Re: WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

Pat Whelton

Hi Scott.  Thanks for your input.  Maybe I’m dense but why does the setup tab in the contest logger for “Setup Phone Default RS” state “Please enter the RS default you would like to use for phone”?  That sounds to me like it’s asking .... how do “you” want it to look.  If there is a default of “59” then why even ask the question?  

Anyway I’m putting this to bed and moving on.  All the great minds have spoken and given their two cents worth.  It is obvious that my telling people they are “five by nine” for the last 40 plus years has been in error.  I’ll try to do better in the future.

Regards,

Pat - KZ5J

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you ran into trouble.  Aside from the request for the option by a few QRP enthusiasts, there is typically never a reason to change the RST defaults in the contest software.

Bruce is correct.  59 for SSB or 599 for CW are the standard signal report exchanges in all the major contests.

I suggest that you correct the default now, so you don't forget and wind up encountering the same thing again next year.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Oct 29, 2018 6:23 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

Hi Pat,
Instead of 5X9, just use 59.  That should work with no problem.
       73,  ……  Bruce  N8BV

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM Pat Whelton <pwhelton@...> wrote:
If you entered the CQWW SSB contest this weekend and used the CQ WW DX Contesst Log V.5.7 please be aware of the following situation.  There a panel in the setup that says “Please enter the RS default you would like to use for phone”.  After editing my contest log for over two (2) hours manually I now know to NEVER, EVER, NEVER place “5X9” in this field.  Don’t do it even though the panel asks you what you want.  I submitted my log and the CQ Contest Robot spit it back because it didn’t like 5X9.  I had to edit the reports and resubmit.  The resubmit was also rejected because I only corrected the SENT report and forget to correct the RECEIVED report.  There were over 200 QSOs I had to do twice.

I vaguely remember this happening to me last year.  I’m an old man in my 70’s and I tend to forget things that happened a year ago.  I guarantee I hope to hell it doesn't happen again next year.   Two hours of manually editing was not a whole lot of fun.  Now I know all you real smart guys will tell me I should imported the file into Excel and done a mass edit but I wanted to make sure I didn’t screw up the file.

In case you are wondering I don’t work a lot of phone but when I do and I have to give a report I typically tell the other guy your 5 by 9.  So what do you put in your log?  5X9 I would think.   But nooooooo!!!!!   Two hours.

Also not sure what happened but my very first contact in the contest was VP6D.  For some reason this entry didn’t make it to the CQ Robot although it’s definitely in my log, it’s in the cabrillo file that was transmitted and it was during the contest perioed.  I’ll have to work this issue tomorrow.  It’s been a looooongggg day.  Two hours ...... grrrrr!!!!!

Pat - KZ5J

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.