reed wrote:
Hello Scott and the group!

<snip>
Secondly, and of more concern to me, was the fact that after about 5 or
6 hours of logging, the program quit showing my 'dupes'. In the early
hours, I would be presented with the 'Dupe' flag and fireworks as I
completed typing a callsign. Eventually, I was able to type a callsign
in the appropriate spot and call that station only to be told we had
worked before. I felt a little stupid after spending sometime telling
these double contacts that I am using a computer logging program and
that I did NOT have them in the log. I quickly found out that if I hit
the space bar after typing the call sign, it would, indeed, announce the
'dupe'--something the pop-up help bar says you don't have to do. I did
end up getting one call sign in my log twice. It was easily
<snip>

I didn't realize this was a problem - the program shows possible calls and then would show the dupe after hitting the spacebar. I assumed this was the way it was supposed to work. I use VHF log and haven't entered a VHF contest for a year, so I don't remember what that one does.

I did have some dupes though - late Sunday, I started mixing K and Qs and a couple of other letters,due to sleep depravation. Of course the program wouldn't catch these as dupes - just the return of "you're a dupe". It took a bit of head scratching before I figured out why they said I was a dupe when the program wasn't telling me!!! The worst part was that I kept doing it!!

This was the first time I ran one of Scott's programs with a "tracking map" and it wouldn't display properly on one of my computers as I was testing the program before the contest. The map only partially filled the pop-up window with a colored background. As I entered test QSOs, not all of the sections changed color to indicate they had been worked. It worked perfectly on another computer which is another excuse I can give my wife for having 8 computers at home. I'm assuming it's a video card issue.

This was my first sweepstakes and I had fun. Scott's program sure beat the sox's off of using CT as a contest logger.

Thanks,
Gregg
KI3G

This user group is a great forum for asking questions and sharing ideas with the valuable resource of both new and experienced N3FJP Software users, but it does get busy. There is an easy way to cut down on the e-mail volume. If you only want to receive announcements from Kimberly and me regarding upgrades and new products, please join our "announcements only" list instead. We keep e-mail to the "announcements only" list to an absolute minimum. Please join by sending a blank e-mail to:

N3FJP_Software-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Then unsubscribe from this user group by sending an email to:

As always, thanks for your interest, kind thoughts, support and spreading the word about our software!

73, Scott & Kimberly
N3FJP & KA3SEQ
http://www.n3fjp.com/

Serving the Amateur Radio Community with general logging and contesting software since 1997.

Yahoo! Groups Links