Re: ARRL RTTY Roundup Software Should Work for FT8 Roundup This Weekend

Larry Krist

When I would click on a station in Wsjt-X RC5, that I had already worked and logged in the N3FJP logging sofware, after a short delay, the N3FJP Software would pop up a big red box and say "Duplicate". It seemed to be a bit delayed like it did not do it until the transmission began.

Larry  N8CWU

On 12/3/2018 2:40 PM, Mark Johns via Groups.Io wrote:
Scott,

Thanks so much for your software and the support you give it here. I will certainly give feedback to Laurie, but one observation here is that when JTAlert plugs a callsign into the contest log, prior to the actual logging, the contest log doesn't appear to be doing a dup check. Nothing appears in the "partial" check box. This is true even upon tabbing over to the St/Pr?# box to enter the section. If typing the callsign in manually, all works as expected, but in this contest the callsign is not generally entered from the keyboard. I don't know if this is something in the contest log or in the way JTAlert is providing the information. But with JTAlert not consistently picking up the "B4" from the log file, and without reliable dup check from the contest log, it became very frustrating to get that bright red DUPLICATE message only after pressing Enter to log the QSO.
--

Mark D. Johns, KØJM (ex-KØMDJ)
Minneapolis, MN EN35hd

On Sunday, December 2, 2018, 5:24:09 AM CST, Scott Davis via Groups.Io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reports on the enhancement opportunities for interfacing JTAlert with ARRL RTTY Roundup contest log.  A couple things to keep in mind:

-  The FT8 Roundup rule set is the same as ARRL RTTY, so if the data is provided properly (or entered correctly manually), the logging part is good to go.  ARRL RTTY RU has been used successfully with FLDigi, N7YG Digital Engine and other digital programs for several years now.  It has proven fully capable of seamlessly logging properly transferred data.

-  My software has an API that allows digital program developers to interface with my programs if they choose, and to the extent to which they choose.

-  Laurie has done a fantastic job of interfacing JTAlert with AC Log.  I really appreciate all the hard work that Laurie has put into that effort and I know that many of you all do as well!

-  I have't discussed this specifically with Laurie, but I suspect he hasn't heard much in the way of requests to interface with my contest programs before now, so I don't think interfacing with ARRL RTTY RU has been something he has had reason to focus on before.  In fact, the new version of the WSJT software designed to support FT8 contest exchanges is only emerging now.

-  If you would like to see the data transfer improved from JTAlert to my ARRL RTTY software and other contest programs, such as Field Day and the VHF Contest Log, Laurie will have to address that via JTAlert.  If you hope to see continued development, you will need to make Laurie aware of what worked and where there were problems.  You should definitely share your experiences and requests with Laurie here:

-  It will be great if Laurie decides to work on the contest program aspect of the interface, but with all the other projects on his plate, we should totally understand if this is something Laurie decides to keep on the back burner for now.

Thanks again for your thoughts and input guys!